This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you believe there will be gender specific Eeveelutions?

#41GeramothPosted 2/14/2013 12:27:15 PM
Hizeme posted...
Twilight_Sonata posted...

Let's ask Gardevoir, Lopunny, Gothitelle, Jigglypuff, Clefairy, and Munna.

Anyone else notice both gardevoir and lopunny ARE femle only?

Are you drunk.

No just plain old stupid
#42HejiruPosted 2/14/2013 12:27:51 PM
If that were the case you'd think they'd reveal both a male and female one at the same time.
---
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy
#43TheoryGentPosted 2/14/2013 12:42:27 PM
I think it would be cool to have gender-specific eeveelutions , although I'd like the ratio to altered so female would be easier to obtain.

As for the whole sexism thing *ah-hem* rant/
It is not sexist to assume the gender of anyone based on the characteristics they possess.(Noticing that someone is a man or woman, not sexist)

It is sexist to discriminate against someone because of said gender.
(Paying someone less because they are a man or woman, sexist)

I've read this topic and the only thing people have done is look at the qualities of Ninfia and made the judgement call that it looks feminine. Now you might be saying "how does it look feminine, because it's pink and has bows, that assumption is sexist!".

Well the way I look at it is by looking at other female-characters portrayed for children. Many toys that take on a female nature are built with a slender-frame and use brighter color schemes like pink or yellow. In cartoons and tv shows where the eyes of men and women are different, women are often given more detail to add a puppy-dog/bug-eyed/"sparkle" characteristic to their eyes to add a certain cuteness to them. These same shows sometimes present a "pink" character who is always female and often times the most girly-girl out of the group. Plus in all my youth/baby-sitting days I've haven't seen any guy who has a bow as part of his outfit, but I can name a ton of girl characters who have used bows as part of their regular outfit.

Now I'm not saying that if I saw someone wearing a pink outfit with a bowtie, I would consider them feminine. I'm not saying that any male Ninfia should watch out for his masculinity. But I am saying that for a fictional-character portrayed to childen, being pink, having bows, a slender-frame, and bug-eyes are feminine qualities and since Ninfia has these feminine qualities, it would not be a stretch(nor sexist) to assume that if such a hypothetical pair of eeveelutions existed, Ninfia would be the female.

Now the moment someone starts raging that Ninfia is weak because of it's gender, then by all means sexist train go! /rant

On another note, if there were gender exclusive eeveelutions, would they be the same type or compliment each other?
#44Twilight_SonataPosted 2/14/2013 12:47:50 PM
TheoryGent posted...
It is not sexist to assume the gender of anyone based on the characteristics they possess.

That depends on context. When the context is that of people, you are usually right. When the context is that of a fictional creature whose gender ratio is actually skewed heavily towards male in a game where fictional creatures are constantly breaking stereotypical gender norms, assuming that it's female because it has what could be called feminine features is definitely suspect.

Well the way I look at it is by looking at other female-characters portrayed for children. Many toys that take on a female nature are built with a slender-frame and use brighter color schemes like pink or yellow. In cartoons and tv shows where the eyes of men and women are different, women are often given more detail to add a puppy-dog/bug-eyed/"sparkle" characteristic to their eyes to add a certain cuteness to them. These same shows sometimes present a "pink" character who is always female and often times the most girly-girl out of the group.

Yes, and social scientists have long pointed out that these limitations in representations are exactly problematic because of how they perpetuate gender stereotyping.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#45TheoryGentPosted 2/14/2013 1:13:51 PM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
TheoryGent posted...
It is not sexist to assume the gender of anyone based on the characteristics they possess.

That depends on context. When the context is that of people, you are usually right. When the context is that of a fictional creature whose gender ratio is actually skewed heavily towards male in a game where fictional creatures are constantly breaking stereotypical gender norms, assuming that it's female because it has what could be called feminine features is definitely suspect.

If we were talking about what gender Ninfia is, in general, then I would agree with you. To assume that Ninfia is a girl when Eevee has such a high rate of being male would be ridiculous. Except in this case, we're are assuming a pair of gender-specific eeveelution where Ninfia is one of those pair. This means that while the Eevee gender split will be 12.5% to 87.5%, the Ninfia gender split would be 100% to 0% one way or the other so we can't use Eevee's gender ratio to decide whether Ninfia is one or the other. Therefore we have to based on it's appearance.

I was pointing out past examples and patterns in-order to infer that Ninfia would be female because it's appearance shared similar characteristics. If you want another example, look at Latios and Latias. Latias, a 100% female pokemon, possess similar traits I discussed before. If you were to hold up the picture of Latios and Latias and say one is male and one is female, based on the traits portrayed in many kids shows, people would say Latias is the female.

Well the way I look at it is by looking at other female-characters portrayed for children. Many toys that take on a female nature are built with a slender-frame and use brighter color schemes like pink or yellow. In cartoons and tv shows where the eyes of men and women are different, women are often given more detail to add a puppy-dog/bug-eyed/"sparkle" characteristic to their eyes to add a certain cuteness to them. These same shows sometimes present a "pink" character who is always female and often times the most girly-girl out of the group.

Yes, and social scientists have long pointed out that these limitations in representations are exactly problematic because of how they perpetuate gender stereotyping.

And I agree with you and social scientists. I was merely bringing up past data to support my hypothesis. I believe that if Ninfia was part of a gender exclusive pair, GF would not be the forerunners to break past stereotypes. Then again, I don't work at GF and I'm not in control of what they do.

On an unrelated-note, Happy V day.
#46ShyvanaPosted 2/14/2013 1:31:48 PM
The only part about this topic I like is when that ONE PERSON that comes in and deliberately thinks they have the upper hand in information when they are clearly wrong.

dat male lopunny
---
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9412/comeatmebro1.png
didn't america win the civil war? - lunarknight64 (Posted 11/10/2009 3:15:32 PM)
#47konichiwa8ePosted 2/14/2013 2:04:31 PM
Hejiru posted...
If that were the case you'd think they'd reveal both a male and female one at the same time.

@Heijru Well, it wasn't revealed so much as it was "leaked" and confirmed. Besides, when have we only gotten 1 eeveelution? I wouldn't be surprised if GF put in an exclusive way to evolve the Eevee to generate more online trading lol.

RE the topic: I'm rolling gender specific evolution. If you feel that your argument is GF has included male versions of what many would consider female-looking Pokemon is sound, then, by all means, my argument is sound as well b/c GF has made 20 exclusively female and 19 exclusively male Pokemon.

Also, each generation of Eeveelutions has a new way to evolve. The remaining evolution methods are trading/leveling up while holding an item, knowing a certain move, trading, and level up.

We've seen that GF has been introducing gender differences/exclusivity for a while now.
Most notably, Snorunt and Ralts have a normal evolution scheme by leveling up while they also have a stone-based evolution exclusive to one gender (Snorunt --> Froslass, Ralts--> Gallade).

At the same time, there's Pokes that run counter to that theory, like Clamperl which has a pink evolution into Gorebyss (like Sylveon) and a blue evolution into Huntail. Clamperl evolves with an item and both evolutions share a 1:1 ratio.

So, both arguments are sound. Personally, I think I'd prefer a gender specific evolution while holding an item b/c it gives other Pokes another route to evolve too (especially since more of them are 1:1).

RE the meta-argument: I loved reading this. It's like a diatribe on society's views of gender roles and sexuality. And then there's the stubbornness to concede sound and validly made arguments for the sake of argument.

The internet is an awesome soapbox. I love how evolution mechanics became something much bigger o_o
---
OK!
#48EnferolunosPosted 2/14/2013 2:20:39 PM
I hate when people try to homogenize gender
---
Currently awaiting: Pikmin 3, Lunar Knights 2, LM:DM, AC:NL, XY, X, WW HD, LoZ U, LR:FFXIII, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you