This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Grass starters are always prehistoric animals, fire starters= Chinese Zodiac

#31FuneralCakePosted 1/22/2013 8:09:57 PM
The point about Purugly was that it's a bad translation. It should be a "tabby" Pokemon, but since the Japanese word for tabby is literally "tiger cat," the translation team screwed up.

I know most people won't agree with me on Bulbasaur being a frog, and that's okay. I probably have a lot of other Pokemon that I think are different from what's commonly accepted.
---
STOP CALLING ME HOME ROWED
shut up before i make you shut up
#32yzmanPosted 1/22/2013 8:10:55 PM
frozenphantom posted...
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Frog_vs_Toad

You might be able to pull off Toad, but no way is the Bulbasaur line a frog.

Everything I can find says that the difference between frogs and toads is simply naming convention. There's no taxonomic difference between the two, so, as far as I know with my pretend degree in imaginary biology, they're more or less the same animal.

Vycoul posted...
Well... I've never thought about it much, but having "saur" at the end of every name implies to me that they are Dinosaurs.

Well, for one, "saur" just means lizard. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're dinosaurs. Two, these are the translators and localization team who call Blastoise a shellfish, Weedle a hairy bug, Sandshrew and Cyndaquil mice, Zangoose a cat ferret, and Purugly a tiger cat. They just gave Bulbasaur and family the "-saur" suffix because they thought it sounded fun.

All toads are frogs, not all frogs are toads.

http://allaboutfrogs.org/weird/general/frogtoad.html

the bulba line is definitely not frogs or toads. I don't even see how someone could see that. We have enough other examples of toads/frogs to see that they are not one.

politoed
sesmitoad
---
"As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there, he wasn't there again today, i wish I wish he'd go away."
#33VycoulPosted 1/22/2013 8:14:59 PM(edited)
FuneralCake posted...
Well, for one, "saur" just means lizard. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're dinosaurs. Two, these are the translators and localization team who call Blastoise a shellfish, Weedle a hairy bug, Sandshrew and Cyndaquil mice, Zangoose a cat ferret, and Purugly a tiger cat. They just gave Bulbasaur and family the "-saur" suffix because they thought it sounded fun.

Ah, good points. I didn't know "saur" only meant lizard.

However, there has always been such a huge difference in coherence between the Pokedex entries and the Pokemon names. I can't think of a reason for this other than maybe they leave the 'Dex entries to some different, less skilled, and cheaper part of their localization team?

Also, I just really don't see a frog when I look at the Bulba line. =P I see a mishmash Dinosaur.
They don't really exhibit any of the frog-like characteristics (Like a long tongue and relationship with water) other than just being green and being on all fours.
---
Thank God for inner monologue. ~ Miles Edgeworth
#34FuneralCakePosted 1/22/2013 8:19:38 PM
yzman posted...
All toads are frogs, not all frogs are toads.

http://allaboutfrogs.org/weird/general/frogtoad.html

Well, my pretend degree in imaginary biology tends to disagree, but I'll take your word for it.

the bulba line is definitely not frogs or toads. I don't even see how someone could see that. We have enough other examples of toads/frogs to see that they are not one.

politoed
sesmitoad

Because it's impossible to have different Pokemon based on the same animal yet look completely different. Seems legit.

And here's another example of me being different: I say Poliwrath is a frog, yet most people disagree with me, and I'm okay with that.

Vycoul posted...
However, there has always been such a huge difference in coherence between the Pokedex entries and the Pokemon names. I can't think of a reason for this other than maybe they leave the 'Dex entries to some different, less skilled, and cheaper part of their localization team?

I just chalk it up to them being human. Everyone makes mistakes, I guess.

Also, I just really don't see a frog when I look at the Bulba line. =P I see a mishmash Dinosaur.
They don't really exhibit any of the frog-like characteristics (Like a long tongue and relationship with water) other than just being green and being on all fours.

That's fine. Personally, I think they look enough like a frog to be one, even if they're not exactly like a frog. I mean, this is a series where Pikachu is supposed to be a mouse, but doesn't really look exactly like one. Some artistic expression is allowed, I think.
---
#35Shadow_StarWolfPosted 1/22/2013 8:37:41 PM
I feel like I'm being trolled on both sides with this topic.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZOdcN.png
We Are XROS HEART!
#36RethalwolfPosted 1/22/2013 8:41:41 PM
GATTJT posted...
Bulbasaur and family are frogs.

You're joking, right?

FuneralCake posted...
Nope. Go ahead, tell me why I'm wrong.

Yeah, you're not.
He's not wrong.
---
"The point of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the enemy die for his."
#37VydaoPosted 1/22/2013 9:41:47 PM
Axolotls do live their entire lives in water. They are related to the salamander but never go through the metamorphosis to grow lungs.
---
Whats green, hangs from a wall, and whistles?
representin quadriplegic gamers around the world
#38Virtual_BoyPosted 1/22/2013 10:48:06 PM
Okay, really? Nobody is going to say anything about hyenas being called felines?
#39banjo kazooiePosted 1/22/2013 10:59:42 PM
FuneralCake posted...
I say Poliwrath is a frog, yet most people disagree with me, and I'm okay with that.

Wait... People think Poliwrath isn't a frog?
---
*(int *)nullptr = 0;
http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
#40FuneralCakePosted 1/22/2013 11:10:00 PM
According to a topic about Pokemon frogs I read a little while ago, I was apparently one of the only people to think it was a frog. I guess because it's classified as a "tadpole" Pokemon, that means it can't be a frog. Something like that.
---