This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Baby evolutions confuse me...

#11SpikeTbearPosted 2/6/2013 3:28:54 AM(edited)
I just hate the fact that there are soooo many non-legendary, non-evolving Pokemon. It seems like a waste of potential when a crappy, pathetic Pokemon has no evolutionary relatives (CORSOLA!!!). I was excited by Gen 4's scientist saying that 90% of Pokemon evolved, and those 10% were mostly legendaries. They helped with this fact by giving plenty of evos for weak or decent Pokemon to make them better.

But there were some Pokemon whose designs were so unique that Gamefreak didn't want to compromise their uniqueness by evolving them...or I guess because they figured they could never make them powerful while looking that ridiculous. So instead, they made babies for guys like Mr. Mime and Sudowoodo.

Hopefully, they don't introduce an absurd amount of non-evolving Pokemon, and they evolve or give pre-evos to most of the remaining ones in X/Y. Tyrogue took care of 3 otherwise separate Pokemon familes with one baby. Maybe they'll have a baby form this gen that links Tauros, Miltank and Buffoloant, and perhaps retcon the fact that Luvdisc doesn't evolve into Alomomola. Also, they should have a baby Kangaskan, and babies that link other counterparts like Volbeat and Illumise, Solrock and Lunatone, etc.
---
"The most important thing is to never stop questioning." -Albert Einstein.
Xbox Live: AlteraLateralus
#12DoctorJimmy133Posted 2/6/2013 4:14:37 AM
reaverz posted...
Ki_cat_ posted...
Perhaps but in Generation 2 only like 5 Pokemon got to be babies.

Yeah, the most of the Gen II babies were indeed oddballs, like Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, and Togepi. However, Magby, Elekid, and Smoochum were examples of baby Pokemon with a usable purpose; that is, evolving into Pokemon that are decently powerful and are unlikely to be made available early in the games that they appear in.

That is the real use for baby Pokemon. Black2/White2 demonstrated this very well, giving us access to the Azumarill, Lucario, Magmortar, and Electivire lines early in the game. I hope that if more baby Pokemon are made, they are given to fairly powerful Pokemon so that they can appear earlier in the game.

I can explain those. Pikachu, Clefairy and Jigglypuff are marketing powerhouses in Japan, so introducing evolutionary relatives to them helps for marketing purposes as well, though Igglybuff and Cleffa sure didn't seem to go anywhere.

Togepi is a baby because yellow dinosaurs and polka-dot dragonflies can coexist in the realm of snowflake gumdrops.

Your second paragraph explains the rest of the babies pretty well, except for Riolu. Why is it a baby?!
#13faruwayPosted 2/6/2013 4:49:00 AM
darkwall87 posted...
darkdragongirl posted...
Baby Koffing pls.

something hic-up themed

Hicking?

Maybe Snizzing? (Sneezing)
---
Official GilgaPrishe's Spicy Hot Taco Buddy of Dissidia 012 Duodecim Final Fantasy Board
WhiteFC: 2881 6954 3015, White2FC: 3740 8553 3571
#14reaverzPosted 2/6/2013 3:34:44 PM
DoctorJimmy133 posted...
Your second paragraph explains the rest of the babies pretty well, except for Riolu. Why is it a baby?!

Baby Pokemon are Pokemon that cannot breed until they evolve. Like Togepi before it, the reason one might not think Riolu is a baby Pokemon is because it was introduced at the same time as its evolution.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#15Dark_ZoroarkPosted 2/6/2013 3:38:48 PM
reaverz posted...
DoctorJimmy133 posted...

Baby Pokemon are Pokemon that cannot breed until they evolve. Like Togepi before it, the reason one might not think Riolu is a baby Pokemon is because it was introduced at the same time as its evolution.

Drudriggon needs a Baby pre-evo because hes too powerful to be found in main game.
---
Help me ban the most hated user on GameFAQS.
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/user.php?board=1947548
#16abcDSBTPosted 2/6/2013 7:02:36 PM
jneal57 posted...
darkdragongirl posted...
Baby Koffing pls.

something hic-up themed

NO.

Weezing needs a Poison/Dark evo called Asfixiate. Do NOT waste that potential on ANOTHER baby Pokemon!

(although Hikkup sounds like an adorable name >_>)
---
Oddworld, Graffiti Kingdom, Supah Nario Bros, and Simtunes FTW!
That light at the end of the tunnel might be a train.
#17squdgyPosted 2/6/2013 7:20:00 PM
abcDSBT posted...
jneal57 posted...
darkdragongirl posted...
Baby Koffing pls.

something hic-up themed

NO.

Weezing needs a Poison/Dark evo called Asfixiate. Do NOT waste that potential on ANOTHER baby Pokemon!

(although Hikkup sounds like an adorable name >_>)

Asphyx?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXhyzGc7_pc
---
http://i.imgur.com/5FB9XOJ.gif