This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Fine, it's time to for me to get this out of my chest ("pet" vs. "friend")

#1Mr_Snorlax1986Posted 2/9/2013 7:16:10 PM
This may be off-topic and have applications to the real world as well.

When people say they want a Pokemon, they would say they want it as a "pet". But I suppose I think differently, though. I would rather have a Pokemon as a "friend". The word "pet" just seems too demeaning, especially for Pokemon.It seems like you are the master and the pet is your slave. Even in real life, I would not want an animal as a "pet" but I'd rather have one as a "friend" - provided that I could have an emotional bond with it.

A question to start of the discussion: do you make any distinction between "pet" and "friend"?
---
Super Smash Bros. Brawl FC: FLARE - 2062 8829 7411
PSN: killersalmon
#2Pirate_ArrowsPosted 2/9/2013 7:17:23 PM
Who do you think I am Mr. Snorlax? Quicken Loans?
---
Keep the Pirate Arrows meme alive!
Topic title was a 80/80.
#3Rupin_SalesmanPosted 2/9/2013 7:17:39 PM
It depends on the Pokemon really.

If it is something like a Lillipup or a Purrloin, it can be considered a pet.

Something like a Tyranitar, Scrafty, or even a Ludicolo can be considered a friend, assuming they have high mentality and understand very well at the time.
---
"I love going on message boards and complaining about games I've never played!"
- Francis, Super Paper Mario
#4Mr_Snorlax1986(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 7:17:53 PM
Pirate_Arrows posted...
Who do you think I am Mr. Snorlax? Quicken Loans?

Wha?
---
#5Mr_Snorlax1986(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 7:19:27 PM
Rupin_Salesman posted...

Something like a Tyranitar, Scrafty, or even a Ludicolo can be considered a friend, assuming they have high mentality and understand very well at the time.

You're just basing that on the Pokemon's appearance, though. Anything that looks like a cute animal you would call a pet. I prefer, because Pokemon are highly intelligent, that they could all be friends.
---
#6Rupin_SalesmanPosted 2/9/2013 7:20:19 PM
Mr_Snorlax1986 posted...
Rupin_Salesman posted...

You're just basing that on the Pokemon's appearance, though. Anything that looks like a cute animal you would call a pet. I prefer, because Pokemon are highly intelligent, that they could all be friends.

Maybe it depends on what the Pokemon does. Do you use it to battle or just take care of it at home?
---
"I love going on message boards and complaining about games I've never played!"
- Francis, Super Paper Mario
#7Mr_Snorlax1986(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 7:22:45 PM
Rupin_Salesman posted...
Mr_Snorlax1986 posted...
Rupin_Salesman posted...

Maybe it depends on what the Pokemon does. Do you use it to battle or just take care of it at home?

Well, I'm not actually a trainer, I just play the games and don't role-play myself as an actual trainer. But if I did have a Pokemon, I would consider it a friend - even if I did take care of it.
---
#8darkdragongirlPosted 2/9/2013 7:24:20 PM
Intelligent?

Yeah get back to me when you're the one cleaning up after a Haxorus when it takes a crap.

Tch. Training isn't all lollipops, rainbows, and sugar plums ya' know.
---
Chespin 2013
Chespin me right round like a record
#9Mr_Snorlax1986(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 7:26:44 PM
darkdragongirl posted...
Intelligent?

Yeah get back to me when you're the one cleaning up after a Haxorus when it takes a crap.

Tch. Training isn't all lollipops, rainbows, and sugar plums ya' know.

Haxorus is pretty intelligent. It's pre-evolved form, Axew, shows a lot of personality in the anime, like Pikachu. The games' Pokedex says its a kind Pokemon. And don't forget the Pokepark and Mystery Dungeon series.
---
#10TVirusPredatorPosted 2/9/2013 7:28:50 PM
TC, normally I flash my charm and good looks (kinda hard to do here, when it comes to good looks), and accept friend requests as they come.

After seeing this topic, I am going to do something I have never done before: send a friend request. I completely agree with you about the whole pet vs. friend thing, and given how Pokémon are typically portrayed, I'm surprised that not as many people think like us. Yes, they look like animals, but they act like partners.
---
"Before you say anything, I would like to remind you that I am holding an axe." - Sherlock Holmes