This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wait so why is Charizard terrible again?

#1iKhanicPosted 2/9/2013 11:33:08 AM
Okay, so I get that he has a quad weakness to stealth rock, but are you going to tell me Ho-Oh is also terrible because of that? Plus, just have a pokemon with rapid spin support.

Aside from that, he has immunity to ground type moves, a high Sp. Attack and speed, and he has access to Belly Drum and Solar Power. And like most Fire types, he can learn solar beam.

So what is so terrible about Charizard?
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#2bretonftwPosted 2/9/2013 11:36:39 AM
iKhanic posted...
Okay, so I get that he has a quad weakness to stealth rock

This topic ended quickly.
---
FROAKIE!
#3Throwback2780Posted 2/9/2013 11:38:24 AM
beause he is overrated s*** & is terrible.

NEXT TOPIC!
---
The evil clowns will DESTROY US ALL! DESTROY US ALL! DESTROY US ALL!
Ridley is best Metroid boss! proud servant of Lord Ridley! ALL HAIL RIDLEY!
#4Dark_Link92Posted 2/9/2013 11:39:03 AM
It isn't that he is TERRIBLE (aside from the massive, glaring flaw that you downplay), it's more that a lot of Pokemon can do his job easier, better and without support.
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!
#5Shadowmaster900Posted 2/9/2013 11:39:12 AM
Ho-oh has godly stats, a larger movepool and a lovely signature move (plus Regenerator) to help make up for its 4x weakness to Rock.
---
http://www.crimson-castle.co.uk
#6LexifoxPosted 2/9/2013 11:40:43 AM
First, the Stealth Rock weakness is a big liability.

Second, Ho-oh has much better stats, Regenerator, etc. that make it a very different beast.

Third, Belly Drum is incredibly risky, particularly for Charizard.

Fouth, SolarBeam is iffy even with sun.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#7Luigifan141Posted 2/9/2013 11:41:07 AM
I wouldn't say that Charizard is terrible, but I would say that he can't really fight on his own. Plus, with Belly Drum and Solar Power, he could also become very fragile, and Stealth Rock is insult to injury.

Charizard needs Pokemon like Ninetales and Starmie who can cover up Charizard's strengths and weaknesses with things like Sunny Day/Drought and Rapid Spin respectively, and you have to make sure that you don't make any dumb mistakes with Zard, or else he can get hurt badly.

In the end, Charizard can be a beast, he just needs the proper care. I'm not the biggest person at competitive play, but there's my two cents.
---
HEY VITA! Y U NO GAMES???
#8MagikarpRulesPosted 2/9/2013 11:43:37 AM
Well, consider I am a Charizard fan. However:

-Charizard doesn't have Recover, Ho-Oh does.
-Ho-Oh's stats vastly surpass those of Charizard.
-If your HP is already at 50%, you can't use Belly Drum.
-If Charizard has Solar Power, it can't have Belly Drum (it's an egg move, and Dream World abilities can only be passed by a female, while all DW starters are male).
-With Solar Power, Charizard loses HP every turn in the sun and has no means of recovering energy except Rest, which won't help matters when your opponent launches a Rock type attack.
#9iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 11:44:37 AM
Okay, then what about Volcarona, it has quad weakness to stealth rock (in addition to being particularly ugly), but its in OU.

And again, why doesn't rapid spin support fix that?
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#10Dark_Link92Posted 2/9/2013 11:46:58 AM
MagikarpRules posted...
Well, consider I am a Charizard fan. However:

-Charizard doesn't have Recover, Ho-Oh does.
-Ho-Oh's stats vastly surpass those of Charizard.
-If your HP is already at 50%, you can't use Belly Drum.
-If Charizard has Solar Power, it can't have Belly Drum (it's an egg move, and Dream World abilities can only be passed by a female, while all DW starters are male).
-With Solar Power, Charizard loses HP every turn in the sun and has no means of recovering energy except Rest, which won't help matters when your opponent launches a Rock type attack.

He gets Roost.
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!