This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking about getting into Pokemon games...

#1HeaderHogPosted 2/10/2013 1:13:08 PM
Thought that this would be a good place to start.
Note that I have never played a game past Gen 1 when I was 9.
So, how much will I have missed and not understand?
---
Bacon.
This sig is instantly awesome.
#2MisoSoup27Posted 2/10/2013 1:18:12 PM
All pokemon games are a good place to start. Every game has a completely different plot. Same game mechanics, level up, catch, fight, heal. Since this game is a completely new generation all the pokemon available will be from that generation. So it's a fresh new start.
---
XBL: Maniac MisoSoup
Steam: MisoSoup
#3KingTumbleweedPosted 2/10/2013 1:18:41 PM
You just won't know a bunch of pokemon and maybe a few references to earlier games.
---
<('__'< ) <( '__' )> ( >'__')> ^( '__' ^) (^ '__')^ ^( ' o ' )^
Official Ferrothorn of Pokemon X/Y boards. Apparently married to Sabrina.
#4BluntGruntPosted 2/10/2013 1:35:35 PM
You won't miss much to be honest.
---
For great justice!
#5Balamb00Posted 2/10/2013 1:45:38 PM
My recommendation when playing; don't let nostalgia ruin the experience. There are going to be completely new monsters and you may not even see a Pokemon you recognize until post game. With that said, understand it is still Pokemon and it has not really changed that much in basic concept since Pokemon red and blue. Enjoy it for what it is. The new mons will grow on you if ou enjoy the Game play. If you liked 1st Gen but just felt you were growing out of Pokemon and now have decided to return I suggest also understanding the games are still aimed for kids, which doesn't mean they're only meant for kids.
#6DarkKirby2500Posted 2/10/2013 1:46:41 PM
MisoSoup27 posted...
All pokemon games are a good place to start. Every game has a completely different plot. Same game mechanics, level up, catch, fight, heal. Since this game is a completely new generation all the pokemon available will be from that generation. So it's a fresh new start.

<_<
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#7PikaleyPosted 2/10/2013 2:22:05 PM
MisoSoup27 posted...
Since this game is a completely new generation all the pokemon available will be from that generation. So it's a fresh new start.

black and white are like this, but to my knowledge x and y havent said to be like this(feel free to correct me if im wrong) and no other game(besides gen 1 of course) were like this either, they all had some mix of older pokemon along the way....

i agree any of them are good places to start tho
---
3ds fc - 4983-5114-5815, Name: Brad