This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So do people love starters because they are simply starters?

#111NorkenPosted 2/7/2013 2:26:08 AM
GiftedACIII posted...
Norken posted...
Grammar_man posted...
FFnut posted...

After you realize that the three of them had/have unique typings (and are therefore the "best" of each of their respective typings by default ANYWAY) then take a look at these:

Can you honestly say that Venusaur was a worse Grass/Poison than Vileplume and Victreebel in RBY?

RBY Victreebel and Vileplume vs RBY Venusaur for In-game?

Yup. Venu was the worst of the litter.

Why? Because Sleep Powder before their first evo, while Venusaur doesn't get it until L55(Unless you hold back on evolving).

FR/LG Bulba Line gets Sleep Powder at Level 15, making it actually better than the other two.

Uh no. By the time you acquire those INGAME Venusaur will already be so close to level 55 it doesn't even matter. Heck after mount moon my Ivysaur was already approaching 30. It would be stupid to put in a box for a low leveled oddish. Not to mention you still need a leafstone in order to evolve both of them. By the time rock tunnel ends my Venusaur is already approaching 40. In fact it would be level 40 if I wasn't training Gyarados. By the time I get to the mall in order to buy a stupid Leaf stone Venusaur already has Sleep Powder.

Only those who are not expert gamers would make such a stupid argument.

Lmfao expert gamers in Pokemon. Those are only the competitive players who can do more than crush the dumb AI. And by the looks of it you seem to be just overgrinding your starter which is what children do, and it makes an already easy game cake. It actually takes more skill to play the game with underleveled Pokemon than playing it with overleveled everything.

Grinding? Have you even played R/B?
You don't need to grind to be approaching 30. When starting R/B I only use two pokemon until I get to magikarp. Then I dump 2nd pokemon(spearow) for magikarp.
Why one might ask? Because the other pokemon are USELESS! Nidoran has some uses but I prefer Dugtrio which can not be caught until you reach the cave with the diglets. I don't train abra because i end up trading it for a Mr. Mime for pokedex reasons therefore the only pokemon I have when I get to vermillion city are Ivysaur/Gyarados.

NICE TRY NOOB!

My pokemon team for R/B Venusaur, Gyarados, Dugtrio, Mew, Zapdos, and Mewtwo

Now do you see what i mean? Or are you just DULL BRO?
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
Romans 14:8
#112Grammar_manPosted 2/7/2013 3:18:25 AM
Norken posted...

Grinding? Have you even played R/B?
You don't need to grind to be approaching 30.

Yes you do. There's not enough encounters to reach that level without grinding.

Norken posted...

When starting R/B I only use two pokemon until I get to magikarp.
Then I dump 2nd pokemon(spearow) for magikarp.

Which.... is stupid, because Gyarados is all about being useless without massive grinding just to bring him up to par. 15 levels of uselessness as Magikarp is worse than any suckage Spearow ever does.

There is a reason why Squirtle was the best starter in Gen I. It was a water type with great moves and no level problems(unlike any other Water type that was decent). The second best is probably Vaporeon evolved immediately from Eevee. Not that you ever need to add another water type if you have a decent surfer(Nidoking)

Norken posted...

Why one might ask? Because the other pokemon are USELESS! Nidoran has some uses but I prefer Dugtrio which can not be caught until you reach the cave with the diglets. I don't train abra because i end up trading it for a Mr. Mime for pokedex reasons therefore the only pokemon I have when I get to vermillion city are Ivysaur/Gyarados.

Nidoking absolutely demolishes Dugtrio in-game in RBY(due to insanely great movepool allowing him to steamroll the entire game once you start getting decent TMs), and is available as early as level 16. It suffers from being mediocre until evolution to Nidorino/Nidorina, though. Dugtrio is no slouch, though, and can thankfully be found overlevelled.

Norken posted...

My pokemon team for R/B Venusaur, Gyarados, Dugtrio, Mew, Zapdos, and Mewtwo

Mewtwo is post-game, rendering him useless from an in-game perspective. Mew? Using the glitch, or anything else? Zapdos is a great choice, though, because he can be gotten while he is still quite above your team in level.

Norken posted...

NICE TRY NOOB!

Now do you see what i mean? Or are you just DULL BRO?

I see that you are an amazingly inefficient player who grinds like crazy. :P
#113snake1989Posted 2/7/2013 3:20:55 AM
Personally speaking, I like starters because you've got a guaranteed couple of evolutions and they're pretty unique compared to NPC pokemon. I tend to play pokemon games blind, and it always sucks catching a cool wild pokemon and hoping for an even more awesome evolution only to find out it doesn't evolve at all. Starters at least guarantee 3 stages, even if the final evolutions don't always satisfy.
---
"A man chooses. A slave obeys."-Andrew Ryan
#114SupahJemPosted 2/7/2013 4:07:08 AM
99% of Pokemon players dont play competitively

Therefore they use the Pokemon they like

If you're competitive then using starters is a terrible idea. Except in the past Blaziken used to be viable in competitive Pokemon.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: SupahJem
#115LightningAce11Posted 2/7/2013 4:13:50 AM
A simple question can turn into a full blown argument. There is no peace on gamefaqs, is there?
---
Omg leik cod is the best game evar yu shud all play it as it is the only gam wurth playin!!
#116NorkenPosted 2/7/2013 10:57:27 AM
Troll Please. There are more than enough encounters. Did you not read? I only use two pokemon.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
Romans 14:8
#117Daemonscharm(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 11:29:18 AM
I'm starting a new game on White next week. Gonna start with Sandile.
---
Mavs Fan: Official GBASB Vice President/Romancer
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo273/Photo_Phreak/alkalinesig2.png
#118Rose_MagePosted 2/7/2013 11:48:30 AM
Starters are awesome.
---
R ~ Team Rocket Executive, Sol Enchantress, Official Beth of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board, Official DEOXYS fan of the Pokemon board
http://fav.me/d5g7w6l
#119ThatPersonGuyPosted 2/7/2013 11:53:24 AM
GiftedACIII posted...
MagikarpRules posted...
GiftedACIII posted...
MagikarpRules posted...
Stalk you? Pfff, whatever makes you happy champ. It's only that you don't seem to miss an opportunity to belittle anyone who is not a competitive player, and I'm sick of it. I'm pretty sure you aren't as good as you think anyway.

Whatever you say troll.

The guy who likes to tell everyone who likes a Pokemon because of its design that they are noobs and keeps telling everyone that only competitive play matters calls me a troll. Is that the better you can do? Pretty sad.

Lol the only sad thing here are the noobs so bad at gaming they can only play a children's game and yet still go on hardcore forums because they don't have any actual friends in real life to talk with.

I'm sorry.

I can't take anyone who calls Gamefaqs a "hardcore forum" seriously.
---
Saki, Isaac, Lip, Lyn, and Little Mac for SSB4!
Cailou. "Cuteness never looked this badass" - Chuggaconroy.
#120GiftedACIIIPosted 2/7/2013 12:37:58 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]