This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think the existence of Eviolite will limit what can still evolve?

#1reaverzPosted 2/12/2013 12:38:32 PM
The general consensus appears to be that Gen VI will be one of the generations that introduces many evolutions for older Pokemon. However, do you think that Pokemon that didn't benefit from the item Eviolite in Gen V will be given evolutions? It can be argued that Eevee is fair game since the Eviolite "marked" it as a Pokemon that can still evolve. However, something like Banette was considered fully evolved in Gen V. Could GameFreak hesitate to evolve something that used to be considered fully evolved because of the Eviolite?

This topic isn't to debate whether or not older Pokemon other than Eevee will receive evolutions, so please assume there will be if you decide to post. Thank you.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#2Skull_proPosted 2/12/2013 12:40:36 PM
What they can do is to prevent us from transferring items from gen 5 to 6 and simply remove eviolite from existance.
---
Married to Clay, Driftveil city's gym leader
Official Roserade of the Pokemon X/Y boards
#3OldDirtyCRPosted 2/12/2013 12:41:05 PM
I was going to make this topic awhile ago but couldn't figure out how to word it.

I think eviolite will stop pokemon who are already 500BST+ from getting an evo. I'm sure there are a couple defensive pokemon that would benefit greatly from eviolite.
---
Official husband of Skyla.
#4jayman7Posted 2/12/2013 12:42:21 PM
Consider the existence of the Little Cup in Pokemon Stadium 2. Marill was eligible for the Little Cup. Did that stop it from getting a baby form?
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#5reaverz(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 1:48:10 PM(edited)
Skull_pro posted...
What they can do is to prevent us from transferring items from gen 5 to 6 and simply remove eviolite from existance.

I had forgotten the possibility of not having backwards-compatibility with Gen V, but really there's no reason not to have it. They already said that this isn't a reboot and the 3DS is closer to the DS than the DS was to the GBA. I really don't think they'll remove Eviolite, but stranger things have happened.

OldDirtyCR posted...
I was going to make this topic awhile ago but couldn't figure out how to word it.

I think eviolite will stop pokemon who are already 500BST+ from getting an evo. I'm sure there are a couple defensive pokemon that would benefit greatly from eviolite.

This is a great point. I used to already think Pokemon with a BST greater than 500 are unlikely to receive evolutions, but Eviolite really does make it necessary.

jayman7 posted...
Consider the existence of the Little Cup in Pokemon Stadium 2. Marill was eligible for the Little Cup. Did that stop it from getting a baby form?

This is a very good point. Thinking back to Gen I and II, I remember noticing that most Pokemon couldn't learn Hyper Beam by TM until they were fully evolved. However, that didn't stop Pokemon like Golbat and Seadra from evolving later. I guess it's easy enough to modify the Eviolite list so that it now works with a Pokemon that was considered fully evolved in a previous gen.
---
#6SlimeStackPosted 2/12/2013 1:48:30 PM
reaverz posted...
I had forgotten the possibility of not having backwards-compatibility with Gen V, but really there's no reason not to have it. They already said that this isn't a reboot and the 3DS is closer to the DS than the DS was to the GBA. I really don't think they'll remove Eviolite, but stranger things have happened.

IIRC, Gen 5 doesn't let you transfer items, only the Pokémon. It wouldn't have to cut off compatibility to cut out Eviolite.
---
Professional Chespin fanboy.
#7OldDirtyCRPosted 2/12/2013 2:00:28 PM
jayman7 posted...

I don't really see the comparison. Eviolite has the potential of making a pokemon OP. Marril being in the little cup...o_O
---
#8reaverz(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 2:25:09 PM(edited)
SlimeStack posted...
IIRC, Gen 5 doesn't let you transfer items, only the Pokémon. It wouldn't have to cut off compatibility to cut out Eviolite.

I admit I hadn't considered that. But it would be pretty paranoid of GameFreak to decide to off the Eviolite just because a few Pokemon that couldn't use it before can suddenly use it.

OldDirtyCR posted...
I don't really see the comparison. Eviolite has the potential of making a pokemon OP. Marril being in the little cup...o_O

I think what he means is that rules of Little Cup in Stadium 2 state that the Pokemon must be able to evolve at least once and cannot be an evolution itself. Back in Gen II, Marill fit this criteria and was considered a base stage Pokemon as per Little Cup rules. But then it received a pre-evolution in Gen III and would now be ineligible.
---
#9jayman7Posted 2/12/2013 2:26:03 PM
reaverz posted...
OldDirtyCR posted...

I think what he means is that rules of Little Cup in Stadium 2 state that the Pokemon must be able to evolve at least once and cannot be an evolution itself. Back in Gen II, Marill fit this criteria and was considered a base stage Pokemon as per Little Cup rules. But then it received a pre-evolution in Gen III and would now be ineligible.

Bingo. It's a retcon, just like Eviolite working for, let's say for sake of argument, Farfetch'd if he gets an evo, even though it doesn't work for him in the fifth gen.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#10OldDirtyCRPosted 2/12/2013 3:42:02 PM
jayman7 posted...
reaverz posted...
OldDirtyCR posted...

Bingo. It's a retcon, just like Eviolite working for, let's say for sake of argument, Farfetch'd if he gets an evo, even though it doesn't work for him in the fifth gen.

Yeah but this has nothing to do with little cups or categories or retcons. I was under the impression the TC was talking about stats, perhaps I'm wrong though. I thought he was talking about how certain pokemon would become OP if they got an evolution and had access to eviolite due to eviolite being a % increase on stats.

If I'm wrong I apologize then.
---