This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kotaku article ranking about best and worst Pokemon games

#11YungJayePosted 1/30/2013 7:05:18 PM
overmaxx posted...
They got THIS bad?

Kotaku has always been the crapstain of the gaming journalism industry (which by itself is already a huge crap stain), with their extremely opinionated "articles" that really hold no value to anyone and only serve as a angry fanboy magnet, but it's off the charts now, you don't get to see 3 Kotaku articles without 2 of them being "Why I think..." and "Why X is Y", it's all valueless crap that is as far away from journalism as humanly possible.
It isn't news, it does no job for anyone.

You would literally find more value in GameFAQs posts.
And don't even get me started on how censored and manipulated their comment sections are, I suspect they got actual Nazis in a time capsule to moderate it.

You deserve a medal =O
---
Official Moltres of the Pokemon X/Y Message Boards
#12Catcher_FreemanPosted 1/30/2013 7:09:31 PM
I know Kotaku was a joke, but this takes the cake.
---
The mac daddy of the Pokemon Black 2 board.
#13RoobitysuPosted 1/30/2013 7:12:47 PM(edited)
I'm gonna predict that the reason for Gen V being at the bottom is "hurrdurr ice cream and trashbag", and then I'm going to click the link.

Huh, they didn't even mention it. I agree that Gen V really didn't add much in terms of mechanics, but I always hate the "too many Pokemon" argument. Drives me nuts. Why is more variety a bad thing? If it's about completing the PokeDex, then oh well, that's never important.

I did read the Gen IV part, though.

as a standalone game it doesn't change the formula in place since Generation II, and it doesn't add much more than what was already added in Generation III.
Lol. The Physical/Special split was probably the biggest change to the game since Gen II. Not sure what they're smoking

Oh man, I thought that was gold, but I looked at Gen III and, hoooo boy, I can smell it through my monitor.

Generation III deserves a higher place on this list, but the new focus on the IV and EV value systems, in my opinion, really made the games a little too serious—dropping them down the list to number three
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1L1lj3XuK8

You can still play Pokemon casually. Ingame is the same as it was. EVs/IVs only matter if you play competitively. Jeez...

Also, Pokémon contests weren't exactly my cuppa

Optional shtuff. Quit whining.

The biggest and only issue I had with Generation III is the fact that the Pokémon designs seemed to get weaker
Oh boy, surely these guys know how to design Pokemon. Let's see their complaints...

I mean just look at Torchic and its evolution Blaziken
Torchic is uguu, Blaziken is badass.

(also look at Feebas)
Oh no! A Pokemon that is supposed to look ugly looks ugly! Stop the presses, this is some serious **** here!

Now on to Gen I

Even without the addition of running, and the weird implementation of "dual types", there is always something to love about starting out in Pallet Town, taking down Team Rocket and then beating the snot out of Blue (or Gary).
This genuinely confused me. Do these guys think dual-typed Pokemon didn't exist in Gen I...?

Not even gonna bother with Gen II. I've seen enough

All in all, I'd say lolkotaku, but even for Kotaku, I hope someone loses their job over this.
---
I draw nekkid chicks! O:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/82442627/Homika/ffed061fa8fee5918da9a82783976d37.jpg Roxie <3
#14MaurithPosted 1/30/2013 7:16:10 PM(edited)
I finished a playthrough of Red version today, which I started last week. Fun level was average at best. By the time I had about 6 badges it felt like an effort to will myself onwards with Pokémon's atrocious movepools, and only about 5 TMs worth using. At the time it was great, but it's aged horribly, and I think people who can't look at RBY in a present day context with reasonable comparison to later generations look a bit silly. It's like comparing Pong to.....I don't know. Virtua Tennis? Sure, Pong started it all, but one of them is a hell of a lot more fun to play right now, and it doesn't begin with P.

[Edit]: Oh, I'll agree with him at least on Blaziken. That thing needs a face-li...no, a body-lift. ;)
---
Official Sawsbuck of the Pokemon XY boards
Wheel of Time Progress: EotW, TGH, TDR, TSR, [FoH: 2%]
#15javel34Posted 1/30/2013 7:17:43 PM
I honestly don't know how people can go backwards in Pokemon games and still declare the first/second gen the best. Gen 4 and 5 have pretty much ruined the chance of me going back to play red and gold ever again.
---
Black2 FC: 0519 5089 8733
#16ryudin89Posted 1/30/2013 7:19:22 PM
javel34 posted...
I honestly don't know how people can go backwards in Pokemon games and still declare the first/second gen the best. Gen 4 and 5 have pretty much ruined the chance of me going back to play red and gold ever again.

The battle speed of gen 5 has already made it pretty hard for me to play Platinum again.
---
GameFAQS=why games should be played and people should be avoided.-selfdeztruction
http://fav.me/d3e91yr
#17RoobitysuPosted 1/30/2013 7:24:32 PM
Actually, I'm gonna check out Gen II. Since it just got worse and worse going up, this has to be good.

The formal introduction of dual-types (Charizard can now fly! (I know he could in Yellow, but he couldn't in Green/Red/Blue)

Welp, this confirmed my suspicion about my gripe about the Gen I exerpt I quoted. Author confirmed for negative IQ.

But new elements aside, Generation II had (imo) the longest main game section with the addition of the original Gyms.

a) ITT: Length is a subjective thing

b) The Gym Leaders were postgame and Kanto was empty.

Plus the cell phone system allowed trainers to be battled again, resulting in more replay value.

As opposed to the Vs. Seeker of Gens IV and V which allowed you to rebattle more consistently? Lol

On a personal note, 251 Pokémon was just the right amount!

:|
---
I draw nekkid chicks! O:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/82442627/Homika/26526702_big_p1.png Roxie <3
#18Solar_CrimsonPosted 1/30/2013 7:27:52 PM
Kotaku
Nothing will take away just how special the first generation of Pokémon was, but Generation II was where Pokémon really started to open up. The formal introduction of dual-types...

Okay, I'm not reading any more.

LMAO
---
http://backloggery.com/SolarCrimson - My Backloggery
The official Okuninushi of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#19zerokidPosted 1/30/2013 7:30:27 PM
My favourite bit (the bolding is mine):

The only thing I liked about Generation V that wasn't found in the previous games was the fact that Technical Machines became very similar to HMs, in that they have infinite uses. This addition was, in my opinion, a double edged sword, making the game easier while taking away from the challenge.

Er...What?

Writer clearly doesn't know what a double-edged sword is.

Also, infinite TMs was like the best addition EVARR.
---
Official [nobody cares] of the [your favourite game here] board.
#20Alom_o_molaPosted 1/30/2013 7:33:50 PM
loltaku has done it once again

sigh, who in the world takes this seriously?
---
UMvC3 Team ~ Nova[Centurion Rush]/Rocket Raccoon[Spitfire]/Amaterasu[Cold Star] ~ PSN: Xr0s-up
Official Galactus of UMVC3