This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A new twist on an old idea...

#1ADono4Posted 1/23/2013 11:34:59 AM
I'm honestly not sure of how well it would actually work, but I'm beginning to realize that 99% of Pokemon players will have a starter on their team. That's all fine and dandy, but only having three really does make each replay have less and less value. That's why I'm suggesting a much needed expansion of the starter idea.

8 Starters... Yes, that's a lot. But here me out.

Excluding the normal type, this would allow each starter to have a different secondary type to accommodate for each and every type. And the combinations could change every generation as well.

And before I go any further, I'm fully aware of the reasons it would never happen. So don't get into that. I'm just saying it would be a nice expansion of the starter concept that has gotten old rather quickly.

So here is an example...

GROUND / BUG
DARK / ELECTRIC
DRAGON / GRASS
FIGHT / POISON
FIRE / GHOST
FLYING / STEEL
ROCK / ICE
PSYCHIC / WATER

You know, something like that. Obviously I didn't take much time to weigh each typing combination but it could work. Please post your thoughts.

I'm also aware that it is a deviation from the norm, which is usually not good in a Pokemon game. But since when was more options a bad thing, right?
---
This signature will not be changed until someone tells me to do otherwise.
#2VampLordAdamaruPosted 1/23/2013 11:37:50 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to this, and I think most would like more options, but, as you said, it will likely never happen, sad as that is.
---
Founder - IRDC AND Fluffy the Friendly Deathclaw Fanclub
ULCE#: 9,426 of 53,160
#3ADono4(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 11:40:30 AM
VampLordAdamaru posted...
I wouldn't be opposed to this, and I think most would like more options, but, as you said, it will likely never happen, sad as that is.

Yeah, but fortunately Game Freak seems to be the best at taking changes in their games and making them seem like they aren't changes. They do so well in that aspect where it just seems like an improvement, not a change. So if they could somehow manipulate it so that it was just seemingly an improvement, I don't think they would be opposed to it either. The only down side I see is that it would either increase the pokedex by 15 or it would decrease the amount of non-starter pokemon in the pokedex.
---
#4AmphetaPosted 1/23/2013 11:45:53 AM
Are you trying to say that having more starters will increase that 99% to 100%?
#5ADono4(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 11:50:32 AM
Ampheta posted...

Yes, but there is more to choose from with 8, as opposed to having one of three pokemon that everyone else has. So in a way, yes, but in another way, it'll make it less likely to have the same starter as someone else.
---
#6AmphetaPosted 1/23/2013 11:54:30 AM
ADono4 posted...
Ampheta posted...

Yes, but there is more to choose from with 8, as opposed to having one of three pokemon that everyone else has. So in a way, yes, but in another way, it'll make it less likely to have the same starter as someone else.

Hmmm... I agree. Great Idea. :)
#7HauntedBulletsPosted 1/23/2013 12:11:22 PM
The only problem is that each starter will have 3 forms and that you would only be able to obtain 1 of 8 pokemon...meaning.....

21 total pokemon that you can not get(18 of which you might not even see.)

out of 150 pokemon thats a large chunk of non-catchables and thats not including the Version Exclusives, meaning that about 1/5 of the pokemon are only attainable through trading or cheating.

Huge influx of cheated pokemon.
---
PSN: HauntedBullets
#8FungusForBrainsPosted 1/23/2013 12:14:07 PM
I'd be opposed to an instant and drastic change like eight starters, but four or five I wouldn't mind, provided it would be balanced right. But that would be incredibly hard, to balance out a type... square. Or pentagon.
#9LoinatorPosted 1/23/2013 12:18:37 PM
FungusForBrains posted...
I'd be opposed to an instant and drastic change like eight starters, but four or five I wouldn't mind, provided it would be balanced right. But that would be incredibly hard, to balance out a type... square. Or pentagon.

/\ Hard?
Do you really play Pokemon? XD
---
Lance FTW o/.
#10VampLordAdamaruPosted 1/23/2013 12:23:04 PM
Loinator posted...
FungusForBrains posted...

/\ Hard?
Do you really play Pokemon? XD

He meant that with five starters, making sure they were balanced correctly among all five would be difficult from a designer standpoint, not a player standpoint.
---
Founder - IRDC AND Fluffy the Friendly Deathclaw Fanclub
ULCE#: 9,426 of 53,160