This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does Burn decrease Attack?

#41SuikuPosted 2/8/2013 10:29:03 PM
May I quote (quote is right?) the episode when ash is against gary I think, and Pikachu gets burned by a magmortar iirc...

Pikachu was literally on fire you guys HE WAS ON FIRE
---
>> Poke-Lover <<
#42TehKrimboElfPosted 2/8/2013 10:29:04 PM
Meta289 posted...
TehKrimboElf posted...
Meta289 posted...
You're under the assumption that Burn means literal skin burns. The animation for Burn clearly shows the Pokemon being on fire, not suffering from a burn. Having something that is on fire make physical contact with you would be uncomfortable.

No it doesn't. It only shows the Pokemon being on fire when it is being hurt by the burn.

Which still indicates that the Pokemon is on fire, unless you're implying that the Pokemon is simply bursting into flame at the end of each turn.

Yes, I am implying the Pokemon bursts into flame at the end of each turn. It's quite obvious since it is clearly shown.
---
The official Surt of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
White 2 FC: 2581 1170 0989
#43Meta289(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 10:31:48 PM
wind64a posted...
There's usally a separate logic to those properties. Already being a being of fire (Fire types can't be burned), having a way of resisting flames (Flame retardent parts such as scales), or the use of unique flames. Also it is possible to briefly set your own palm on fire and not be burned. There's an odd trick involving rubbing alcohol and similar substances. If you actually know how it works, it can be a neat party trick.

I am aware that you can light your hand on fire using alcohol. This is assuming that fire users are not using alcohol. And considering that many non-Fire types can use Fire type moves, and many of said Pokemon are just regular, non-magical Normal types, then whole idea of using magical powers to use fire doesn't quite work.
---
http://meta289.deviantart.com/#/d4j1eby
Fact: Things are so much better when taken at face value.
#44wind64aPosted 2/8/2013 10:32:17 PM
Suiku posted...
May I quote (quote is right?) the episode when ash is against gary I think, and Pikachu gets burned by a magmortar iirc...

Pikachu was literally on fire you guys HE WAS ON FIRE

That was against Paul not Gary, and the residual effect did show Pikachu periodically burst into flames but it still seemed to be suffering during intevening intervals as well.
---
Badge Case [Time Badge]
StrifeHart is my OTP. services performed at BSC: 2 Riley's Boyfriend on the Pokemon BW2 & X boards. W2 FC: 3783 7001 3142
#45FierceDeity1026Posted 2/8/2013 10:34:33 PM(edited)
Meta289 posted...
Then they could easily just make the Pokemon flash red. But the animation for Burn has always shown the Pokemon being on fire, which clearly indicates that the Pokemon is on fire.

Try not to look at it too literally. You know how paralysis on a Pokemon is represented by a yellow tint and electricity? Well, moves like Stun Spore and Glare cause paralysis, but they don't use electricity. The electricity animation is just an easy, convenient way to show that the Pokemon is paralyzed. Kinda the same thing with burn.
#46wind64aPosted 2/8/2013 10:35:45 PM
Meta289 posted...
wind64a posted...
There's usally a separate logic to those properties. Already being a being of fire (Fire types can't be burned), having a way of resisting flames (Flame retardent parts such as scales), or the use of unique flames. Also it is possible to briefly set your own palm on fire and not be burned. There's an odd trick involving rubbing alcohol and similar substances. If you actually know how it works, it can be a neat party trick.

I am aware that you can light your hand on fire using alcohol. This is assuming that fire users are not using alcohol. And considering that many non-Fire types can use Fire type moves, and many of said Pokemon are just regular, non-magical Normal types, then whole idea of using magical powers to use fire doesn't quite work.

Have you seen the rediculous moves Normal types learn? Skitty can shoot a Blizzard out of its mouth. Linoon can shoot out a ball of shadowy energy, and electric bolts. The Normal types in Pokemon are far from ordinary creatures.
---
Badge Case [Time Badge]
StrifeHart is my OTP. services performed at BSC: 2 Riley's Boyfriend on the Pokemon BW2 & X boards. W2 FC: 3783 7001 3142
#47MagikarpRulesPosted 2/8/2013 10:36:35 PM
I'd like you to read my second post, TC. At least the first half of it.
#48Meta289(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 10:40:36 PM
MagikarpRules posted...

You act as if logic is black or white. Saying that you can only apply logic to everything, or not apply it at all is a pretty stupid thing to say. The fact that logic can already be applied to Pokemon shows that it is indeed possible to have a middle ground.
---
http://meta289.deviantart.com/#/d4j1eby
Fact: Things are so much better when taken at face value.
#49MagikarpRulesPosted 2/8/2013 10:53:45 PM
Meta289 posted...
MagikarpRules posted...

You act as if logic is black or white. Saying that you can only apply logic to everything, or not apply it at all is a pretty stupid thing to say. The fact that logic can already be applied to Pokemon shows that it is indeed possible to have a middle ground.

The fact that you choose where you want to apply logic seems to me like pretty arbitrary. And taking a simple animation to claim that the Pokemon is on fire the whole time is an even stupider thing to say that my statement.
#50VerdikaPosted 2/8/2013 11:42:41 PM
Anime shows that the burned Pokemon does indeed periodically burst into flames while simply suffering from a skin burn the rest of the time. All further arguments are moot. For the record though, if you we're to theoretically catch your hand on fire before punching, it would not make your punch stronger. Unless the fire spread to your foe, not likely with such brief intact that my it's own nature smothers the flames the moment they touch the opponent. The pain would be so crippling that you probably couldn't punch at all, especially because touching that hand would be excruciating.

All Pokemon who use moves like Fire Punch or any such moves must have some way of negating said burns on their hand. Either through telekinesis or flame retardant skin, or some other method. Hitmonchan only catches his glove on fire. All Pokemon who learn it via move tutor logically must be able to do so because they are taught a method of controlling the flames. Egg moves are due to a gene inherited from the parent that allows them to use the move the same way. Ampharos and Electivire probably control the fire the same way they aren't shocked by their own electricity. All other fire punchers are either psychic, fire, ghost, or simply powerful enough that a little bit of fire doesn't bother them (Regigigas and Dragonite).
---
There's nothing that sucks worse that that moment in an argument when you realize that you are wrong.