This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Grass starters are always prehistoric animals, fire starters= Chinese Zodiac

#21frozenphantomPosted 1/22/2013 7:29:11 PM
FuneralCake posted...
Nope. Go ahead, tell me why I'm wrong.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Frog_vs_Toad

You might be able to pull off Toad, but no way is the Bulbasaur line a frog.
---
SSBB friend code: 1633 3855 4864
#22VycoulPosted 1/22/2013 7:29:41 PM
DarthLaharl posted...
foxes, wolves, coyotes etc. are dogs. If you don't think foxes are dogs then your probably r****** or something.
---

Many lols were had.

FuneralCake posted...
Nope. Go ahead, tell me why I'm wrong.

Well... I've never thought about it much, but having "saur" at the end of every name implies to me that they are Dinosaurs.
---
Thank God for inner monologue. ~ Miles Edgeworth
#23Whats_Up4444Posted 1/22/2013 7:34:51 PM
reaverz posted...
I only consider the Fire/Fighting starters as part of the Chinese Zodiac. Yes, this means I expected a Fire/Fighting dragon starter at some point...

See, I always thought it was this until someone said it was all the fire starters.

This was before Fennekin was revealed.
---
Oh no! My http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/570198-basketball-nightmare/ ! :o
http://tital.bigforumpro.com/ Join the Haven of all Kingdom Hearts Roleplays!
#24animesonicxPosted 1/22/2013 7:36:34 PM
DarthLaharl posted...
FuneralCake posted...
Nope, they're all in the canidae family. Belonging to that family makes the animal a canid, not a dog.

Foxes are dogs. Please don't turn this into a thing. Foxes are dogs. Case closed.
---

No they're not case close.
---
official shiny gallade of the Pokemon boards
im a vampire masked blueberry swordsman. all your arguments are now in valid- name not known
#25Lapras24Posted 1/22/2013 7:38:46 PM
Meta289 posted...
Cyndaquil is an echidna. Echidnas are not rats.

Fennekin is a fox. Foxes are not dogs.

Chespin is a hedgehog. Hedgehogs are not whatever the hell that is.

I think you were looking for the word "Mammal" ?
#26GTomahawkPosted 1/22/2013 7:43:09 PM
Mudkip
axolotl

good joke thread IMO
#27MaurithPosted 1/22/2013 7:43:36 PM
Those crazy pre-historic hedgehogs!
---
Official Sawsbuck of the Pokemon XY boards
[Janna, Syndra, Rumble, Fizz, Ezreal, Katarina, Volibear, Lee Sin, Kog'Maw, Wukong, Nunu, Swain]
#28FuneralCakePosted 1/22/2013 7:50:00 PM
frozenphantom posted...
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Frog_vs_Toad

You might be able to pull off Toad, but no way is the Bulbasaur line a frog.

Everything I can find says that the difference between frogs and toads is simply naming convention. There's no taxonomic difference between the two, so, as far as I know with my pretend degree in imaginary biology, they're more or less the same animal.

Vycoul posted...
Well... I've never thought about it much, but having "saur" at the end of every name implies to me that they are Dinosaurs.

Well, for one, "saur" just means lizard. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're dinosaurs. Two, these are the translators and localization team who call Blastoise a shellfish, Weedle a hairy bug, Sandshrew and Cyndaquil mice, Zangoose a cat ferret, and Purugly a tiger cat. They just gave Bulbasaur and family the "-saur" suffix because they thought it sounded fun.
---
STOP CALLING ME HOME ROWED
shut up before i make you shut up
#29GTomahawkPosted 1/22/2013 7:52:10 PM
My favorite part is how there actually is a prehistoric animal they could have used for Bulbasaur (Dicynodont) and they still ended up giving it the most ass-backwards explanation possible.
#30Ari917Posted 1/22/2013 8:12:24 PM(edited)
FuneralCake posted...

Well, for one, "saur" just means lizard. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're dinosaurs. Two, these are the translators and localization team who call Blastoise a shellfish, Weedle a hairy bug, Sandshrew and Cyndaquil mice, Zangoose a cat ferret, and Purugly a tiger cat. They just gave Bulbasaur and family the "-saur" suffix because they thought it sounded fun.

Purugly does take some cues from Tiger cats, though it's primary basis are fat house cats.

I think more people think of dinosaurs when looking at the line rather then frogs. Another possibility is the aforementioned Dicynodonts, which while more related to mammals, looks more reptilian then amphibious.