This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So do people love starters because they are simply starters?

#1DaemonscharmPosted 2/3/2013 7:05:18 AM
I don't think there's ever been a Gen where the starter was the best of it's type. I've used starters before but why continue to use them when there are better Pokes in the game?

Swampert is the only one I enjoy using because it's water/ground much like Quagsire but with better stats. Unfortunately Quagsire has a better movepool

I can see people being more sentimental simply because when starting a new game it was the first Pokemon they used, but I usually switch them out as soon as I can get a better type.

In Gen 1 Blastoise was the only really useful one but Starmie, Lapras and Vaporeon are way better water types.

In gen 2 I switch out my Totodyle once I get a Wooper, or my Chikorita once I find a Bellsprout

In Gen 3 I'll keep Mudkip or Treecko around but give me a Lanturn and Sandslash any day

I skipped gen 4

In Gen 5 I Servine can be one of the better grass types but Samurott is easily outclassed by (surprise) Starmie

I usually toss it up. Give me a Throh, Sandile, Sgraggy, Duskull or egg Abra to start with.
---
Mavs Fan: Official GBASB Vice President/Romancer
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo273/Photo_Phreak/alkalinesig2.png
#2fuzi11Posted 2/3/2013 7:09:50 AM
you don't have a heart
#3Jrx1Posted 2/3/2013 7:10:16 AM
DaemonscharmII posted...
I skipped gen 4

fuzi11 posted...
you don't have a heart

---
Official Cyrus of Pokemon Black Version 2 GameFAQs Boards
Claimed Palkia on the Pokemon Black Version 2 GameFAQs Boards
#4CakeOfLiesPosted 2/3/2013 7:11:44 AM
There were available Fire Types better than the Fire starters?
Cuz last I checked, Charizard and Typhlosion are matched by Arcanine, but not beaten.
And nothing that I'm aware of beats Blaziken or Infernape in their games as Fire Types (Infernape was the ONLY Gen IV Fire Type -_-)

But in Gen V, everything beats the Starters. I chose Oshawott so that Genesect would beat my Rival easier. :P
---
https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/8/11/wXLYp87DiE2C6xnGXLS7BA2.jpg
#5ToraKytePosted 2/3/2013 7:14:23 AM
For the most part, I find the starters to be some of the best designed Pokemon of each generation, which is something I put above power and move sets. Not to mention I like the idea of adventuring with the team I build as friends (much like a traditional JRPG).
#6Fate_AssassinPosted 2/3/2013 7:18:50 AM
CakeOfLies posted...
Cuz last I checked, Charizard and Typhlosion are matched by Arcanine, but not beaten.
And nothing that I'm aware of beats Blaziken or Infernape in their games as Fire Types (Infernape was the ONLY Gen IV Fire Type -_-)

But in Gen V, everything beats the Starters. I chose Oshawott so that Genesect would beat my Rival easier. :P

Ponyta was avaible too.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/62287165 - restored faith in humanity.
3/13/2013, shipment date
#7PolimarioPosted 2/3/2013 7:22:05 AM
CakeOfLies posted...

Heatran.
---
http://i.imgur.com/VXDSChH.png
Obey the Queen
#8Traptin3daysPosted 2/3/2013 7:31:50 AM
ToraKyte posted...
For the most part, I find the starters to be some of the best designed Pokemon of each generation, which is something I put above power and move sets. Not to mention I like the idea of adventuring with the team I build as friends (much like a traditional JRPG).

This. This is exactly how I do it o:
---
Now let's sacrifice some chickens! :D
#9NameNotKnownPosted 2/3/2013 7:41:26 AM(edited)
Gen 4 has the best water starter, nay, the best water type, out of all of the Pokemon.
---
NameNotKnown
#10King-gamerPosted 2/3/2013 7:41:47 AM
Just about every starter is/was horrible. Gen 1 starters were actually decent. It's later games that destroys a lot of them. By the time gen 3 came out, their fates were sealed. Venusaur just got the better side of that fate.

Ironically, the starter that nobody cared in gen 1 (Everybody was all CHARIZARD!! BLASTOISE!! Bulbasaur sucks!!) is now better than those two, but only because of the new game mechanics of later games which put emphasis on weather, and speed (chlorophyll).

Also, Infenape is the only starter that was good right off the bat. Without their dream world abilities, most starters would fail.
---
This is a sig. Yup.