This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

thinking back the gen 1 pokemon were pretty dull looking

#1tiamat999Posted 2/11/2013 2:02:11 PM
the starters were cool and some of the legendary were but most of em just look boring to me
---
favorite animated shows the Venture bros, gargoyles, justice league, avengers EMH, super robot wars og the inspector, young justice, avengers assemble, ragnarok
#2OldDirtyCRPosted 2/11/2013 2:06:10 PM
What gen did you start playing?
---
Official husband of Skyla.
#3TyranidomegaPosted 2/11/2013 2:06:42 PM
My exact feelings, and I grew up with Gen 1. Tbh, the only Pokemon I ever really cared for were Charizard and Mewtwo. Don't get me wrong, I liked cool Pokes like Blastoise, Kabutops, Aerodactyl, Arbok, Nidoking, Alakazam, Arcanine, the bird trio, Electabuzz, Magmar etc. But the majority did feel bland. The Pokemon became more interesting and frankly, more original as the Gens went by for me.
---
Official hot fudge sundae of the IDF
Official Hydreigon of the Pokemon B/W 2 Boards.
#4tiamat999(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 2:08:42 PM
OldDirtyCR posted...
What gen did you start playing?

gen 1
---
favorite animated shows the Venture bros, gargoyles, justice league, avengers EMH, super robot wars og the inspector, young justice, avengers assemble, ragnarok
#5duranmanXPosted 2/11/2013 2:18:12 PM
it's nice to see some people taking there nostalgia goggles off
---
The Official Melchizedek of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#6lazycomplifePosted 2/11/2013 2:18:39 PM
Except nothing even comes close to Gen 1 in terms of innovation and great pokemon designs.
---
"At your current user level, 5, you are only allowed to post 10 messages every 24 hours. In the past 24 hours, you have posted 116 messages."
#7keijimasterPosted 2/11/2013 2:20:57 PM
lazycomplife posted...
Except nothing even comes close to Gen 1 in terms of innovation and great pokemon designs.

Oh yes, half of the designs were circles. Wonderful innovation.
---
You're converting to Xbox over system failure? That's like getting pissed with chemo and deciding to stick with cancer.
#8darkdragongirlPosted 2/11/2013 2:21:55 PM
Started gen 1 myself.

Only interesting Gen 1 that I like design wise

Eevee's
Starters
Mew/two
Electabuzz
Jynx
Kabutops
Derpnite
Gyarados
Vulpix line
Pikachu line
Nidoran's lines

Gen 2 was very blah to me. I did like the Legendaries in it though.

Really like gen 3, some decent gen 4, and gen five took a nose dive with the starters, but I like the new bugs, and steel types.
---
Chespin 2013
Chespin me right round like a record
#9Twilight_SonataPosted 2/11/2013 2:29:15 PM
I started in Gen 1 too. I still remember being so excited to get my copy of Blue a few months after the game came out. I agree, the gen 1 Pokemon were relatively plainly designed.

Consider this, though. There have been a lot of "pet monster" games over the years, and what made Pokemon stand out so much in part was exactly that the majority of its designs were simplistic in an endearing way. NOWadays, we have much more clever designs and most of the gen 1 designs are "meh", and that's putting it gently, but Pokemon wouldn't have had the opportunity to create the more complex and creative designs that it has today without the simplistic designs that it started out with.

That's how I look at it, anyway, and it keeps me from being a gen 1 hater while still keeping my nostalgia goggles off, so I like it. Pokemon designs have gotten better, definitely, but they needed to have a starting point, and gen 1 offered a fantastic one.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#10westontickleePosted 2/11/2013 2:31:53 PM
Jiggs dull? No
---
I come from the future
Claire "Lightning" Farron's best friend, maried to Ayesha Altugle, ex lover of Milla Maxwell