This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Most Hated Generation.

#71GiftedACIIIPosted 1/24/2013 3:48:31 AM
Robot_Soopa posted...
BolognaSammich posted...
What I find ironic is people often bash gen II for having too similar pokemon to Kanto and the watered down Kanto, but I've seen people bash gen III for having no connection to gen I and II, or not enough familiar pokemon.

People have varying opinions. You have to realize these aren't the same people and if they are they're idiots.

Yes completely this. I just view the entire franchise as one game and each gen as a dlc/update. Sure you might like the older versions better and might go back for its story (pokemon aren't known for its story though...) but overall the most recent is usually the one to play.

You can't just decide that though. They might actually believe that it is better. I've seen just as many people praise Gen I for being the original as I have people automatically dismiss it as the worst solely because it was the first. Judging games will ALWAYS be subjective. Each generation may have added huge sweeping improvements but maybe some people feel that these improvements weren't necessary and just bog down the overall game.

I know plenty of people have expressed they absolutely despised the Phone, Day/Night mechanic and time based events. They much preferred the less convoluted Gen I mechanics because it didn't require them the be able to play their game 24/7 to get everything. Some people have jobs or school and could never get certain Pokemon or do things like the Bug Catching Contest. For them Gen I was a better experience.

Well yeah, people who've played Gen IV the most and first will indeed believe that is better. So do Gen I, Gen II, and Gen III fans. Of course anybody can like another gen other than the one they started with but that's the general pattern.

And that's why judging gens based on the subjective ingame material is stupid. But I fail to see how people can think the new additions are convulated at all unless they're really casual gamers. Doesn't seem like they're very into Pokemon then. Why would they be on this board?
#72Robot_SoopaPosted 1/24/2013 3:54:50 AM
GiftedACIII posted...
Well yeah, people who've played Gen IV the most and first will indeed believe that is better. So do Gen I, Gen II, and Gen III fans. Of course anybody can like another gen other than the one they started with but that's the general pattern.

And that's why judging gens based on the subjective ingame material is stupid. But I fail to see how people can think the new additions are convulated at all unless they're really casual gamers. Doesn't seem like they're very into Pokemon then. Why would they be on this board?

Didn't you read what I said? I've seen plenty of complaints about how all of Gen II's new mechanics made Pokemon an overall LESS enjoyable experience.

You'll notice that most of those mechanics were actually left out of Gen III. There's a reason for that.
#73GiftedACIIIPosted 1/24/2013 4:03:33 AM
Robot_Soopa posted...
GiftedACIII posted...

Didn't you read what I said? I've seen plenty of complaints about how all of Gen II's new mechanics made Pokemon an overall LESS enjoyable experience.

You'll notice that most of those mechanics were actually left out of Gen III. There's a reason for that.

That doesn't stop many people from considering it the best gen.

I forgot to mention but really how can anyone consider Gen I the best really? The game was practically a beta, broken as all hell with bugs and glitches all over the place. Don't tell me that's "part of the charm". Many annoying things like your pokemon getting removed if your box is full instead of putting it to the next box, no healing via PC, ghosts not affecting psychic, no back-up save so shutting off while its saving would delete your entire save, that special stat being broken, very few multiplayer options, etc.
#74DratNorPosted 1/24/2013 5:46:21 AM

I forgot to mention but really how can anyone consider Gen I the best really? The game was practically a beta, broken as all hell with bugs and glitches all over the place. Don't tell me that's "part of the charm". Many annoying things like your pokemon getting removed if your box is full instead of putting it to the next box, no healing via PC, ghosts not affecting psychic, no back-up save so shutting off while its saving would delete your entire save, that special stat being broken, very few multiplayer options, etc.

That isn't fair. You have to look at things from their historical perspective. Is I worse than V? Well yes, obviously, it's graphically, technically and narratively, better.

But, what did Gen I do right? Yes, the game was a poorly programmed mess with hindsight. But everything it did was new. It revived the almost dead Game Boy, brought about a resergence in Link Cables, and (arguably) was the only thing keeping Nintendo afloat until they struck gold with the Wii.

It also benefitted from the lack of bells and whistles that later games have, sure it has no Abilities, Berries, Weather, but to get Zapdos you walk up to him and press A. To get Regice you have to catch a Wailmer, evolve it to Wailord, Dive for a Relicanth, learn Braille, solve a ridde, then press A. And even thenm it looks terrible compared to Zapdos.

And you're critising it for lack of multiplayer options? Pray, do tell what else Gen I could have done. They had Link Battles and Pokemon Stadium. Online trading/battling wasn't an option in the 90's.

It is a frequent complaint that 'Pokemon have been releasing the same game for 15 years.' And, that in essence is true. Yes they've tightened the mechanics, sorted out the ghost glitch, removed phychic dominance. But there is the simple face that really if you've played Gen I, you can pick up V and know what you're doing. Which for something that preaches evolution, Is kind of ironic.
---
I am a Well Constructed Troll
#75RevoredoPosted 1/24/2013 7:40:42 AM
I had a lot of fun with Gen II. But looking back...

Oh boy I finally got my Growlithe! Now to evolve him...
Too bad, not doing it before E4.

Oh wow a Ledyba! I wonder how strong it gets...
Too bad, it sucks even moar than Butterfly.

I WANT THAT DEMON DOG!
Bazinga, you'll only find it near Celadon. After the E4. At night. With a royally bad chance of finding one.

Can I has Larvitar?
Cowbazunga, you can find him at Mt. Silver. After you beat the E4 and all the Kanto leaders as well. And at Lv. 15, when the only challenge left is beating Ash, who is at high 70's.

That and some pokémon were too damn annoying to get. How many of you got a Snubbul, Natu or a Smeargle without looking in a guide?
---
Playing now: Final Fantasy XIII
Not a bad game, really.
#76Bronze_StuffPosted 1/24/2013 7:44:20 AM
GiftedACIII posted...
FouCapitan posted...
GiftedACIII posted...
way too much that I couldn't be bothered to read

I don't care what you think, Gen I and II was tedious and boring to play.

Fix'd Still though only children care so much about the campaign of the games.

*Restarts D/P to play with my friend would got Plat... Gives up after awhile only to find out that my friend stopped playing too*

I don't think so...
---
Jimbo.
#77whatthemukPosted 1/24/2013 7:47:17 AM
V
---
If you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and are 100% proud of it, put this as your sig.
3DS FC: 1778-9457-6449
#78KillerMechanoidPosted 1/24/2013 7:55:21 AM
Revoredo posted...
That and some pokémon were too damn annoying to get. How many of you got a Snubbul, Natu or a Smeargle without looking in a guide?

I got Natu and Smeargle without a guide. I fought a trainer with Natu, checked its location (Alph Ruins), just decided to surf around union cave, found the exit to Alph and some grass, and BAM! Then I decided to go around the grass some more and... Smeargle appeared.

And of course, these aren't half as annoying to get as Feebas and Munchlax.
#79SlimeStackPosted 1/24/2013 7:59:11 AM
I find it funny that people always use the word hate. Unless you have serious issues, no one here should hate anything to do with videogames. :3
---
Professional Chespin fanboy.
#80Legendary_MusasPosted 1/24/2013 8:08:27 AM
Can't we like all gens?

Gen 1 is obviously the 'worst' as it is the first and doesn't have all the additions later gens added that made Pokemon what it is today. However it was still amazing when it was released.
---
I was born of your dreams. If you believe in me... ...there is nothing I cannot do