This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Doesn't Ice Beam's description contradict itself?

#1MetuaPosted 2/12/2013 12:37:05 PM
The target is struck with an icy-cold beam of energy. It may also freeze the target solid.

Coldness is a lack of energy, right? So how can energy be cold?
---
http://i.imgur.com/yKMR7.png
Monosodium glutamate!
#2LexifoxPosted 2/12/2013 12:38:18 PM
Coldness is a lack of energy? Then explain cold fusion. CHECK AND MATE.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#3wingblade98Posted 2/12/2013 12:38:39 PM
Metua posted...
The target is struck with an icy-cold beam of energy. It may also freeze the target solid.

Coldness is a lack of energy, right? So how can energy be cold?

stop splitting hairs
---
*is wearing jerk badge*
level 32 get!
#4SooChillinPosted 2/12/2013 12:38:49 PM
It's a Beam which is in energy. But it's icy.

lol.
#5Metua(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 12:39:46 PM(edited)
Lexifox posted...
Coldness is a lack of energy? Then explain cold fusion. CHECK AND MATE.

lol you rly get me "lucky box" person
---
http://i.imgur.com/yKMR7.png
Monosodium glutamate!
#6Yargitsu99zPosted 2/12/2013 12:40:05 PM
It's a superconductive energy wave.
---
[Expletive deleted at request of Gamefaqs]
P.o.I.: you may know me as; "Zanzibar Man", "----824", or "Sam Yargo".
#7KingdomHeartAcePosted 2/12/2013 12:41:17 PM
If I remember my science lessons correctly "coldness" is simply negative heat. Like negative degrees celsius/fahrenheit. It's still heat, and heat is energy, so it doesn't really contradict itself. Correct me if I'm wrong, I wasn't that good at science anyway. :P
#8JacornonthecobPosted 2/12/2013 12:45:44 PM
Nope! It's a real thing. They have really low energy beams, that are cold because they sap all the energy from the things they hit. It's still a beam of energy though.
#9willingmessPosted 2/12/2013 12:46:47 PM
KingdomHeartAce posted...
If I remember my science lessons correctly "coldness" is simply negative heat. Like negative degrees celsius/fahrenheit. It's still heat, and heat is energy, so it doesn't really contradict itself. Correct me if I'm wrong, I wasn't that good at science anyway. :P

there is no such thing as coldness within science whatsoever, only relative imbalances of heat distribution. look at kelvin the official standard of temperature measurement, there is no negative temperature.
---
Warning! this post may cause severe laughter. viewer discretion is advised...... read it, it's funny!
#10JacornonthecobPosted 2/12/2013 12:49:56 PM
willingmess posted...
KingdomHeartAce posted...

there is no such thing as coldness within science whatsoever, only relative imbalances of heat distribution. look at kelvin the official standard of temperature measurement, there is no negative temperature.

You can't have negative temperature in Kelvins, but you can have negative heat. If there's an exothermic reaction, DeltaH is negative, so the object has less heat because it's giving heat off to other things. Everything else around it gets warmer, but the original object is colder.

A low-energy beam would be a beam that 'steals' heat from its environment "the Pokemon". The beam would balance it's relatively low amount of heat, becoming warmer, while the object it would hit would become colder as it loses heat. Ice beam is just so low in energy that it makes the object much colder.