This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ok, I hav to ask. What is Smogon ?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Ok, I hav to ask. What is Smogon ?
3 years ago#1
I've never really been into compettive online, but I plan on taking it up once I go out and buy Black 2 in a few days, and I keep seeing people on these boards talking about Smogon and rateing Pokemon like UU and UM, UA, ect I've never seen the term Smogon used in game, so I am guessing it's some unofficial ranking system that everyone uses?
3 years ago#2
It's the face of evil.
"I'm no Jedi; I'm just a guy with a lightsaber and a few questions." - Kyle Katarn
3 years ago#3
http://www.smogon.com/
My swagger brings all the scrubs to the yard.
3 years ago#4
CakeOfLies posted...
It's the face of evil.
Official Dragonite of the Pokemon X & Y Boards
3DS FC: 3093 - 7635 - 8978
3 years ago#5
Smogon is the German name for Koffing.
"[Soccer] is like chess, only without the dice." -Lukas Podolski
3 years ago#6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Ajom97JsA
Official Everything of every board.
3 years ago#7
It's a website that tries to balance competitive Pokémon battling by dividing Pokémon into "tiers" in two ways; mainly based on usage, but banning overly strong Pokémon from certain tiers. The tier order is:

Uber -- a banlist for OU. Also played as a tier.
OU -- "Over Used"; the most-used Pokémon that aren't banned to Uber. The "main" tier, as it were.
BL -- "Borderline"; a banlist for UU. It and BL2 are not played as tiers.
UU -- "Under Used"; Pokémon that aren't used enough to be in OU, but are still pretty good and used often enough.
BL2 -- "Borderline 2"; a banlist for RU. Not played as a tier.
RU -- "Rarely Used"; like the other Us, just Pokémon that are less-used than those in UU.
NU -- "Never Used"; all fully-evolved Pokémon (and usable Not Fully Evolved Pokémon) that aren't in any other tier.
NFE -- "Not Fully Evolved"; contains all not-fully evolved Pokémon, and not really a tier, just a list.
LC -- "Little Cup"; based on an official Nintendo ruleset, involves only Pokémon that can evolve and have not evolved, at Level 5.
Gen VI in 2013? I'll believe that when Iris becomes Champion!
Official Pokemon #678 of the Pokemon X boards. What?
3 years ago#8
pokemonfreak97 posted...
It's a website that tries to balance competitive Pokémon battling by dividing Pokémon into "tiers" in two ways; mainly based on usage, but banning overly strong Pokémon from certain tiers. The tier order is:

Uber -- a banlist for OU. Also played as a tier.
OU -- "Over Used"; the most-used Pokémon that aren't banned to Uber. The "main" tier, as it were.
BL -- "Borderline"; a banlist for UU. It and BL2 are not played as tiers.
UU -- "Under Used"; Pokémon that aren't used enough to be in OU, but are still pretty good and used often enough.
BL2 -- "Borderline 2"; a banlist for RU. Not played as a tier.
RU -- "Rarely Used"; like the other Us, just Pokémon that are less-used than those in UU.
NU -- "Never Used"; all fully-evolved Pokémon (and usable Not Fully Evolved Pokémon) that aren't in any other tier.
NFE -- "Not Fully Evolved"; contains all not-fully evolved Pokémon, and not really a tier, just a list.
LC -- "Little Cup"; based on an official Nintendo ruleset, involves only Pokémon that can evolve and have not evolved, at Level 5.

Thanks. It all makes perfect sense now. I guess I'd better get on there and give it a look.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Ok, I hav to ask. What is Smogon ?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived