This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can we please go back to having a badass rival?

#131tsunamisurfer08Posted 2/17/2013 3:26:50 PM(edited)
Czar_Yoshi posted...
I like Hugh, but he... Really isn't a rival. He'd be good if he was one, but the rival has two main jobs: to make you want to beat them, and to make sure you're not spamming your starter. Hugh does neither (unless you chose Serperior), in fact he seems afraid to fight you because he doesn't want to weaken your pokemon in case Team Plasma shows up immediately after and you need to fight them.

Now, Blue definitely made you want to fight him, and his team was also pretty sucessful at preventing spam. The only real way to get past him solo is through massive overlevelling and grinding, or a highly specialized Blastoise.

In order for this to work again, the rival needs his type triangle to be complete, and the second types need to make it harder for your starter to hit them SE, not easier.

Gen4 is probably the worst at this. I mean, Infernape's fighting is SE on Empoleon's steel, Torterra's ground beats Infernape's fire, and Empoleon gets Drill Peck which hits both of them SE. Being able to hold their own against eachother is not balance when their purposes are to make you need something else to beat them. Fire starter vz Water starter should be a no-win situation for the Fire-type, not just another battle.

Because TMs don't exist. With the exception of maybe Venusaur vs Charizard, I'm pretty sure every starter can learn something that makes them good against the starter they're weak to. And even then, technically Hidden Power.

Johnny Eagle posted...
Kyle1022 posted...
I'm obviously talking about badass relative to Pokemon games. In the real world they would be whiny and bratty. But you're really gonna tell me you prefer the boy/girl who never even fully evolved their starter, the annoying timid boy with a Ralts, the kid with ADHD, and some ditz, over Blue and Silver? Lol

Yes, that's what I'm telling you.

People around here sure love answering their own questions.
---
However history remembers me, it shall only remember a fraction of the truth.
#132Kyle1022(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 6:50:55 PM
Johnny Eagle posted...
Yes, that's what I'm telling you.

Well, there's no hope left for you. I'm sorry.
#133snuffles504Posted 2/18/2013 7:02:40 AM
tsunamisurfer08 posted...
Because TMs don't exist. With the exception of maybe Venusaur vs Charizard, I'm pretty sure every starter can learn something that makes them good against the starter they're weak to. And even then, technically Hidden Power.

That's not the point. The point is that in Gen 4, the only starter final evolution that doesn't have super-effective STAB on the other two is Empoleon.
---
....because shutup.
R - Hyuck hyuck hyuck!