This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What if Pokemon had double abilties?

#1Octaivian_RexPosted 2/1/2013 4:56:41 PM
Now hold on, I know what you're thinking. Yes Moxie + Intimidate Salamence would be pretty overpowered but that's not what I'm talking about here. Introducing double abilities would not simply give each Pokemon a choice of two of its three or so abilities but instead each Pokemon would have their abilities re-shuffled and then have some new abilities thrown in to prevent seeing the same good abilities over and over again. Furthermore each Pokemon would have one set ability that each species of that type of Pokemon would always have and then one variable ability which changes depending on the specific Pokemon. Here are some examples.

Blastoise

Set Ability:
Torrent
When HP is below 1/3rd, Water’s power increases to 1.5 times.

Variable Ability:
Rain Dish
If Heavy Rain weather is in effect, recovers 1/16th max Hit Points at the end of the turn.

Armor Piercing
This Pokemon's water type attacks deal 2.0x damage against steel type Pokemon.

Recoilless
This Pokemon does not need to rest after powerful attacks. (Hyper Beam, Hydro Cannon)

Muk

Set Ability:
Poison Touch
When the Pokémon attacks its opponents with a move that causes Physical Contact, there is a 20% chance that the target is Poisoned.

Variable Ability:
Stench
If the Pokémon make physical contact with the opponent, there is a chance the opponent flinches

Chemical Combustion
If this Pokemon makes physical contact with a poisoned opponent the move deals 1.5x normal damage and the opponent becomes
burned instead of poisoned.

Corrosive
Steel type Pokemon that make physical contact with this Pokemon have their defense lowered by one stage.

Escavalier

Set Ability:
Shell Armor
Opponent’s moves cannot Critical Hit.

Variable Ability:
Guarded Entrance
This Pokemon takes half damage from physical attacks on the turn it switches in.

Barrier Breaker
This Pokemon's attack destroy Reflect and Light Screen and ignore Protect.

Lunge
This Pokemon's speed is doubled on the turn it switches in. The effect fades after the end of the second turn.

Garchomp

Set Ability:
Rough Skin
The opponent is hurt by 1/16th of its maxium Hit Points of recoil when using an attack, that requires physical contact, against this Pokémon.

Variable Ability:
Point Blank
This Pokemon's non contact moves have their power cut by 33% while contact moves have their power raised by 20%.

Frozen Fear
This Pokemon is always frozen when hit with an ice type attack. Substitute does not prevent the activation of this ability.

You can use the abilities to buff or nerf Pokemon while still keeping each unique. At the very least I'd like it think it's a better option over triple type Pokemon or double type moves.

Thoughts, ideas, opinions, insults?
---
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4489/actuallyworks.gif
#2gladwyn101Posted 2/1/2013 5:00:46 PM
I would like multiple abilities on a Pokemon, but I'd remove abilities that are purely negative in effect.
---
Bazinga! *dives into ballpit*
Pokemon Black Friend Code: 0605-2800-9952; Trainer Name: Solace; First Pokemon (roleplaying): Shiny Umbreon
#3Octaivian_Rex(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 5:04:21 PM
I would like multiple abilities on a Pokemon, but I'd remove abilities that are purely negative in effect.

Some Pokemon are in need of them. They don't need to be as debilitating as Slow Start or Truant but in the case of Garchomp, we take a Pokemon with excellent stats and typing and bring it down a notch so that its weaknesses are more easily exploited so it cannot simply ROFL-stomp a good majority of other Pokemon.
---
#4MesmerilPosted 2/1/2013 5:07:05 PM
Archeops should change it's ability.
#5Octaivian_Rex(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 5:20:56 PM(edited)
Archeops should change it's ability.

Archeops

Set Ability:
Pressure
When this Pokémon is hit by a move, the opponent’s PP lowers by 2 rather than 1.

Variable Ability:
Defeatist
The Pokémon's Attack & Special Attack is halved when its Hit Points are below 50% of maximum

Low Stamina
This Pokemon's speed is sharply lowered at the end of the second turn it's switched in.
---
#6CakeOfLiesPosted 2/1/2013 5:44:46 PM
I think double abilities would break too many Pokemon.
And it would probably make Nintendo have to pull another Gen 3 on us (inability to transfer).
---
https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/8/11/wXLYp87DiE2C6xnGXLS7BA2.jpg
#7CharizardFirePosted 2/1/2013 5:50:21 PM
The second ability should be tutorable (so that you have greater control over it).

Also, I think the first ability should be the abilities that are traditionally available for the Pokémon.
---
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303/CharizardFire6/Char-Brawl.gif
#8JacK_1S_BKPosted 2/1/2013 6:01:21 PM
CharizardFire posted...
Also, I think the first ability should be the abilities that are traditionally available for the Pokémon.

Wasn't that already implied by the examples?
---
BACK
Jack has done nothing but...acts all innocent and... he honestly thought he was being helpful...~~HylianWarrior
#9CharizardFirePosted 2/1/2013 6:05:38 PM(edited)
CharizardFire posted...

What I mean is something like this example:

Blastoise

Innate Ability:
Torrent

Rain Dish
If Heavy Rain weather is in effect, recovers 1/16th max Hit Points at the end of the turn.

Tutored Ability:
Armor Piercing

Recoilless
This Pokemon does not need to rest after powerful attacks. (Hyper Beam, Hydro Cannon)

The Pokémon would have one of its innate abilities, and a tutored ability can be taught by an ability tutor.
---
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303/CharizardFire6/Char-Brawl.gif
#10Octaivian_Rex(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 6:38:56 PM
I think double abilities would break too many Pokemon.

Single abilities have the same potential.

CharizardFire posted...

What I mean is something like this example:

Blastoise

Innate Ability:
Torrent

Rain Dish

Tutored Ability:
Armor Piercing

Recoilless

The Pokémon would have one of its innate abilities, and a tutored ability can be taught by an ability tutor.

I think I might like this better than my original idea. It's certainly more realistic that it would be implemented this way.
---