This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Took a look at Flying-type Pokemon

#11Twilight_SonataPosted 2/13/2013 12:32:47 PM
Shirokaido posted...
they have other types to em.

All flying types other than Tornadus have other types to them.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#12DarkFistsPosted 2/13/2013 12:34:17 PM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
Shirokaido posted...

This, but he forgot that Empoleon actually isn't a flying type :P
---
PSN=Gelthidor
#13Shirokaido(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 12:39:06 PM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
Shirokaido posted...

I apologize for not being specific enough.
They've got a type that's not normal. Once again, in lieu of their final evolution, it'd make no sense to dual-type them otherwise. Bah, this is off the argument, anyway. I've no qualm with pokes that could be flying but aren't. There's just no support behind the new one being Flying, what with the lack of pokes that are flying but have no flying traits.
#14KitschgardenerPosted 2/13/2013 12:44:38 PM
Kite? As in those ribbons on it are supposed to be ribbons on a kite? I'm not seeing it... Also, the Golurk example doesn't mean much since it isn't Flying type.

You had a problem with it being a Flying-type without any visible means to fly. Golurk isn't Flying-type but it can learn Fly, even if its sprite or art doesn't show it. Ditto Genesect. GF don't "do" realistic flight methods - if Ninfia can fly just because, that wouldn't be weirdest decision at all.
There are other pokes with flying-like qualities, such as Garchomp's twin turbo-engine head, or any number of dragons with wings, for that matter.

*facepalm* Have you ever heard of the "no true Scotsman" fallacy? Why would you say wings or a "sky-related implemention" (lol) is necessary for it to be Flying-type, then remark that Dragons with wings aren't Flying-type?
Yeah, I've wanted a flying -eon since Gen 1, but I don't think this is it. I saw a post somewhere about 'Zeyphereon' or something like it, and I imagined... well, not this.

What did you imagine the first Dark/Fighting type to look like? Like Scraggy? I'd be surprised if you did.
sky-related quality

It's the lightest and least dense Eeveelution, and its screenshots show its ribbons floating up beside it.
#15UpwardTHunderPosted 2/13/2013 12:52:40 PM
im bettn on ninfia be flying. there goin w the last element really left.........air. but being as gamefreak chose to use flying to express said type they have to go w it. just think of it controlling wind gust, tornados n such.
#16Shirokaido(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 1:02:59 PM
Kitschgardener posted...
Kite? As in those ribbons on it are supposed to be ribbons on a kite? I'm not seeing it... Also, the Golurk example doesn't mean much since it isn't Flying type.

You had a problem with it being a Flying-type without any visible means to fly. Golurk isn't Flying-type but it can learn Fly, even if its sprite or art doesn't show it. Ditto Genesect. GF don't "do" realistic flight methods - if Ninfia can fly just because, that wouldn't be weirdest decision at all.
There are other pokes with flying-like qualities, such as Garchomp's twin turbo-engine head, or any number of dragons with wings, for that matter.

*facepalm* Have you ever heard of the "no true Scotsman" fallacy? Why would you say wings or a "sky-related implemention" (lol) is necessary for it to be Flying-type, then remark that Dragons with wings aren't Flying-type?
Yeah, I've wanted a flying -eon since Gen 1, but I don't think this is it. I saw a post somewhere about 'Zeyphereon' or something like it, and I imagined... well, not this.

What did you imagine the first Dark/Fighting type to look like? Like Scraggy? I'd be surprised if you did.
sky-related quality

It's the lightest and least dense Eeveelution, and its screenshots show its ribbons floating up beside it.

Again, the argument isn't about non-flying types that can be flying. I'll admit that I fed into it without thinking, which is all of the business with Golurk, Garchomp and other dragon-types. So, let us look at the Flying types again, and this time in earnest. Those without wings:
-Doduo+Dodrio
I've already stated my thoughts on them, but I'll say it again: I dunno how they made the cut, but they can learn fly, and are obviously birds.
-Gyarados
One of the two examples of flyers without real flying qualities.
-Hoppip+Skiploom+Jumpluff
Part of my 'implementations' bit (forgive me, I couldn't find a better word to cover all the gimmicks), they're perpetually floating pokes.
-Delibird
Same shtuff as Doduo and Dodrio. Another that can learn fly. So, I'm guessing a bird makes it flying without pause in their minds.
-Rayquaza
No wings, but it's a sky dragon meant to balance out the other two creatures of land and sea. Implementation business.
-Drifloon+Drifblim
Floaty-floatiness.
-Rotom
Example two of "I dunno how it came to this". However, in retrospect, this is only the fan-type Rotom. Didn't take that into account. So I guess it falls under my implementation business.
-Arceus
Well. Every type includes Flying.
-Kami trio
Clouds. More of my implementation business (for my sake, give me a new word.)

So, after this, Gyarados stands as the only example I can find.
#17darkdragongirlPosted 2/13/2013 1:11:31 PM
Ninfia has bows/ribbons. Near weightless objects that glide or fly away in the wind.

Also, looks like Skyla drew it after seeing a Victini.
---
Chespin 2013
Chespin me right round like a record
#18LenneValkiryePosted 2/13/2013 1:13:47 PM(edited)
Flying ws originally intended to be a "sub-type". It was given to things that had wings (as well as Gyarados, but there's a myth that explains that) who didn't already have a secondary type (like Beedrill and Venomoth).

Starting from gen 2, flying became a "sub-type that includes air-based attacks". Notice how Gust was a NORMAL-type move in gen 1, as well as Whirlwind and Razor Wind.

In gen 5 now flying seems to be the "air type but we still it use it as a sub-type", hence we have things like Rotom-S and Tornadus.
#19Shirokaido(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 1:16:26 PM
darkdragongirl posted...
Ninfia has bows/ribbons. Near weightless objects that glide or fly away in the wind.

Also, looks like Skyla drew it after seeing a Victini.

I actually had a question about this: the low weight of Ninfa. I've seen the scanned images of the magazine, but I can't read Japanese, so I don't know if the weight is something they pointed out in the text. I can see where the height and weight are mentioned, but does some of the text explicitly point out 'the lightest Eevee evolution yet!' or something?
Bows and ribbons don't seem to be a qualifying factor in whether something is a flying type or not, as per my last post.
#20Shirokaido(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 1:22:17 PM
LenneValkirye posted...
Flying ws originally intended to be a "sub-type". It was given to things that had wings (as well as Gyarados, but there's a myth that explains that) who didn't already have a secondary type (like Beedrill and Venomoth).

Starting from gen 2, flying became a "sub-type that includes air-based attacks". Notice how Gust was a NORMAL-type move in gen 1, as well as Whirlwind and Razor Wind.

In gen 5 now flying seems to be the "air type but we still it use it as a sub-type", hence we have things like Rotom-S and Tornadus.

You makes the most sense. Noting this progression, I could see how it's plausible to have more flying types without wings. The only hole is that Razor Wind isn't flying, but I wish to all creation it was! Also, Whirlwind isn't flying either. Could be they did Gust for balancing reasons, like they did for Bite. Nonetheless, considering the aforementioned progress, I still don't see how Ninfa qualifies for a flying type, unless the magazine has explicit statements about its weight.