This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The only problems with the introduction of a light type...

#1sonicfanaticjtbPosted 2/13/2013 6:53:58 AM
There's two that I have.

1 ) If Flash Cannon is anything to go by, Steel is supposed to be our light type. Flash Cannon, and any other steel type move that uses light could be changed to the new typing like Bite was, but then special steel types like Empoleon lose out on a special secondary stab move. Unless another one is made, of course.

2 ) The main reason why gen 2 introduced two new typings was probably to nerf king psychic. I mean, I don't have any proof that this was the main reason, but considering that both Dark and Steel resist or are immune to psychic, Dark hits psychic super effectively, and we haven't had any new types since seems to suggest that there was more to the introduction of Dark and steel than simply making the games feel fresh.

I'm not saying that a new type ain't happening, 'nor am I saying that light type is totally out of the question... I simply have my doubts.

Also, sorry if this post seems choppy or something, it's 8 in the morning and I barely got any sleep last night... Damned insomnia <_<
---
Krystal and Phoenix Wright for Smash 4!
... Please, Sakurai?
#2Cheesepower5Posted 2/13/2013 6:57:20 AM
Plus, Light and Electricity often have an association in these sorts of games anyway. Look at Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger.
---
Official Naga Raja of the SMT IV board.
Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
#3EstheimasterPosted 2/13/2013 6:57:39 AM
Flash Cannon can remain Steel, because of the metal properties of a cannon. They'll just make new light moves, like... Sunshine Blast or Starlight Wave... Okay those were awful.

But isn't normal already like a Light type? Hyper Beam and Swift seem to be "Light" moves.
---
Official Bulbasaur of the Pokemon X boards.
#4LexifoxPosted 2/13/2013 7:04:34 AM
Flash Cannon's Japanese name is "Luster Cannon", which refers to the reflection of light, shining, gloss, radiance, etc.

Light Screen (aka Light Wall/Wall of Light) is Psychic, as is Luster Purge.

Morning Sun (aka Morning Sunlight) is Normal, as is Flash.

Confuse Ray is Ghost, and its Japanese name has "Light" in it, and the attack is described as a flash of light.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#5_Super_Shadow_Posted 2/13/2013 7:06:22 AM
Cheesepower5 posted...
Plus, Light and Electricity often have an association in these sorts of games anyway. Look at Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger.

So do water and Ice, eve to a more likely degree.

Everyone here is being so close minded.
---
Ridley, Tom Nook, Lip, Paper Mario, Megaman, Lloyd Irving, and Agumon for Smash
#6Cheesepower5Posted 2/13/2013 7:07:28 AM
Everything we know is just rays of light as interpreted through a gel-like layer of tissue.

It's all around us, man.

(For extra effect, read this in the voice of Barry from "American Dad.")
---
Official Naga Raja of the SMT IV board.
Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
#7SeThelloSomaPosted 2/13/2013 7:07:43 AM
Gamefreak is smarter than to put a dumb Light Type.

Light is energy and has no mass. What could something that has no mass be super effective against?
#8_Super_Shadow_Posted 2/13/2013 7:08:51 AM
SeThelloSoma posted...
Gamefreak is smarter than to put a dumb Light Type.

Light is energy and has no mass. What could something that has no mass be super effective against?

psychic energy has mass huh?
---
Ridley, Tom Nook, Lip, Paper Mario, Megaman, Lloyd Irving, and Agumon for Smash
#9LexifoxPosted 2/13/2013 7:10:44 AM
_Super_Shadow_ posted...
So do water and Ice, eve to a more likely degree.

Everyone here is being so close minded.

Water and Ice are strongly affiliated, but it would make sense to keep the two separate since water isn't necessarily cold. Ice is cold and solid, and helps avoid certain odd matchups like vs Fire.

psychic energy has mass huh?

Have you ever studied psychic energy? Now who's mind isn't open?
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#10SeThelloSomaPosted 2/13/2013 7:12:04 AM
I always thought of psychics as controlling the mind. So when you control the mind of opponent it hurts.

The best example of this is flash, its light, and it doesnt hurt the opponent since its just light.

Unless youre arguing that the light type should only have moves that blind?