This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can we get a Fire-breathing Chinese Dragon this gen?

#31darkdragongirlPosted 2/9/2013 10:57:12 PM
I actually have nothing against Chinese people. My grandfather wouldn't let my mother mingle with them, and subsequently she did the same to us growing up.

She let's us have Chinese friends. Heck she let's us have white friends. Well I'm an adult now, but I still have a little bro living with her.

She says some slanderous things, and we try to correct her and say someone wouldn't want them to say _____, but she just says she doesn't care what people think.

It isn't an excuse just a sad reality about my mom.
---
Chespin 2013
Chespin me right round like a record
#32MindManipulatorPosted 2/9/2013 11:05:37 PM
where is our prismatic dragon Pokemon guys
---
Ah man, read that as MathMurderer- PepTheGreat
#33GastroidPosted 2/9/2013 11:11:21 PM
From: RedArchangel20 | Posted: 2/10/2013 12:55:47 AM | #030
ITT: Silly kids derail the topic by quibbling about semantics.

The topic was founded on semantics to begin with.
---
Mechroid
Mech-variant Android
#34SooChillinPosted 2/9/2013 11:13:43 PM
We needzzz dragoguhhnnsss like Sheron from DBZ. ^_^
#35Ultimate_Nova_XPosted 2/9/2013 11:54:48 PM
If you're talking about that wwii massacre, then i still don't understand. It's not like modern day japanese people have the same mentality. It's like saying i hate white people because of the slavery that was pushed upon my fine young black peoples, but i really don't. Because it's not like a modern day white guy owned me as a slave. lol

It's irrational. But it's the way people are. I could tell you my feelings for the Japanese people, but I won't.

altaria isn't a dragon it's a god damn goose.
Altaria is based off a Chinese legend.

^That. Chirutarisu is actually based on a Da Peng Bird. Which apparently, is a descendant of the Feng Huang/Ho Ou/Chinese Phoenix.

Gastroid posted...
From: RedArchangel20 | Posted: 2/10/2013 12:55:47 AM | #030
ITT: Silly kids derail the topic by quibbling about semantics.

The topic was founded on semantics to begin with.

Beat me to it.

SooChillin posted...
We needzzz dragoguhhnnsss like Sheron from DBZ. ^_^

Rayquaza. But I would love another one.

darkdragongirl posted...
I actually have nothing against Chinese people. My grandfather wouldn't let my mother mingle with them, and subsequently she did the same to us growing up.

She let's us have Chinese friends. Heck she let's us have white friends. Well I'm an adult now, but I still have a little bro living with her.

She says some slanderous things, and we try to correct her and say someone wouldn't want them to say _____, but she just says she doesn't care what people think.

It isn't an excuse just a sad reality about my mom.

No pressure, but are you willing to share your story?

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
---
-User Name Origin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO_5esMq2kE#t=56s
"Japanese Wii U. American Wii U. The future is yours, Xenoblade U."
#36King-gamerPosted 2/10/2013 3:12:13 AM
Ruwalk posted...

I thought that was a myth on how Japan started? o-o Or is there proof of that now?

Anyway, as far as the similarities go the reason there are so many was because China was considered the intellectual super power (which it rightly was) while Japan was forming most of its early political and writing systems. Most countries in that sphere of the world looked to China for guidance due to its prosperity and wealth of educational texts. So in order to better itself in its early years Japan's people borrowed China's writing system and in turn gained access to their religious and philosophical writings, and used them to form their society.

And it's precisely because of that China was not that fond of Japan from the way I understand it. In China's eyes Japan's that annoying little brother who just copies everything you do. Japan has contempt for China for many political reasons I think.

I have no evidence for this other than a video, but I remember Dr Michio Kaku himself talking about something on immortality and how we may achieve it. During which he said there's a theory that Japanese may have came from China. There was a story of how in the old days, the emperor of China was getting old and was afraid of death, so he sent his sons, the princes to find the fountain of immortality and they could never come back until they do. Since they never found it, they could never come back so they fled to Japan.

Modern Japanese probably isn't 100% Chinese. There were most likely other natives and other races that may have mixed with them making the modern day Japanese today.

MagikarpRules posted...

A better example is Kingdra. It's a freaking seahorse. And Flygon is an insect, an adult antlion, which is similar to a dragonfly. Yet both of them are Dragon-type.

If I'm not mistaken, Seahorses are literally called "Little Dragons" in Japan. Hence it is a Japanese language specific pun. This is why Kingdra is dragon type. Also the reason why the dragon dude from Fruit Basket turns into a Seahorse.
---
This is a sig. Yup.
#37SandaanPosted 2/10/2013 4:41:33 AM
Ultimate_Nova_X posted...
King-gamer posted...
darkdragongirl posted...
Japanese, and Chinese people don't get along often.

Or I never did anyway.

>_>

They must have at some point at least. Otherwise there wouldn't have been so many cultural similarities.

Any way I prefer to forget WWII happened.

That's because Japanese and Chinese were once the same people. But that was more than how long? 1500 years ago?

It was much longer than that, maybe 5000-10000 years ago? They have a huge linguistical difference and ancestry. The Japanese started mimicking Chinese culture about 1500-1000 years ago during the Asuka and Heian periods when they started adopting Chinese thoughts into their country. After the Heian period which ended around 1100, I don't think they continued copying Chinese culture.
---
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JcDizon
"The reaper is always one step behind me..." - Shadow from Final Fantasy VI
#38Ultimate_Nova_XPosted 2/10/2013 10:57:51 AM
I have no evidence for this other than a video, but I remember Dr Michio Kaku himself talking about something on immortality and how we may achieve it. During which he said there's a theory that Japanese may have came from China. There was a story of how in the old days, the emperor of China was getting old and was afraid of death, so he sent his sons, the princes to find the fountain of immortality and they could never come back until they do. Since they never found it, they could never come back so they fled to Japan.

Modern Japanese probably isn't 100% Chinese. There were most likely other natives and other races that may have mixed with them making the modern day Japanese today.

Modern Japanese is CERTAINLY not Chinese. *trying hard to contain motivation for ranting*

I've heard of that story too many times in my childhood. Never really put the effort into thinking if it was history or just legend. The Chinese Emperor is none other than Qin Shi Huang. Or so I've heard. By the way, he's a bad guy, did you know? He abandoned Confucianism to make way for Legalism. And he ordered everyone to burn all their books so they can have no faith in anyone but himself. Also, it's to unify the languages they were using.

He did have his merits though. I won't discredit them, even though they are outweighed by his evil deeds. He also built the great wall.

If I'm not mistaken, Seahorses are literally called "Little Dragons" in Japan. Hence it is a Japanese language specific pun. This is why Kingdra is dragon type. Also the reason why the dragon dude from Fruit Basket turns into a Seahorse.

Forgot to address this earlier. Dragon's child. tatsu-no-otoshi. In my opinion Kingdra got it easy and it isn't fair to Lizardon and especially Gyarados, oh well.

It was much longer than that, maybe 5000-10000 years ago? They have a huge linguistical difference and ancestry. The Japanese started mimicking Chinese culture about 1500-1000 years ago during the Asuka and Heian periods when they started adopting Chinese thoughts into their country. After the Heian period which ended around 1100, I don't think they continued copying Chinese culture.

Yeah writing system and the mimicking was what I meant.

I have a strong negative opinion about Japanese ending it's copying of Chinese culture almost 1000 years ago. IMO, they should've just stuck to it.

Japan is also the only Asian nation of Chinese descent to not receive teachings of Confucius.
---
-User Name Origin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO_5esMq2kE#t=56s
"Japanese Wii U. American Wii U. The future is yours, Xenoblade U."
#39El_DustinoPosted 2/10/2013 11:07:54 AM
TIGERJACKS0N posted...
Ultimate_Nova_X posted...
TIGERJACKS0N posted...
darkdragongirl posted...
Japanese, and Chinese people don't get along often.

Or I never did anyway.

>_>

you are racist.

Actually, if he's Chinese, I would understand. Never mind the fact that he's a Pokemon (which is a JRPG) fan. Just like me.

If you're talking about that wwii massacre, then i still don't understand. It's not like modern day japanese people have the same mentality. It's like saying i hate white people because of the slavery that was pushed upon my fine young black peoples, but i really don't. Because it's not like a modern day white guy owned me as a slave. lol

Actually nationalism/racism is still fairly common in Japan...
---
The two most beautiful words in any language: I forgive.
#40Dr Edward RoivasPosted 2/10/2013 8:08:29 PM
Coleby posted...
Druddigon's a gargoyle? I thought it was a Play-Doh monster.

I thank you deeply. Druddigon's always been oddly familiar looking to me. He has such a Play-Doh texture and color scheme.
---
Tie it on, in your mind. It's your Noctourniquet.