This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why are people soo bloody averse to the inclusion of a new type?

#1Big_IsaacPosted 2/13/2013 2:27:12 AM
first of all, I'm not saying that it is GOING to happen, just that it COULD potentially happen.

look at the signs:
- unlike Y-Bird (Dark/Flying), we don't have a very obvious type combination for X-Deer, which could be fixed by a hypothetical "light" type (making X-Deer Light/Grass)
- the first non-starter pokemon of gen 6 to be revealed is a "normal"-looking eeveelution whose evolution method and type are "top secret"

to elaborate on the second point, there would be really no point to keeping that thing's type a secret unless there's more to it. everyone with at least one functioning eye can see that, with the current type chart, Ninfia is going to be a normal type. why bother not coming out and saying it?
there's 2 possibilities, I'd say. either Ninfia does indeed have a new type or it has some other exclusive gimmick that involves its typing.

again, those things are not enough to proof that a new type is going to happen, but the possibility is there.
also, inb4 Dark = Evil type in Japanese, so Light doesn't work
so what? call it Light in English and Holy in Japan. problem solved.
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#2WindyligthPosted 2/13/2013 2:32:36 AM

Ligth doesn't have to be a countertype to anything, it can be it's own type.
---
I am here to promote the discussion and appreciation of Fennekin.
#3QuetzalmaPosted 2/13/2013 2:34:02 AM(edited)
Dark is more along the lights of Trickster/Deceit then actual Evil(usually known as the Shadow Element in most RPG), so it doesn't go against Light/Holy

I'm not for or against a new type, if they add one and it works, its great, but they have to be careful when adding it or it could turn ugly real fast
#4SephirothtPosted 2/13/2013 2:34:49 AM
I'll give you some praise for thinking further than light should be the oppostie of dark.

Concerning the keeping his type secret. Firstly, it'll probably have some sort of typing gimmick. Dunno, just seems so from my point of view. Secondly, just because it's kept secret doesn't mean it's gonna be a new type. There has been many times a new Pokemon was revealed but the typing was kept secret longer.
---
Official Jungo & Black Rider of the SMTIV board.
Officially faved Ninetales everywhere, R - Burning Executive
#5Big_Isaac(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 2:40:01 AM
Windyligth posted...

Ligth doesn't have to be a countertype to anything, it can be it's own type.

yeah, that too

Quetzalma posted...
Dark is more along the lights of Trickster/Deceit then actual Evil(usually known as the Shadow Element in most RPG), so it doesn't go against Light/Holy

I'm not for or against a new type, if they add one and it works, its great, but they have to be careful when adding it or it could turn ugly real fast

they did fine with the inclusion of steel and dark in gen2 and with a franchise as huge as Pokemon, I doubt they'd do anything reckless without properly balancing things
---
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#6Big_Isaac(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 2:46:41 AM
Sephirotht posted...
I'll give you some praise for thinking further than light should be the oppostie of dark.

Concerning the keeping his type secret. Firstly, it'll probably have some sort of typing gimmick. Dunno, just seems so from my point of view. Secondly, just because it's kept secret doesn't mean it's gonna be a new type. There has been many times a new Pokemon was revealed but the typing was kept secret longer.

again, I am not saying that these things PROVE that there is going to be a new type. all I'm saying is that it's a possibility based on these things
as for the naming, Fighting is "heroic" in Japanese, correct? what about calling the Light type "Virtuous" or something like that in Japanese to better oppose dark?
---
#7Hierarchy225Posted 2/13/2013 2:50:55 AM
We really don't need a light type, the types are already really balanced. Adding a "light" typing could potential screw everything up.
#8Shadow_StarWolfPosted 2/13/2013 2:52:52 AM(edited)
ITT people don't think "hiding" the type is for building hype

Why so though? We already have the counterpart for it, it's called Fighting
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZOdcN.png
We Are XROS HEART!
#9MettanAtemPosted 2/13/2013 2:54:30 AM
Like stated above, the 17 types are already all balanced.
The only reason Dark and Steel were added in Gen2 (and now we're entering Gen6, for reference) is that in Gen1 the Psychic type was horribly broken, and Dark and Steel were implemented specifically to counter it while still being viable against other types.
#10LexifoxPosted 2/13/2013 2:56:32 AM
People are generally against the inclusion of a new type because:

1. The argument for many of the newer types are generally flimsy.
2. People really misunderstand what the "Dark" type is.
3. The type chart doesn't need a new typing.
4. It would make more sense to work on balancing the current chart instead of throwing in more types.
5. The type chart is pretty inclusive as is, and the proposed types are a stretch.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod