This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

More X and Y theories...

#1TuckersBodyPosted 2/16/2013 4:40:05 AM
Okay, so here's what I think is going down with this 'evolution' in Pokemon.

GameFreak has been playing with gender-based evolutions since Gen I (the Nidoran evolutions), and has been building on that since. Gen IV gave us different appearances based on gender (heart tailed female Pikachu, etc.), and then gender-based deviations in evolutionary lines in Gen V (Gardevoir and Gallade, etc.). Not only have we seen the importance on gender expand pretty steadily throughout the generations, they've also shown us some play with genetics (first with Eevee and it's evolutions based on environment, and then even further with the splicer that was used in Gen V). SO, it would make sense that Gen VI would use not only their interest in gender-based evolution, but also the genetics of Pokemon.
With Sylveon recently announced, a lot of people are arguing types, whether it be a new one or an already existent one. But maybe we're missing the whole point. The games are named X and Y, after the chromosomal deciding factor of gender. When we were given Espeon and Umbreon, it was because the Dark type was being released, and it needed a balancing counterpart. So perhaps the focus this time isn't on type, but on gender. Sylveon is obviously effeminate, which could mean that to evolve it you need a female Eevee and a similar sort of splicing machine. The second new Eeveelution could then be male, and require a male Eevee and the splicing technology.
Now, to play on this idea further, let's look at starters. All of the starters since Gen I (excluding Chikorita and, imo, Snivy) have been pretty obviously male. Which makes sense because of the male-to-female ratio.
Now imagine this : those who choose to play X will increase the likelihood of obtaining a female starter, perhaps switching the ratio so that it's almost certain that you'll get the female rather than the male. Those who choose to play Y will maintain the same ratio, receiving a male starter without much chance of getting a female. The evolution lines change depending on which gender you receive, a more feminine appearance for the X player and a more masculine look for the Y player. And it doesn't end there! As with all games, the Pokemon you encounter will vary based on the chosen game, so certain Pokemon that evolve based on gender will appear in it's respective chromosome-named game.

Opinions?
#2ElectricNovaPosted 2/16/2013 4:43:06 AM
Ouch. That wall of text just smashed into my face.

Anyway, the genetics theme does seem likely for this game and I could see how that could lead to gender based evoloutions, even if it's all speculation at this point.
---
Official Rayquaza of the Pokemon X and Y boards
I like a lot of things. Like Pokemon. And Sonic. And Kirby. And Smash bros. And Coca cola.
#3TuckersBody(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 4:46:21 AM
Oh, sorry, I'm new here, are long posts frowned upon? Lol.
#4DoctorJimmy133Posted 2/16/2013 4:51:31 AM
TuckersBody posted...

I don't think so, but if you put two spaces between your paragraphs it will make them look less intimidating.

As to gender, I think genetics could play a major role, and gender likely will see some expansion too, but I don't think that they're going to make one game "female" and the other "male." If the kiddies find out, Y will double X's sales.

I like your split-evolution starter idea, though. I'd rather they balance the starter gender ratio this time around.
---
Why do I have to move with the crowd of kids that hardly notice I'm around? I work myself to death just to fit in.
#5djdeejPosted 2/16/2013 5:42:00 AM
TuckersBody posted...

Yes. You'll get a few posters calling out "teal deer" if you don't break down your wall of texts, especially those like me, where it is currently 6:40 AM and you've been up all night since you can't sleep. Text like that hurts my eyes just looking at it.
---
But I play on PVP servers for the sole purpose of the STV levels. Damn place is like Vietnam. - Xilnold
#6xyzlacticPosted 2/16/2013 5:46:43 AM
i like the genetic idea! but then X will lose sales because Little boys dont want a girls game. yes little dumb boys will complain if they found out X has mostly female pokemon. :(
---
Homosexual Hipster of Smash Bros and Pokemon X and Y boards. G.A.Y = Good At Yugioh
#7ElectricNovaPosted 2/16/2013 5:47:41 AM
Sorry if I sounded like a bit of a douche there, I didn't intend that. I was just pointing out that the text was clumped a bit close together.

Yeah, sorry bout that if I sounded like that
---
Official Rayquaza of the Pokemon X and Y boards
I like a lot of things. Like Pokemon. And Sonic. And Kirby. And Smash bros. And Coca cola.
#8zurcnPosted 2/16/2013 7:57:58 AM(edited)
stopped reading where you claim gallade is a gen V pokemon
--

edit: finished reading it
have nothing against gender differences on starters
very much doubt gender proportion changes based on version
---
Don't worry about it. I laugh automatically whenever I hold sharp objects. - Machi - Nagasarete Airantou
http://youtu.be/iTJtTiQYlNU
#9TuckersBody(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 10:54:24 AM
zurcn posted...
stopped reading where you claim gallade is a gen V pokemon

Oh, yeah. PokeFoul. It was like 5 am and I hadn't slept. Forgive the faux pas.
#10SarojPollardPosted 2/16/2013 11:00:14 AM
I wouldn't mind this at all, kinda like it, it would be a change for eevee
---
Your no match for my ALLSTAR STARTER pokemon (-o-)