This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Isn't Nidoran kinda special?

#1GTRagnarokPosted 1/27/2013 2:30:12 PM
AFAIK, it's the only Pokemon where the different genders have a different evolutionary line with it's own appearances and moves learned. I guess it's due to a lack of foresight from Game Freak. Introducing gender in Gen 2 made some things weird, like having a female Mr. Mime. But if they made certain Pokemon like Jynx female only, why didn't they just make Mr. Mime male only?
---
Alienware M17x R4 | i7-3720QM | 2GB 7970M | 16GB DDR3-1600 | 128GB Samsung PM830 mSATA SSD
#2McTCMPosted 1/27/2013 2:30:47 PM
mr mime has no mr in the japanese name
---
~Pokemon~
FC:2537 8652 0098
#3TableFlipPosted 1/27/2013 2:31:11 PM
Because Barrier
---
I don't even know anymore.
#4TIGERJACKS0NPosted 1/27/2013 2:35:56 PM
the 2 nidorans are actually different pokemon though. with different dex entries. so not really.
---
http://imageshack.us/a/img210/9229/ttt2kunimitsubikinibyke.jpg
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/652997-tekken-tag-tournament-2/63435382
#5ElemayowePosted 1/27/2013 2:36:32 PM
Gen IV had some gender specific lines, Gallade, Frosslass, Vespiquen, so they aren't unique in that respect, and many Pokemon have different forms/appearances for genders, but Nidoran's uniqueness comes in the fact that it has separate Pokedex entries and numbers with regard to gender.
I agree that it was most likely a lack of forethought on GF's part.
#6PChaosWMPosted 1/27/2013 2:38:57 PM
I think they'll eventually get wise and classify them as one Pokemon. They'll have more extreme gender differences than most Pokemon, but is anyone really going to care?
---
||===============|| PerfectChaosWM ||===============||
||=|| Growing old is mandatory. ||=|| Growing up is optional. ||=||
#7sinfulGrimoirePosted 1/27/2013 2:38:58 PM
Elemayowe posted...
Gen IV had some gender specific lines, Gallade, Frosslass, Vespiquen, so they aren't unique in that respect, and many Pokemon have different forms/appearances for genders, but Nidoran's uniqueness comes in the fact that it has separate Pokedex entries and numbers with regard to gender.
I agree that it was most likely a lack of forethought on GF's part.

The difference between those gender-specific evolutions and the Nidorans is that each Nidoran is a separate Pokemon.

There isn't a different Ralts that evolves into a different Kirlia that evolves into Gallade. It's just whether Kirlia is male or female. Same goes for Frosslass and Vespiquen. Though, Combee can't evolve at all if it isn't female.
#8sinfulGrimoirePosted 1/27/2013 2:39:34 PM
PChaosWM posted...
I think they'll eventually get wise and classify them as one Pokemon. They'll have more extreme gender differences than most Pokemon, but is anyone really going to care?

Doubtful. The entire Pokedex would decrease by one if they did that.
#9KitschgardenerPosted 1/27/2013 2:46:35 PM
I think they'll eventually get wise and classify them as one Pokemon.

Nah. They've slightly different niches and movepools.
#10Missing NumberPosted 1/27/2013 2:47:27 PM
By 3 if they did it right

Nidorina / queen being special as their forms are announced in their names, wouldn't be too hard and it would open up other possibilities for gender specific names such as but not limited to Mrs.mime , slowsis , and geodudette .... but at the same time, its kinda redundant

What would be better is feminine humanoids.... not talking overly effeminate but, machop family line in bikinis would be funny
---
If I ain't gonna be part of the greatest, I gotta be the greatest myself! ~ Busta Rhymes