This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ok, I hav to ask. What is Smogon ?

#1PsychoWolfXPosted 1/25/2013 2:10:58 PM
I've never really been into compettive online, but I plan on taking it up once I go out and buy Black 2 in a few days, and I keep seeing people on these boards talking about Smogon and rateing Pokemon like UU and UM, UA, ect I've never seen the term Smogon used in game, so I am guessing it's some unofficial ranking system that everyone uses?
#2CakeOfLiesPosted 1/25/2013 2:11:26 PM
It's the face of evil.
---
"I'm no Jedi; I'm just a guy with a lightsaber and a few questions." - Kyle Katarn
#3SilverSaint7Posted 1/25/2013 2:11:48 PM
http://www.smogon.com/
---
My swagger brings all the scrubs to the yard.
#4ConnorTheOtterPosted 1/25/2013 2:11:57 PM
CakeOfLies posted...
It's the face of evil.

---
Official Dragonite of the Pokemon X & Y Boards
3DS FC: 3093 - 7635 - 8978
#5kwando1313Posted 1/25/2013 2:12:56 PM
Smogon is the German name for Koffing.
---
"[Soccer] is like chess, only without the dice." -Lukas Podolski
#6R0cks0l1ddPosted 1/25/2013 2:13:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Ajom97JsA
---
Official Everything of every board.
#7pokemonfreak97Posted 1/25/2013 2:19:10 PM
It's a website that tries to balance competitive Pokémon battling by dividing Pokémon into "tiers" in two ways; mainly based on usage, but banning overly strong Pokémon from certain tiers. The tier order is:

Uber -- a banlist for OU. Also played as a tier.
OU -- "Over Used"; the most-used Pokémon that aren't banned to Uber. The "main" tier, as it were.
BL -- "Borderline"; a banlist for UU. It and BL2 are not played as tiers.
UU -- "Under Used"; Pokémon that aren't used enough to be in OU, but are still pretty good and used often enough.
BL2 -- "Borderline 2"; a banlist for RU. Not played as a tier.
RU -- "Rarely Used"; like the other Us, just Pokémon that are less-used than those in UU.
NU -- "Never Used"; all fully-evolved Pokémon (and usable Not Fully Evolved Pokémon) that aren't in any other tier.
NFE -- "Not Fully Evolved"; contains all not-fully evolved Pokémon, and not really a tier, just a list.
LC -- "Little Cup"; based on an official Nintendo ruleset, involves only Pokémon that can evolve and have not evolved, at Level 5.
---
Gen VI in 2013? I'll believe that when Iris becomes Champion!
Official Pokemon #678 of the Pokemon X boards. What?
#8PsychoWolfX(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 2:29:34 PM
pokemonfreak97 posted...
It's a website that tries to balance competitive Pokémon battling by dividing Pokémon into "tiers" in two ways; mainly based on usage, but banning overly strong Pokémon from certain tiers. The tier order is:

Uber -- a banlist for OU. Also played as a tier.
OU -- "Over Used"; the most-used Pokémon that aren't banned to Uber. The "main" tier, as it were.
BL -- "Borderline"; a banlist for UU. It and BL2 are not played as tiers.
UU -- "Under Used"; Pokémon that aren't used enough to be in OU, but are still pretty good and used often enough.
BL2 -- "Borderline 2"; a banlist for RU. Not played as a tier.
RU -- "Rarely Used"; like the other Us, just Pokémon that are less-used than those in UU.
NU -- "Never Used"; all fully-evolved Pokémon (and usable Not Fully Evolved Pokémon) that aren't in any other tier.
NFE -- "Not Fully Evolved"; contains all not-fully evolved Pokémon, and not really a tier, just a list.
LC -- "Little Cup"; based on an official Nintendo ruleset, involves only Pokémon that can evolve and have not evolved, at Level 5.

Thanks. It all makes perfect sense now. I guess I'd better get on there and give it a look.