This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What was wrong with Johto level scaling?

#1ArcvalonsPosted 2/5/2013 11:13:27 AM
There was nothing wrong IMO.
---
http://i.imgur.com/pVqey.png
Arcvalons really is a genius.-kamikazetomato. If I remain a virgin until I reach 30 I become a wizard. - gamerTai.
#2RX02BansheePosted 2/5/2013 11:22:50 AM
There was everything wrong with it. The levels of wild Pokemon were so utterly pathetic you couldn't grind EXP properly, which resulted in forcing the player to, at most, use three Pokemon they picked up early on. And if that team couldn't take the E4...well, I hope you like constantly challenging them and losing, because that was the only way to get reliable exp worth a crap before Kanto.
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon X board.
Currently Playing: Pokemon Black 2, Xenoblade Chronicles
#3Xenozoa425Posted 2/5/2013 11:25:39 AM
I think it was fine the way it was, except for wild Pokemon. Really underleveled and made grinding a chore.

Other than that it was fine, by the time I can get to the Elite 4 I usually have a team of 5 in the mid 40's.
---
"The meaning of life is to know what it means to live instead of to merely exist." -Cleverbot
http://i.imgur.com/zMVpb.gif
#4KIngdomSora50Posted 2/5/2013 11:27:10 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5KIngdomSora50Posted 2/5/2013 11:28:15 AM
RX02Banshee posted...
There was everything wrong with it. The levels of wild Pokemon were so utterly pathetic you couldn't grind EXP properly, which resulted in forcing the player to, at most, use three Pokemon they picked up early on. And if that team couldn't take the E4...well, I hope you like constantly challenging them and losing, because that was the only way to get reliable exp worth a crap before Kanto.

I just grinded Miltanks in route 47, didn't take that long.
#6CM_PonchPosted 2/5/2013 11:30:05 AM
*Beat Gym Leader with pokemon in the early 30's*
*Next route doesn't break 30*

*Clair shoots up to early 40's*
*Wild pokemon in their 20's*

*Beat E4*
*Kanto Gym Leaders start off weaker than Lance, only 8 level increase*

*Beat Blue*
*Red's 20 levels higher with no wild pokemon to fill the gap*
---
http://i.imgur.com/0Ccy1.png
#7DarthLaharlPosted 2/5/2013 11:31:04 AM
I hate 8 badges in GSC/HG/SS and I ran into a guy with 6 level 16 Geodudes south of Blackthorn City. I was offended by that and the over-all crap level scaling system and dpressingly dry and barrenness that was "Johto".

Screw Gen 2.
---
PSN: Unretributed
#8RX02BansheePosted 2/5/2013 11:37:20 AM
KIngdomSora50 posted...
RX02Banshee posted...

I just grinded Miltanks in route 47, didn't take that long.

Grinding requires something far more reliable than something with a s***y 20% encounter rate. And even then that doesn't change the fact it's still going to be well below the level of the Pokemon you will be facing.
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon X board.
Currently Playing: Pokemon Black 2, Xenoblade Chronicles
#9Skyward_SneaselPosted 2/5/2013 11:45:49 AM
I am always extremely under-levelled when playing SS, but you don't need to be at the same level as your opponent. Upon beating the E4 (on the first attempt, no resets) my highest level Pokemon was at least 5 levels below the lowest levelled E4 Pokemon, if not 10, and I had 6 perfectly decent Pokemon. I beat Red with level 50-60 Pokemon, using skill rather than brute force. People always complain that you can't grind, but IMO it makes it more fun as it is much harder to over-level and spoil the challenge.
---
Ash Ketchum is a Timelord; he never ages!! That or a vampire...
Official Umbreon of the Eevee Corps *Evil Laugh*
#10Arcvalons(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 11:48:20 AM
But in comparison, Yellow had gym leaders in midgame with Pokemon in lv. 50
---
http://i.imgur.com/pVqey.png
Arcvalons really is a genius.-kamikazetomato. If I remain a virgin until I reach 30 I become a wizard. - gamerTai.