This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would this be a feature you would like?

#1superstud69xPosted 1/23/2013 11:06:42 PM
Inspired by this topic (kinda)-

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/65265707

I thought it would be cool to be able to challenge Gym Leaders in a non-set order and depending on when you battled them, they would have a different team. For example-

The Fire Gym Leader would have a team of 2 unevolved Level 13 Pokemon if you challenged him first, like you were supposed to (being in the first major city/town you arrive in), but if you skipped him and came back to get him for your 5th badge instead, he would have 4 Level 32 Pokemon, 2 of which are his original Pokemon but Evolved fully and the other 2 are mid-evolutions or no evolution Pokemon.

And by the same reasoning you could fight the Dragon leader 1st instead of 7th and instead of 4 level 40 Evolved dragons he would have 2 unevolved level 13 dragons.

Obviously, this would require a starting town near all of the Gyms, and for the trainers on each route leading to it, they would be at a level appropriate to the number of badges you had (1 badge- level 14-19 Pokemon. 5 Badges- level 30-36 Pokemon)
---
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
#2Anticitizen97Posted 1/23/2013 11:19:25 PM
Now, I have mixed feelings.
In one hand, it'd be cool to change it up a little.
Now in the other, it'd muck up the exploration quite a bit.
To make this work, they could only really make some gyms go out of order :/
Emerald had something like that, you could skip the fighting gym.
Never needed the Flash HM anyway right? :P
Doing it was more of a nuisance anyway.
Of course, i'm straying away from the topic, aren't I?

In order to make this work, how would the region be set up?
Since regions still need diversity like mountains and water.

Even if they did set it up right, it might make exploration less important.
Villages, caves, mountains... all these things help make the games, imo.
In any case I guess seeing a change might be cool.
Let's just wait and see what the map ends up looking like :P
---
@(*.*)@ I'm on the karma payment plan.
Anticitizen stamps of approval given: 5
#3Robot_SoopaPosted 1/23/2013 11:22:33 PM
They could just do what they should have done years ago and get rid of the forced HM bs.

Just let any Pokemon that can learn these moves automatically use them out of battle without having to learn them. You shouldn't have to teach a water Pokemon to swim nor should a strong Pokemon be taught to push things.

Story might suffer a lot though.
#4soMEguy_povoPosted 1/23/2013 11:23:04 PM
Yeah, that would actually fix one of my largest complaints with this series (lack of freedom, plot too rigid). One thing I would change though would be instead of having all 8 gyms from the start, maybe you have it in tiers so as to save time in programming in all the possible teams the leaders might use. So maybe the first 3 would be unlocked, then some plot would happen, then maybe the next 4, more plot, and finally gym number 8.
---
Another day successfully wasted.
"I need a new quote for this signature." - Me
#5Robot_SoopaPosted 1/23/2013 11:25:37 PM
I mentioned the story suffering but a good way to handle it could be that if you skip gyms/towns the Evil Team progresses in their plans further than they're supposed to and end up becoming stronger with a heavier influence over the world.
#6superstud69x(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 11:41:19 PM
Yeah, that would actually fix one of my largest complaints with this series (lack of freedom, plot too rigid). One thing I would change though would be instead of having all 8 gyms from the start, maybe you have it in tiers so as to save time in programming in all the possible teams the leaders might use. So maybe the first 3 would be unlocked, then some plot would happen, then maybe the next 4, more plot, and finally gym number 8.

This is a better implementation than what I proposed, so let's go with yours
---
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
#7Whats_Up4444Posted 1/23/2013 11:42:30 PM
Robot_Soopa posted...
I mentioned the story suffering but a good way to handle it could be that if you skip gyms/towns the Evil Team progresses in their plans further than they're supposed to and end up becoming stronger with a heavier influence over the world.

That sounds cool.

I can picture you start in the center and have three or four different paths. Which lead into the gyms a town or two ahead.

Then after passing that gym it leads to another gym.

Going left is forest region and Grass/Bug Gym Leaders, down is beach-like, water gym, maybe fighting, and up is mountains for Dragon and Flying.

Right leads to mix and odd and ends.

Of course you don't need to back track after beating the two gyms, you go circular and reach the next one, go south, then have another choice to two different towns.

Yeah, we might have to back track a couple of times because of poor to none planning, but hey how hard is it to go in a circle? Or a 8+ sided shape. >_>

Just an idea- HOLY S*** THAT'S MY TOPIC IN THE OP! O___O
---
Oh no! My http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/570198-basketball-nightmare/ ! :o
http://tital.bigforumpro.com/ Join the Haven of all Kingdom Hearts Roleplays!
#8Anticitizen97Posted 1/23/2013 11:45:18 PM
Whats_Up4444 posted...
Robot_Soopa posted...

That sounds cool.

I can picture you start in the center and have three or four different paths. Which lead into the gyms a town or two ahead.

Then after passing that gym it leads to another gym.

Going left is forest region and Grass/Bug Gym Leaders, down is beach-like, water gym, maybe fighting, and up is mountains for Dragon and Flying.

Right leads to mix and odd and ends.

Of course you don't need to back track after beating the two gyms, you go circular and reach the next one, go south, then have another choice to two different towns.

Yeah, we might have to back track a couple of times because of poor to none planning, but hey how hard is it to go in a circle? Or a 8+ sided shape. >_>

Just an idea- HOLY S*** THAT'S MY TOPIC IN THE OP! O___O

Autograph? :3
---
@(*.*)@ I'm on the karma payment plan.
Anticitizen stamps of approval given: 5
#9Whats_Up4444Posted 1/23/2013 11:46:06 PM
Maybe Ground/Water gym(s) for beach?

Maybe a Ground-Water hybrid gym with like Quagsire and Gastrodon and a few others, maybe new Water/Ground types.

I'd like a Fighting Gym in the beach area because I can see Karate Kid's scene. >_>
---
#10Whats_Up4444Posted 1/23/2013 11:50:40 PM(edited)
Anticitizen97 posted...
Autograph? :3

*signs "Mr.Up" on chest *
---