This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are humans eating Pokemon ethical?

#1Mr_Snorlax1986Posted 2/10/2013 8:17:37 PM
Yet another discussion, and this is more closely related to the "pet vs. friend" topic I had earlier. My same rules apply: if I disagree with you I won't attack you but try to respond to you in a civil manner. If I can't do this, well...you can smack me with a golf club.

To tell you the truth, while I am usually abhorred at the thought of humans eating Pokemon, in truth I'm rather conflicted about this. Many of the Pokedex entries clearly state that some Pokemon are predators and prey upon other Pokemon. I suppose one could use the logic if "lions could eat other animals, humans can too" that works in the real world to justify eating Pokemon.

But, there's not all there is to it. One of the reasons I became a Pokemon fan in the first place was because of how human-like many of the critters are - at least as how they are portrayed in the anime and in some games. One of my favorite scenes from the anime is Ash's Pikachu talking to a Caterpie while the full moon hung in the night sky. It was an adorable scene with the Pokemon talking in their own way. It was one of these scenes that convinced me that Pokemon are more than just "animals" - in the loose sense of the word. Afterwards it always made me feel bad to compare them to animals.

Not to mention that, Pokemon are portrayed as friends of human trainers. You wouldn't want to eat your friend, would you? So that makes the thought of eating them more unsettling.

But yeah...I'm exhausted from typing this and i can type more after people reply.
---
Super Smash Bros. Brawl FC: FLARE - 2062 8829 7411
PSN: killersalmon
#2SooChillinPosted 2/10/2013 8:19:52 PM
Yes. There are just certain Pokemon you can't eat.

Like eating a Latios. That would be unethical.
Eating a Pidgey is cool tho.
#3MetalgenesisPosted 2/10/2013 8:21:44 PM
Depends on the egg group.
---
Maybe I'll use you, to blow a midget's head off, or maybe I won't. - zer0
#4Pendragon71037Posted 2/10/2013 8:22:10 PM
Honestly, eating animals is fine in my eyes, to an extent, but I don't think many pokemon would be edible. Like Muk, or really any poison type.
---
Chuck Finley is Forever! People that agree: 5. Proud member of the Omastar Club. All hail Omastar! Official Torterra of the White 2 board.
#5Whats_Up4444Posted 2/10/2013 8:22:13 PM
In one of the Gen V entries it states that "it's tasty".

I forgot its name. It was the fish thing whom can be red or blue.
---
Oh no! My http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/570198-basketball-nightmare/ ! :o
http://tital.bigforumpro.com/ Join the Haven of all Kingdom Hearts Roleplays!
#6LegendofLink17Posted 2/10/2013 8:25:22 PM
I feel like Pokemon are as close to humans as they can be without being sentient. far above the qualification "animal" in my book. I think the reason they are able to be captured is because of some instinct that was formed when some system was created thousands of years before "training" and "battling" pokemon became the norm. I feel like there are also regular animals in the pokemon world, we just don't see them.
---
Black 2 FC: 1851 0539 3947
#7willingmessPosted 2/10/2013 8:25:30 PM
Whats_Up4444 posted...
In one of the Gen V entries it states that "it's tasty".

I forgot its name. It was the fish thing whom can be red or blue.

basculin, and farfetch'd has been mentioned to be tasty too
---
Warning! this post may cause severe laughter. viewer discretion is advised...... read it, it's funny!
#8fox444fPosted 2/10/2013 8:27:10 PM
Depends on the pokemon and the human eating it. Probably most ppl would consider eating pidgey ok but a flying type trainer would be appalled by it. I'd like to think it doesn't happen but ppl need to eat to survive.
---
Official Vulpix of the Pokemon X and Y boards.
#9Mr_Snorlax1986(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 8:29:13 PM
LegendofLink17 posted...
I feel like Pokemon are as close to humans as they can be without being sentient. far above the qualification "animal" in my book. I think the reason they are able to be captured is because of some instinct that was formed when some system was created thousands of years before "training" and "battling" pokemon became the norm. I feel like there are also regular animals in the pokemon world, we just don't see them.

I'm of a different opinion, that many (if not all) are sentient - but I suppose I've watched the anime a lot. I mean, look at Pikachu. Its communication skills far outperform even Dolphins and Chimpanzees. Even a Pokemon like Pidgey has been portrayed as sentient in the anime - it was able to get along with other Pokemon to build a playground in the Pichu short movie.
---
Super Smash Bros. Brawl FC: FLARE - 2062 8829 7411
PSN: killersalmon
#10PolimarioPosted 2/10/2013 8:29:19 PM
If Kyurem can eat people, people can eat Pokemon.
---
http://i.imgur.com/VXDSChH.png
Someone hit that reset button before we see Master Chief with a Keyblade. - TVirusPredator