This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I hope NoA announce Ninfia's type and English name tomorrow.

#11LexifoxPosted 2/13/2013 7:52:24 AM
I'm told that Espeon's Japanese name is a combination of esper and "feel/sense".
And Umbreon means "shadow"... which is generally affiliated with Ghost Pokemon.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#12MellowLyricistPosted 2/13/2013 7:52:44 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#13NomytakerPosted 2/13/2013 7:52:51 AM
KogaSteelfang posted...
Nomytaker posted...
Lexifox posted...
Nomytaker posted...
Lexifox posted...
Name is possible, but don't expect type until Japan gets it.

To be honest, once Kiteon/Ninfia/Nympheon gets her name, her typing will be easy to figure out.

It already has a name.

Hmmm just her Japanese name, not an American one. It's only fans that have called Nympheon, and that's only because it's based on the Japanese name. Once she gets her official Americanization name, she'll be as easy to figure out, like a Jolteon, or a Vaporeon.

Was Umbreon easier to figure out than Blacky?

The word "umbra-, umbro-, umbr-, umbel-" is Latin: shade, shadow. (points to his sig which is latin for "If you wish for peace, prepare for war")
Blacky which could be Shadow or Shade, could as be seen as black belt.

Nymph's to me are too vague of a typing, you can get Celestial, Land, Water, Wood and plants, underworld, music, wine, and heck even the legendary muses were Nymphs!
So in short....yes. Umbreon is easier to figure out than Blacky. Just like Kiteon is easier to figure out than Ninfia. :P
---
Sic vis pacem, para bellum
#14KogaSteelfangPosted 2/13/2013 8:06:13 AM(edited)
@Nomytaker:

Yeah, if you're versed in Latin, or do research it's easy to figure out.
However, when someone mentions Black, I think of the color, which is dark.

If you take the names so literally, Vaporeon doesn't make since. Vapor is a gas, not a liquid. In Pokemon games gas = poison or ghost.
Vapor is also light, and thus rises up into the sky, and according to pokemon that makes it Flying type.

Even if it's English name is Nympheon, it wouldn't necessarily indicate a type either. People assume it'd be Bug type, because there are bugs called Nymphs. There are also Water Nymphs, which are fairies alongside Wood Nymphs.
An English name might clue us in, or it could just lead to more guesswork.

EDIT: Also, look at Vaporeon's Japanese name, Showers.
Which makes you think immediately of Water? Showers, or Vapor?
In this case, the Japanese name was more effective in conveying the type than the Engish name.
---
3ds FC: 0817-3909-5696. PSN Grindpantera.
If you add me, please send a PM with your code.
#15MellowLyricistPosted 2/13/2013 10:00:48 AM
You have a point about Vaporeon's Japanese name being more obvious, but saying Vaporeon makes no sense is pushing it. Vaporeon's pseudo-signature move, Acid Armor, had it turn itself into water vapor.

Thunders is also obvious, but Booster is less so (could be a normal type or something).
---
Children, send me back home
For this is the reason you were born
#16LexifoxPosted 2/13/2013 10:01:26 AM
MellowLyricist posted...
You have a point about Vaporeon's Japanese name being more obvious, but saying Vaporeon makes no sense is pushing it. Vaporeon's pseudo-signature move, Acid Armor, had it turn itself into water vapor.

Thunders is also obvious, but Booster is less so (could be a normal type or something).

Uh.. Acid Armor says the user melts itself, not evaporates itself.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#17MellowLyricistPosted 2/13/2013 10:15:05 AM
You know what, I was going with the anime debut of Vaporeon when it disappeared into water. Guess anime physics don't always apply.
---
Children, send me back home
For this is the reason you were born
#18LexifoxPosted 2/13/2013 10:18:33 AM
MellowLyricist posted...
You know what, I was going with the anime debut of Vaporeon when it disappeared into water. Guess anime physics don't always apply.

Stadiums: Melts the user's body for protection.
R/S/E: Liquifies the userís body
FR/LG: The user alters its cells to liquefy itself
Onward: The user alters its cellular structure to liquefy itself
---
#19IrisVilePosted 2/13/2013 10:21:35 AM
I kind of hope if Ninfia turns out to be Flying/Wind that it is named Zephereon/Zepheon
---
One Girl + One Eevee = A Solo Run To RuleThem All http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960099-pokemon-heartgold-version/60725080
#20KogaSteelfangPosted 2/14/2013 5:47:44 PM
...and it's Sylveon.
---
3ds FC: 0817-3909-5696. PSN Grindpantera.
If you add me, please send a PM with your code.