This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are all Pokemon I like NU

#71GiftedACIIIPosted 1/25/2013 4:54:08 PM
DarkDragon386 posted...
http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue21/charizard

There's one of the more elitist articles I've read from Smogon. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot more friendly and helpful stuff on Smogon, but there is the occasional elitist article, such as that one.

Coupled with Kyogre, I've used Gyarados to success in Ubers, unlike the claims of that article.

It looks like that author is just a jerk. Its funny because on that very same issue there was an Uber RMT that had the author say that it was his time not having Gyaradoes on it. And of course this author tells us to not listen to that other one, trickroom. Yeah, its just the rare elitist. Those articles aren't to be taken so seriously either.
#72ClassyOldHatPosted 1/25/2013 5:01:32 PM
GiftedACIII posted...
Do you have a link to that Smog article? Most of the smog articles now have an emphasis on NU, having featured RMTs, underrated movesets, and a unique what's new to NU that other tiers don't have. Times indeed have changed.

Yeah, looking through The Smog's archive made it clear that it's not nearly as bad as when I first tried getting into competitive Pokemon. Still a few jerks in places, but hey, no fandom is perfect.

Anyway, here's the article: http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue21/bottom_barrel
#73GiftedACIIIPosted 1/25/2013 5:22:40 PM
ClassyOldHat posted...
GiftedACIII posted...
Do you have a link to that Smog article? Most of the smog articles now have an emphasis on NU, having featured RMTs, underrated movesets, and a unique what's new to NU that other tiers don't have. Times indeed have changed.

Yeah, looking through The Smog's archive made it clear that it's not nearly as bad as when I first tried getting into competitive Pokemon. Still a few jerks in places, but hey, no fandom is perfect.

Anyway, here's the article: http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue21/bottom_barrel

Those articles are more like just general observations on how some characters that were thought to be great in the metagame worked out throughout the years. Its saying how some pokemon were overrated. Of course that doesn't make them bad, they were used often for a reason. Its just seeing how common Pokemon in the beginning of the metagame changed and dropped in the end. I find those articles interesting actually seeing how I had a year and a half hiatus from pokemon
#74TehTrumpCardPosted 1/25/2013 5:24:40 PM
Stop liking Pokemon based on appearances?
---
...Life is tedious if it ain't flowing...
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN (PS3+Vita): TehTrumpCard
#75sonicqaz2Posted 1/25/2013 5:26:50 PM
Aesthetics is a hallmark of the franchise.
---
XBOX GT: Lucky Duck 55
#76overmaxxPosted 1/25/2013 5:29:03 PM
Smogo(o)n is full of idiots and the devil, the community reeks of elitism miles away.

Except, there is nothing wrong with their tier system itself, or their methods. Please direct your hate correctly.
#77overmaxxPosted 1/25/2013 5:34:21 PM
360pages posted...
You could also do mix tier matches. 2 OU/ 2 UU/ 2 NU. That way you can use pokemon you like through all the tiers.

This interests me.
Is this a thing? Or is it "play with your friends like this because no one plays like this"?
#78360pagesPosted 1/25/2013 5:37:48 PM
overmaxx posted...
360pages posted...
You could also do mix tier matches. 2 OU/ 2 UU/ 2 NU. That way you can use pokemon you like through all the tiers.

This interests me.
Is this a thing? Or is it "play with your friends like this because no one plays like this"?

Well, I've seen plenty of Youtube vids that use that set up, but I have a feeling a lot of people don't like it due to having to use four so called lesser pokemon. I would ask around the battle boards.
---
Gamefaqs in a nutshell (http://error1355.com/img/gif/gamefaqscant.gif)
#79360pagesPosted 1/25/2013 5:39:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfpyMRHLE00

This is how they usually play out.
---
Gamefaqs in a nutshell (http://error1355.com/img/gif/gamefaqscant.gif)
#80ClassyOldHatPosted 1/26/2013 10:19:43 PM
GiftedACIII posted...
Those articles are more like just general observations on how some characters that were thought to be great in the metagame worked out throughout the years. Its saying how some pokemon were overrated. Of course that doesn't make them bad, they were used often for a reason. Its just seeing how common Pokemon in the beginning of the metagame changed and dropped in the end. I find those articles interesting actually seeing how I had a year and a half hiatus from pokemon

Um, I hate to be rude, but did you read beyond the Scrafty and Metagross portions? I can see what you mean there, but all the other entries give off a pretty big "why are you still using these worthless Pokemon?" vibe. And are pretty rude to the players who use them as well, at times.

Of course that doesn't make them bad, they were used often for a reason.

The author of the article didn't seem to think so (the stuff in bold is my thoughts):

Don't be like user: Keiran:... Be professional
(Demeaning specific players in articles not directly related to them, in general, is a poor practice, but doing so for for making a beginner's mistake is hardly the mark of a "professional," in my book.

For more information, please refer to Why You Suck at Ubers

it's not like Ambipom was good in DPP, either, so I have no idea why in the world people continue to use it... Yep, Cinccino is both cuter and genuinely better than Ambipom, so if you want to use something funky that won't exactly do you any favors, stick to that. I honestly don't get what people see in it.

Ambipom will forever be nothing special. Is there hope? For Ambipom? Nope. For the tier? Maybe. The most recent tier shift brought with it a Pokémon that completely outclasses Ambipom—Mienshao—so hopefully UU players will see the light and stop using the pathetic little monkey.

Even Hitmontop, who isn't exactly what I would call a good Pokémon, does the whole "Censored Rapid Spin user" thing better.

Claydol was always bad. It was subpar in ADV OU, it was bad in DPP UU, and it's absolutely terrible in BW UU. This is why I'm so baffled as to why people insist on using it. It's not even good in RU, but we UU players should be nice anyway and let it get back to being mediocre in its proper tier.

Ah yes, a Pokémon so terrible that it's tiered below its pre-evolution (who, incidentally, is just as bad).

Despite this, it inexplicably continues to see usage in NU, more so than other potent Rock-types like Cradily and Relicanth, both of which have a much better niche than Gigalith.

This last one seems counter to everything people say about Smogon's tiers allowing people a chance to use their favorites in a environment that suits them. If you're going to berate players for using a fully evolved favorite of theirs in NU, the absolute lowest tier, then where CAN they use their favorites without judgement?

Honestly, if you still think this is purely about metagame changes making some Pokemon less useful, without bashing on Pokemon or the players that use them by now, look at the closing statement:

So guys, what did we learn today? If your answer is anything other than "to not use bad Pokémon," I suggest you read the article again. Otherwise, good job and see you next time!

Yeah... That's the kind of elitism that put me off competitive for years.

But regardless, I have seen the better side of Smogon outside of tiers and moveset advice, so I'll just be thankful guys like this are simply a loud minority now.