This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it wrong that Jynx is one of my favorite pokemon?

#11StupidMofoz(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 11:07:16 AM
Groudon_Uzamaki posted...
Yes. Sorry but it is true.

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/0/0e/238Smoochum.png

Even smoochum has more sassiness than you.
#12MagikarpRulesPosted 2/3/2013 11:10:08 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with liking any Pokemon.
#13shrooboid313Posted 2/3/2013 11:19:42 AM
No, everyone has their own personal tastes in what they like in Pokemon and what they don't like. :)
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Shrooboid313?feature=mhee
Please check out my YouTube channel.
#14GubbeyPosted 2/3/2013 11:30:13 AM
Jynx is one of my favorites too...
---
"I desire to go to Hell and not to Heaven. In the former I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings and princes..." - Niccolo Machiavelli
#15LenneValkiryePosted 2/3/2013 11:33:40 AM
I don't like when people say Jynx is based on a racism stereotype, because that's both a false and an ignorant statement.

Jynx is based on ganguro girls, a purely Japanese fashion style, so by extension it's the exact opposite of racist.
#16ArethaiPosted 2/3/2013 11:39:28 AM
Jynx is awesome. She's disturbing to look at, has a unique type, is fast and has great special attack.
Nothing wrong here.
#17TheNargacugaPosted 2/3/2013 11:40:12 AM
LenneValkirye posted...
I don't like when people say Jynx is based on a racism stereotype, because that's both a false and an ignorant statement.

Jynx is based on ganguro girls, a purely Japanese fashion style, so by extension it's the exact opposite of racist.

Think of an all black smoochum.
---
Help me ban the most loved user on gamefaqs!
http://gamefaqs.com/users/Dark_Zoroark/boards
#18Toadster9001Posted 2/3/2013 11:42:44 AM
Nope, Jynx is my favorite Pokemon. Let's be friends. <3
---
Brothers Obscura
#19A_DoorknobPosted 2/3/2013 11:55:09 AM
Why would there be anything wrong with that?

Oh, and it actually seems to be a hybrid of yama-uba and yuki-onna, two woman-like creatures from Japanese mythology. (For reference, Froslass is also based on a yuki-onna.) As others have said, the idea of Jynx being intended as a racial stereotype is laughably absurd, because almost all of its powers and features would be a complete non-sequitur. In contrast, between yama-uba and yuki-onna, we have the following characteristics that Jynx shares.

-Long golden hair that can be animated (see Jynx's Stadium animations)
-Skin dark from frostbite (purple/black skin)
-The ability to siphon life energy with a kiss (Lovely Kiss and Sweet Kiss)
-A long flowing gown
-Lack of feet (notice that Jynx has no footprint)
-Command over ice and snow
-A proclivity for mountains and cold places

Also, Jynx is like a counterpart to Electabuzz and Magmar, both of which are based on other creatures from Japanese mythology (oni and karura, respectively), so the mythological basis seems more likely. In fact, in the Japanese first generation games, wild Electabuzz were found only in Red, wild Magmar only in Green, and wild Jynx only in Blue, with none of them appearing in Yellow.

Oh, and for what it's worth, Smoochum was ALWAYS purple, even before Jynx's skin color was changed, so the change to purple wasn't totally out of left field.
#20wind64aPosted 2/3/2013 11:58:27 AM
A_Doorknob posted...
Why would there be anything wrong with that?

Oh, and it actually seems to be a hybrid of yama-uba and yuki-onna, two woman-like creatures from Japanese mythology. (For reference, Froslass is also based on a yuki-onna.) As others have said, the idea of Jynx being intended as a racial stereotype is laughably absurd, because almost all of its powers and features would be a complete non-sequitur. In contrast, between yama-uba and yuki-onna, we have the following characteristics that Jynx shares.

-Long golden hair that can be animated (see Jynx's Stadium animations)
-Skin dark from frostbite (purple/black skin)
-The ability to siphon life energy with a kiss (Lovely Kiss and Sweet Kiss)
-A long flowing gown
-Lack of feet (notice that Jynx has no footprint)
-Command over ice and snow
-A proclivity for mountains and cold places

Also, Jynx is like a counterpart to Electabuzz and Magmar, both of which are based on other creatures from Japanese mythology (oni and karura, respectively), so the mythological basis seems more likely. In fact, in the Japanese first generation games, wild Electabuzz were found only in Red, wild Magmar only in Green, and wild Jynx only in Blue, with none of them appearing in Yellow.

Oh, and for what it's worth, Smoochum was ALWAYS purple, even before Jynx's skin color was changed, so the change to purple wasn't totally out of left field.

Interesting, I didn't notice Jinx had no footprint.
---
Badge Case [Time Badge]
StrifeHart is my OTP. services performed at BSC: 2 Riley's Boyfriend on the Pokemon BW2 & X boards. W2 FC: 3783 7001 3142