This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can we please go back to having a badass rival?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Can we please go back to having a badass rival?
3 years ago#121
sonicfanaticjtb posted...
Silver's shaken a bit by what Lance tells him after the mahogony event, though not enough to not claim something to the effect of, "I can't believe I lost to a bleeding heart like him!" Then there's the Radio Tower event where I think it's more or less business as usual for him, and then it's the last required battle with him where he finally begins to understand what Lance told him. My memory's a bit fuzzy on the specifics, but that's basically the extent of his character development in the second gen games. Thanks to a few new events, including the special Celebi event, , the remakes does make his character development a lot more apparent and, dare I say, fleshes it out a bit.

This makes perfect sense, though. Silver's had a tough life. He's not the kind of person who's just going to instantly believe some random trainer who trashed him in a fight; in fact, his first response will be to get angry that he lost. And he does. He holds a grudge against Lance, and he acts like it's simply because Lance defeated him, but the real reason is because Lance made him question his entire life. That's painful for anyone to deal with, and given Silver's personality he's not going to immediately changed. He, more or less, had to be forced to see what he was doing wrong by repeated losing to Ethan/Lyra.

So yes, in Mahogany Town, Lance upsets Silver's life. But he's so confused and emotionally conflicted that he can't actually begin to accept the dragon tamer's advice until he's defeated at Victory Road.

The only things that GSC really lacks compared to HGSS's character development are the Dragon's Den double battle and the Celebi event. Because even in GSC, he has a Crobat in the 7th battle. That tells more than any text bubble ever could. The Celebi event is pretty big, though, because it confirms Giovanni to be his father, fully explains that relationship, and explains why Silver hates Team Rocket so much.

wind64a posted...
luigi_master29 posted...
and then there was Wally who was kinda cool, but you only battle him 'once'.

Twice, you battle him twice not once.

Yeah, but the first time he only has a level 17 Ralts. It's more of a curbstomp than a battle...if that's a challenge to you at that point in the game, you're doing something horribly wrong. Hence why luigi_master put 'once' in quotations.
---
....because shutup.
R - Hyuck hyuck hyuck!
(message deleted)
3 years ago#123
ashcrv posted...
Sebas27 posted...
What's tsundere?

A chick that acts all tough and stuff but is really soft on the inside.
I think.
Also no. No more angry brats please.

O_o up until now I thought that was a pedo term. What's with all the open pedos??
---
my sig was getting old.
3 years ago#124
snuffles504 posted...

This makes perfect sense, though. Silver's had a tough life. He's not the kind of person who's just going to instantly believe some random trainer who trashed him in a fight; in fact, his first response will be to get angry that he lost. And he does. He holds a grudge against Lance, and he acts like it's simply because Lance defeated him, but the real reason is because Lance made him question his entire life. That's painful for anyone to deal with, and given Silver's personality he's not going to immediately changed. He, more or less, had to be forced to see what he was doing wrong by repeated losing to Ethan/Lyra.

So yes, in Mahogany Town, Lance upsets Silver's life. But he's so confused and emotionally conflicted that he can't actually begin to accept the dragon tamer's advice until he's defeated at Victory Road.

The only things that GSC really lacks compared to HGSS's character development are the Dragon's Den double battle and the Celebi event. Because even in GSC, he has a Crobat in the 7th battle. That tells more than any text bubble ever could. The Celebi event is pretty big, though, because it confirms Giovanni to be his father, fully explains that relationship, and explains why Silver hates Team Rocket so much.

There's also the fact that Silver tries to return the pokémon that he stole to professor realm in HG/SS. I'm pretty sure that event wasn't in the original games.
---
Krystal and Phoenix Wright for Smash 4!
... Please, Sakurai?
3 years ago#125
sonicfanaticjtb posted...
There's also the fact that Silver tries to return the pokémon that he stole to professor realm in HG/SS. I'm pretty sure that event wasn't in the original games.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that. It wasn't in the originals, because I remember Elm's assistant getting stuck on the line: "Sigh...that stolen Pokemon. I wonder how it's doing? They say a Pokemon raised by a bad person turns bad itself."
---
....because shutup.
R - Hyuck hyuck hyuck!
3 years ago#126
Twilight_Sonata posted...
Pokemon has never had a badass rival. I have no idea what you're talking about. The closest was Silver, and even he came off like that kid on the playground trying to pretend he's hard, far more pathetic than badass.

He's only about 10 years old- he is a kid on the playground trying to be badass.
---
Official Bulbasaur of the Pokemon X boards.
3 years ago#127
DoctorJimmy133 posted...
ashcrv posted...
ITT: Bein badass means you're an ass to everyone and have no personality.

I just dealt with that. My final moments and people are ignoring me.

Oh, carry on, Marth! Free Altea!

*Gives DoctorJimmy a 1-Up shroom*

I like Hugh, but he... Really isn't a rival. He'd be good if he was one, but the rival has two main jobs: to make you want to beat them, and to make sure you're not spamming your starter. Hugh does neither (unless you chose Serperior), in fact he seems afraid to fight you because he doesn't want to weaken your pokemon in case Team Plasma shows up immediately after and you need to fight them.

Now, Blue definitely made you want to fight him, and his team was also pretty sucessful at preventing spam. The only real way to get past him solo is through massive overlevelling and grinding, or a highly specialized Blastoise.

In order for this to work again, the rival needs his type triangle to be complete, and the second types need to make it harder for your starter to hit them SE, not easier.

Gen4 is probably the worst at this. I mean, Infernape's fighting is SE on Empoleon's steel, Torterra's ground beats Infernape's fire, and Empoleon gets Drill Peck which hits both of them SE. Being able to hold their own against eachother is not balance when their purposes are to make you need something else to beat them. Fire starter vz Water starter should be a no-win situation for the Fire-type, not just another battle.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
3 years ago#128
jamieyello posted...
ashcrv posted...
Sebas27 posted...
What's tsundere?

A chick that acts all tough and stuff but is really soft on the inside.
I think.
Also no. No more angry brats please.

O_o up until now I thought that was a pedo term. What's with all the open pedos??

.....Tsundere chicks(usually) are cute imo. Doesn't mean im a pedo.
---
NaughtyGhost, my fav person on gamefaqs. Props+forever=http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv335/NaughtyGhostGuy/may.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/user/Nerwrax15
3 years ago#129
In any case for me, Cheren is the best rival because he fiddles with the "rival" look of Blue and Silver.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZOdcN.png
We Are XROS HEART!
3 years ago#130
Kyle1022 posted...
I'm obviously talking about badass relative to Pokemon games. In the real world they would be whiny and bratty. But you're really gonna tell me you prefer the boy/girl who never even fully evolved their starter, the annoying timid boy with a Ralts, the kid with ADHD, and some ditz, over Blue and Silver? Lol

Yes, that's what I'm telling you.
---
"Life's a game. It's meant to be played."
"Amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic."
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Can we please go back to having a badass rival?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived