This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are the mystery dungeon games worth getting into?

#1Nerwrax15Posted 2/7/2013 12:39:37 PM
Just heard about the 3DS and thinking about trying it out?
---
NaughtyGhost, my fav person on gamefaqs. Props+forever=http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv335/NaughtyGhostGuy/may.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/user/Nerwrax15
#2Jrx1Posted 2/7/2013 12:58:01 PM
Start with Explorers of Sky.

You can with the GBA title (Red Rescue Team) too, both are epic.

3DS one is good story-wise (Awesome cutscenes), but nowhere as good as these two.
---
Official Cyrus of Pokemon Black Version 2 GameFAQs Boards
Claimed Palkia on the Pokemon Black Version 2 GameFAQs Boards
#3PikaleyPosted 2/7/2013 1:07:38 PM
blue is ds too, might be easier to find/play then a gba cart
---
3ds fc - 4983-5114-5815, Name: Brad
#4EmpirorPosted 2/7/2013 1:28:35 PM
DS games are fantastic

I dunno about the 3ds one yet though. Don't have it yet and it doesn't have all the pokemon in it.
---
Pokemon Black fc-5243 1202 3802 Megaman Rj fc:2493 5945 5724 Yugioh 2010 4383 3896 9610
http://stevenjobs101.wordpress.com/<---visit my blog :u!
#5Zarren364Posted 2/7/2013 2:10:44 PM
I've heard the 3ds versions isn't as good as the Explorers games, but I haven't heard too much in the ways if bad news.

I'd start by finding a copy of Time, Darkness, or Sky, especially Sky.
---
GLAD GANG l SSS l No.XII l OPBW2C-Wargle I R - Zarren
I am the Anti-troll. Your poll needs a bacon option.
#6DarkKirby2500Posted 2/7/2013 2:38:10 PM(edited)
The Mystery Dungeon games are great for the story, they take the pretty much ignored lore and Pokedex entries in the Pokemon games and utilize it in the story. The game mechanics are hit and miss, and there are some truely unfair and broken mechanics in the game (used by the enemies) while they do improve in each game. In the earlier game/s you would run out of PP constantly and it would be a serious problem in large dungeons. They later remedied that issue partially by making PP restore items more common instead of super rare in later games. Also, you can't just pick whatever Pokemon you want unfortunately, there are some base rules you must follow, like having a Pokemon with a good "hit the whole screen" attack", as if you run into a monster house without one you are really screwed. Which brings me to my next point, traps, traps are invisible hazards that if you step on can screw you over, possibly making it so finishing the dungeon is no longer possible. That makes some aspects of the game pretty unfair and luck based. Another issue was when a Pokemon used Agility, they get an increased amount of turns, and it effected EVERY POKEMON IN THE ROOM. It's not as much of a deal to you, since you can only have 1-3 Pokemon, but when 1 enemy uses Agility and the 20 Pokemon surrounding you in the room have 3 turns to your 1, it's a problem.
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#7fox444fPosted 2/7/2013 2:25:43 PM
DarkKirby2500 posted...
The Mystery Dungeon games are great for the story, they take the pretty much ignored lore and Pokedex entries in the Pokemon games and utilize it in the story. The game mechanics are hit and miss, and there are some truely unfair and broken mechanics in the game (used by the enemies) while they do improve in each game. In the earlier game/s you would run out of PP constantly and it would be a serious problem in large dungeons. They later remedied that issue partially by making PP restore items more common instead of super rare in later games. Also, you can't just pick whatever Pokemon you want unfortunately, there are some base rules you must follow, like having a Pokemon with a good "hit the whole screen" attack", as if you run into a monster house without one you are really screwed. Which brings me to my next point, traps, traps are invisible hazards that if you stop on can screw up over, possibly making it so finishing the dungeon is no longer possible. That makes some aspects of the game pretty unfair and luck based. Another issue was when a Pokemon used Agility, they get an increased amount of turns, and it effected EVERY POKEMON IN THE ROOM. It's not as much of a deal to you, since you can only have 1-3 Pokemon, but when 1 enemy uses Agility and the 20 Pokemon surrounding you in the room have 3 turns to your 1, it's a problem.

i HATE it when i run into a monster house and my opponents first move is agility. it sucks when they outnumber my team by 15 or more. and they all get to attack twice.
---
Official Vulpix of the Pokemon X and Y boards.