This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

To competitive players, would you like this?

#1BlackSaborPosted 1/29/2013 9:46:04 AM
Random crits are about the only reason I don't take competitive pokemon seriously anymore.

So what if they took them out finally, and to counter boosted pokemon, just added a bunch of new things/more things to counter an extremely powerfully boosted up pokemon?

Examples of things they could add to allow this change
-Priority Haze/Clear Smog move
-Actually good Unaware defensive pokemon
-More moves that ignore boosts themselves
-New ability that on hit clears all boosts (So that you can give this pokemon a sash or something. It would be an interesting pokemon to have. If it was fast you could then destiny bond or Revenge, or something to work with the 1 HP)
-More moves that always crit. (Of course they would still have to be pretty low power.)

What do you think of this idea, and the new changes I purposed? What didn't I list here would help this much needed change to competitive pokemon?
#2ninjarauiPosted 1/29/2013 9:49:33 AM
Luck is a part of any game. Its not like the crit system is broken. If one stroke of bad luck is all that kept you from winning, then it could of gone either way to begin with.

I do like the Hazing things you mentioned though, it would make it so maybe I would see slightly less of the dragons when I go online.
#3GeminiWKPosted 1/29/2013 9:51:36 AM
They should add some kind of accuracy minigame you need to during the battle if your move lacks like 100% accuracy. The minigame can be like hitting some kind of dot in said number of time. The lower the accuracy the harder the minigame. Oh and I hate random crits. I also hate when Draco Meteor misses. Focus blast misses less than Draco meteor does for me. SMH
---
Member of the Sophia Esteed fan club. Sophia forever <3
#4InhaledCornPosted 1/29/2013 10:12:50 AM
There does exist one move that has an always crit feature, but it's only learned by Ice-types, so the move's usefulness is questionable. And, because the move always scores a critical hit, it ignores defense modifiers. Set damage moves, like Seismic Toss and Night Shade, also ignore any defense boosts and inflicts damage based on the Pokemon's level. Priority Haze would be nice. I only think they would do that if a Pokemon with Prankster got it. I think it would give Tornadus an interesting niche. As for that ability... I dunno. Sounds a little too strong.
---
3DS FC: 2578-3118-6645 PSN: PowahBoxers
Currently hooked on Ragnarok Odyssey.
#5BlackSabor(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 10:28:57 AM
InhaledCorn posted...
There does exist one move that has an always crit feature, but it's only learned by Ice-types, so the move's usefulness is questionable. And, because the move always scores a critical hit, it ignores defense modifiers. Set damage moves, like Seismic Toss and Night Shade, also ignore any defense boosts and inflicts damage based on the Pokemon's level. Priority Haze would be nice. I only think they would do that if a Pokemon with Prankster got it. I think it would give Tornadus an interesting niche. As for that ability... I dunno. Sounds a little too strong.

There's also one for fighting, but I think only Throh knows it, making it's use very meh.
#6BlackSabor(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 10:32:15 AM
ninjaraui posted...
Luck is a part of any game. Its not like the crit system is broken. If one stroke of bad luck is all that kept you from winning, then it could of gone either way to begin with.

I do like the Hazing things you mentioned though, it would make it so maybe I would see slightly less of the dragons when I go online.

That's the thing about competitive pokemon right now though. There's so many good pokemon it's hard to have a counter for everything, much less more then one. So if they get a crit on your only pokemon that could deal with it, and kill it before you even had a chance to kill it, then it's all over.

That's what I hate most about it. It's a flaw in the competitive scene itself, but getting rid of random crits would help a lot. There's been plenty of games I've played where I played 100% better then the other player, have two pokemon up, only to miss my move and them to get a crit, and losing because of it. I can deal with just missing, but in that kind of situation I would have been able to take the non-crit move and just try again.

So basically there's a few issues, but I think getting rid of the random crits would help a LOT. And is a lot more solvable.
#7Octaivian_RexPosted 1/29/2013 1:09:02 PM
Just removing the base critical hit rate would be good. Moves like Night Slash and Stone Edge can keep the exact same critical hit rate but the 6.25% that applies to all moves would go away.
---
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4489/actuallyworks.gif