This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people hate 5th gen.

#41vchu8Posted 1/30/2013 10:29:06 AM
OhHeyltsYou posted...
Why do people hate Gen. 5? Because nostalgia.

Whether people wanna believe it or not. The Pokemon games get better with each installment. Gen. 5 is the best right now. Gen. 6 will be the best when that comes out.

Frankly, that's a terrible argument.

You're dismissing legitimate criticisms of the game if you just use the tired "nostalgia" blanket statement. For example, here are problems I had with Gen 5:

*The story didn't really do much for me. Yes, there's more story, but more story != better story. I couldn't really "get" the people that were saying Team Plasma made them think (irl people, even) because it was made so blatantly obvious that Team Plasma were wrong. I liked the idea behind them and N though, but I thought the execution was bad.

*The region wasn't fun to explore. Quite literally, you go on a linear path in your adventure. The series has always been linear to an extent, but this is the first time it became so pronounced. There are far more unnatural roadblocks than before (as in people versus environmental). This goes hand-in-hand with the story comment above, because Game Freak was forcing the story to the forefront. Rather than working the region and story together, they simply built up the region around the story, which caused the linearity issue in the first place.

*The game represents the biggest stylistic and thematic shifts in the series since Gen 3. This isn't an entirely negative thing, but it moves away from several of the aspects that made the games enjoyable for me in the first place in favor of propping up the story. I wasn't enamored by the push towards legends in Gen 3, and Gen 5 has the worst case of them all- you're forced to capture Reshiram or Zekrom. Rather than being a 'coming of age' story, it's become a hero's journey. If I wanted to be the legendary hero, I'd be playing Zelda, not Pokemon.

And for the record, I LOVED Gen 5's Pokemon designs. I love many of the features added for battling and breeding, and B/W2 has the best level curve in the series. I hope, at least, I offered some insight into why some people dislike Gen 5.
#42Xoxen101Posted 1/30/2013 10:40:39 AM
Gen 5 was a mixed bag for me. It had some cool new pokemon, the game became a little more story driven, and some of the characters I see in the new games are awesome, like Chren and Hugh. But some of the pokemon designs kinda gave me a scare. Not my favorite, that title goes to Gold/Silver/Crystal or Gen 2.
#43darkus_fPosted 1/30/2013 10:46:41 AM
Meech55 posted...
I loved Gen V.

---
3DS FC: 0447-5073-6549 PSN: darkus_f
PWB Fav5: Punk, Ziggler, Cesaro, Orton, Titus
#44poopfeasts420Posted 1/30/2013 10:56:52 AM
I don't really hate it but it's tied with 4th gen for being the least memorable in my opinion.
---
I AM DAVE EXCLAMATION MARK YOGNAUGHT
#45KHWyvernPosted 1/30/2013 11:02:44 AM
Gen V was great!
---
You come out here with your bright ass purple shirt, your green shirt, before that your orange shirt, You look like A BIG FAT BOWL OF FRUITY PEBBLES!- The Rock
#46IngSlayerPosted 1/30/2013 11:08:29 AM
Why do people hate this...

Why do people hate that...
---
Sedix: Baffling Artist
#47freutty2Posted 1/30/2013 12:22:05 PM
I loved the 5th gen. Now the 4th gen is just utterly terrible. D:
---
GE: Z:Tael 0193-8910-3838 Conduit 2 : 3138-6925-0692 Pokemon Black:3225-1688-5979
#48TyranidomegaPosted 1/30/2013 12:34:05 PM
vchu8 posted...
OhHeyltsYou posted...
Why do people hate Gen. 5? Because nostalgia.

Whether people wanna believe it or not. The Pokemon games get better with each installment. Gen. 5 is the best right now. Gen. 6 will be the best when that comes out.

Frankly, that's a terrible argument.

You're dismissing legitimate criticisms of the game if you just use the tired "nostalgia" blanket statement. For example, here are problems I had with Gen 5:

*The story didn't really do much for me. Yes, there's more story, but more story != better story. I couldn't really "get" the people that were saying Team Plasma made them think (irl people, even) because it was made so blatantly obvious that Team Plasma was only in it for world domination. I liked the idea behind them and N though, but I thought the execution was bad.

*The region wasn't fun to explore. Quite literally, you go on a linear path in your adventure. The series has always been linear to an extent, but this is the first time it became so pronounced. There are far more unnatural roadblocks than before (as in people versus environmental). This goes hand-in-hand with the story comment above, because Game Freak was forcing the story to the forefront. Rather than working the region and story together, they simply built up the region around the story, which caused the linearity issue in the first place.

*The game represents the biggest stylistic and thematic shifts in the series since Gen 3. This isn't an entirely negative thing, but it moves away from several of the aspects that made the games enjoyable for me in the first place in favor of propping up the story. I wasn't enamored by the push towards legends in Gen 3, and Gen 5 has the worst case of them all- you're forced to capture Reshiram or Zekrom. Rather than being a 'coming of age' story, it's become a hero's journey. If I wanted to be the legendary hero, I'd be playing Zelda, not Pokemon.

And for the record, I LOVED Gen 5's Pokemon designs. I love many of the features added for battling and breeding, and B/W2 has the best level curve in the series. I hope, at least, I offered some insight into why some people dislike Gen 5.

Fix'd that tidbit
---
Official hot fudge sundae of the IDF
Official Hydreigon of the Pokemon B/W 2 Boards.
#49UmitenchoPosted 1/30/2013 12:36:05 PM
Not much end game content. I mean after you beat the elite 4 there is much extra stuff. The areas unlocked with the bridge being open don't offer much beyond some battles and a legendary.
#50P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 1/30/2013 12:37:28 PM
Gen Five was great. In fact, it's probably one of the best gens along with Gen III
---
Official Lugia of the Pokemon BW2 Boards