This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Compared to Pokemon, why are Digimon sales crap?

#51TenzhiPosted 1/31/2013 11:16:01 PM
Shadow_StarWolf posted...
It's Tenzhi but I'll bite.

Burn the witch, eh?

Digimon names are generally taken from their Japanese names and are worded to sound more like computer data (hence mon). That's why Garurumon is named as such because howling + monster. If anything it's easier to remember.

I don't have trouble with the names being Japanese - note that the similarly confusing example I gave was purely American in nature. Phonetic similarities have a tendency to cause confusion - an established fact that can cause people to get the wrong prescription, be the reason behind a trademark dispute, and form the basis of a type of humour (which the Japanese deftly abuse upon occasion). I'm sure that if I'd ever been given a reason (for instance if the show had drawn me in, or if more of the monster designs had interested me) to get more involved with Digimon that the name issue would have ultimately resolved itself in my head (something implied in my aforementioned example).
---
Often, when you try too hard to act superior, the opposite occurs.
#52flamesaber111Posted 1/31/2013 11:36:00 PM
I wish they would bring more Digimon games over here. I wanna wreck stuff with Omnimon and Imperialdramon! Also, I've never played Digimon World 1. Should I get it?
---
Manga that everyone should read: Fairy Tail
#53TheRedLumaPosted 1/31/2013 11:41:36 PM
I know one thing that would make Digimon a bit more popular: a virtual pet (Digivice) that had every digimon available on it for you to raise. You start with a newborn and follow different guidelines to reach many different digivolutions.

Otherwise... *shrugs* The Digimon anime was wonderful, and the games aren't really that bad either. I don't know why it didn't go so well outside of Japan.

As far as I know, no new Digimon-related merch has been coming outside of Japan for a few years now. We're lucky we even got Xros Wars. I'm hoping it'll kind of bring Digimon as a whole back.
---
White 2: Nikki
FC: 3697-8095-3793
#54pokemega32Posted 2/1/2013 5:03:00 PM
Shadow_StarWolf posted...
Don't forget Digica Taisen which ran during the time of Xros Wars.

...I didn't.

1. Hyper Coliseum
2. Alpha Evolve + Battle Terminal
3. Super Digica Taisen
4. Digimon Jintrix

And now there are also two electronic card games, Collectors and Crusader.

TheRedLuma posted...
As far as I know, no new Digimon-related merch has been coming outside of Japan for a few years now. We're lucky we even got Xros Wars. I'm hoping it'll kind of bring Digimon as a whole back.

They actually just released the entirety of Digimon Adventure on DVD and will be releasing Zero Two soon as well.
---
When life gives you melons, you know you're dyslexic.
#55squdgyPosted 2/1/2013 5:09:21 PM
Because Pokemon is better.

/topic
---
http://i.imgur.com/5FB9XOJ.gif
#56Second_ChancesPosted 2/1/2013 5:22:49 PM
Pokemon is a global cultural phenomenon. Digimon's only really relevant in Asia, and somewhat overseas back when they had yearly series.
#57Tatakai-No-KamiPosted 2/1/2013 5:25:15 PM
season 1 and 2 of digimon were better than any season of the pokemon anime.

after that, not so much
#58pokemega32Posted 2/1/2013 8:08:35 PM
Second_Chances posted...
Pokemon is a global cultural phenomenon. Digimon's only really relevant in Asia, and somewhat overseas back when they had yearly series.

Digimon has actually generally sold pretty well whenever it's been over here. The only reason Data Squad failed was because Disney stuck it on a channel no one had.

Tatakai-No-Kami posted...
season 1 and 2 of digimon were better than any season of the pokemon anime.

after that, not so much

Season 2 was riddled with plot holes and nonsense in the second half.

The third was far better than it. And any one of them is infinitely better than a series that is 75% wandering in between actual plot points, all of which are repeated in each region.
---
When life gives you melons, you know you're dyslexic.