This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I started a playthrough of Black today (Thoughts)

#1iKhanicPosted 2/2/2013 9:34:51 PM
Its the first pokemon game I've played since Crystal back in the day (excluding spinoffs like Stadium). I figured that if I want to play this gen, I need to learn the mechanics introduced since gen 2.

The reason I chose Black is two-fold.
1. I was aware that it featured a pokedex that didn't have any old pokemon on it. I wanted to see if I could get lost in that childhood wonder I had with Yellow. (why I chose it over RSE, DPP, or BW2)
2. I love the Fire-type and hate the Water-type. Any game that will give me a Fire-pokemon NOT weak to water is one I'd prefer. (Why i chose it over black over white)

Here are my thoughts so far (just beat the first gym).

1. I really like how they make you seem like more of a normal kid in this game. With your own friends traveling the world with you.
2. I also think this game does a great job of getting you accustomed to the mechanics, while not dragging on for veterans.
3. These newer games have a lot of nice bells and whistles just coming from the newer technology from the GBC days.
4. This music is awful. Since the start of the game, the only song I've liked the the Team Plasma Battle Theme. The other songs I've not only been neutral to, but I've actually downright disliked them.
5. He's only said a few words, but N seems like a really interesting character.
6. This is the first game that I didn't choose a fire starter for. I should also add, that when RSE came out, I knew that if I had them, I'd have picked Torchic as my starter. I just hate Tepig, and love Oshawott so much, i just had to go with the otter.
7. I'm yet to be impressed by the designs. I've seen a bunch of them around Bulbapedia (in sort of curiosity and what not, also thats why I picked Oshawott as my starter), but I know there are pokemon that I've missed.
8. I don't like how they just go ahead and give you a pokemon to go up against the first gym. IMO, part of the challenge is going out and catching something that can deal with the gym leader if you don't have a type advantage.
9. Abilities don't seem to be coming into play quite yet.
10. I love how starter pokemon are getting elemental moves at much earlier levels.

Right now, my team consists of:
Oshawott,
Pansear
Lillipup
Patrat (this is going in the box ASAP)
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#2WilhuffTarkinPosted 2/2/2013 9:44:55 PM
You hate the water type, but you chose Oshawott. Wat.
---
Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances.
#3Solidshooter24Posted 2/2/2013 9:50:07 PM
WilhuffTarkin posted...
You hate the water type, but you chose Oshawott. Wat.

---
PSN: Solidshooter24
Now playing: Mortal Kombat (Vita) and MW3 (PS3)
#4LightningAce11Posted 2/2/2013 10:29:29 PM
Ditch pansear and get darumaka in the desert. Grab a sandile, and a scraggy too. They will wreck the whole game.
---
Official Zapdos of the Pokemon X/Y Boards
Married to Rosa
#5LexifoxPosted 2/2/2013 10:31:37 PM
8. I don't like how they just go ahead and give you a pokemon to go up against the first gym. IMO, part of the challenge is going out and catching something that can deal with the gym leader if you don't have a type advantage.

It's to help you understand the importance of type matchups, really. If you try using your starter, you'll likely fail. Use your monkey and the battle is much easier.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#6iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 1:38:33 PM
Lexifox posted...

It's to help you understand the importance of type matchups, really. If you try using your starter, you'll likely fail. Use your monkey and the battle is much easier.

No, what I mean is I didn't like how they just gave you the pokemon right there. Pokemon Yellow had a similar predicament, where your Pikachu that you got off the bat couldn't affect Brock's pokemon. You had to go find a mankey or butterfree to stand a chance.

In regards to the Oshawott. I generally dislike Water-types, but I do have exceptions, such as for Oshawott and Lanturn. I generally like Fire types by I also have exceptions such as for Tepig and Magmar.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#7MagikarpRulesPosted 2/3/2013 1:53:39 PM
Oh, abilities do influence the battles. Try hiitng something named Tynamo with Ground attacks and you'll se what i'm talking about. Or, as soon as you reach Wellspring Cave, try KO'ing Roggenrolla in one hit.
#8NomytakerPosted 2/3/2013 1:57:16 PM
I understand what you mean about getting a pan monkey right before that first gym. However, that place a lot of people can miss out before trying the leader.
---
Sic vis pacem, para bellum
#9DaemonscharmPosted 2/3/2013 2:02:22 PM
Ditch pansear and get darumaka in the desert. Grab a sandile, and a scraggy too. They will wreck the whole game.

---
Mavs Fan: Official GBASB Vice President/Romancer
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo273/Photo_Phreak/alkalinesig2.png
#10DaemonscharmPosted 2/3/2013 2:05:11 PM
Ditch Lillipup.

Get a Tynamo. Elektross is essentially one of the best electric Pokes of all time
---
Mavs Fan: Official GBASB Vice President/Romancer
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo273/Photo_Phreak/alkalinesig2.png