This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sylveon: Different male/female features?

#41Twilight_SonataPosted 2/17/2013 3:03:47 PM(edited)
TaticalWarrior posted...
You can't be serious. You need to stretch it to think it is a heart...

They do it in the show itself. Pikachu + Heart taped onto tail = Female Pikachu.

TaticalWarrior posted...
German name is fairy. Japanese name is a fairy creature. So Sylveon stands for Sylph or Sylvean? Most likely, Sylph, because Sylva, Sylvan and the like are mostly related with forest, and wood.

*facepalm*
No, definitely Sylvan because Sylvan is itself associated with Nymphs and Faeries and other woodland fey. Plus, you don't have to misspell it. If you don't understand that about the word Sylvan, then you are not very literate in English, which is understandable because you said it was a second language for you anyway. Thinking its Sylph is just a stretch to try to make the Flying-type theories fit. There's nothing more indicating that Sylveon is based on a sylph than there is that it's based on a sprite or elf.

Lopunny isn't a gimmick pokemon, either. If they wanted to use the gender as a gimmick, they would do something to focus on it, like Nidoran male and female. The same idea is the possibility of Sylveon.

There's nothing to indicate that Sylveon will display such a gimmick either.

So, you suggest that a better way to represent a female and male pokemon are to stick a p and a v on them?

No, I'm suggesting that a better way to represent male and female Pokemon is to either do it big or not do it at all.

Also, why can't a male Sylveon be pink as well, but with different ribbons?

Why can't a male Sylveon be pink as well, but with the same ribbons?

The parts of your posts that I didn't respond to were either irrelevant or rude.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#42ShinySephirothPosted 2/17/2013 3:53:50 PM
Maybe they will reboot old Pokemon like Machop and give them split evos like Nidoran. *shrug* It's just a game and I wouldn't put it pass them to try this.
---
http://requiempkm.blogvie.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0WboachQs
#43TaticalWarriorPosted 2/17/2013 4:24:30 PM

They do it in the show itself. Pikachu + Heart taped onto tail = Female Pikachu.

I think you are blowing this out of proportion.

*facepalm*
No, definitely Sylvan because Sylvan is itself associated with Nymphs and Faeries and other woodland fey. Plus, you don't have to misspell it. If you don't understand that about the word Sylvan, then you are not very literate in English, which is understandable because you said it was a second language for you anyway. Thinking its Sylph is just a stretch to try to make the Flying-type theories fit. There's nothing more indicating that Sylveon is based on a sylph than there is that it's based on a sprite or elf.

I am not mispelling it, only mentioning the name and its variations, including the original latin ones. But looks like you are refusing to look into the meanings of the very own English language. Nymph is used in the English as a word to describe females. Sylvan is used as a word to describe things from wood, woody, or made from wood and trees. Its meaning is not present only in the English language. Sylvan is not a term used to describe elfs or sprites. The only link besides wood, is that sylvan is a spirit of WOOD. Is Sylveon more likely to make a referene to wood or wood spirits or fairies as a Sylph? Frankly...

There's nothing to indicate that Sylveon will display such a gimmick either.

No one is arguing that. TC only suggested it. You already missed the whole point of this topic.

No, I'm suggesting that a better way to represent male and female Pokemon is to either do it big or not do it at all.

Look out. Opinions!

Why can't a male Sylveon be pink as well, but with the same ribbons?

Because it would be a clone.

The parts of your posts that I didn't respond to were either irrelevant or rude.

Really? I guess this argument is over then. Batlantly ignoring points and being offended by things that aren't offensive is when one argument becomes pointless.
---
Proud designer of Chip, the Runner Up Megaman Legends 3's Mascot Contest!
http://tinyurl.com/3r6wb4u
#44Twilight_SonataPosted 2/17/2013 5:18:39 PM
TaticalWarrior posted...
I am not mispelling it.

The only way to put "Sylph" into "Sylveon" is to misspell it with a V rather than a PH.

Sylvan is not a term used to describe elfs or sprites.

You are very, very wrong. Faeries, nymphs, elves, sprites, and other mythological woodland fey are indeed commonly referred to as sylvan beings.

No one is arguing that. TC only suggested it.

And it's a bad suggestion.

Look out. Opinions!

Some opinions are better than others.

Because it would be a clone.

Just like the other eeveelutions? Oh, no! How terrible!
---
#45TaticalWarriorPosted 2/17/2013 5:57:39 PM
The only way to put "Sylph" into "Sylveon" is to misspell it with a V rather than a PH.

So by this logic, Umbreon doesn't makes a reference to "Umbra", that means darkness. Because, you know, it is missing a letter. Pokemon is full of corrupted names. How do you spell Nymph? With Ph? Too bad, the Japanese name is Ninfeon. So it must be something about a ninf, isn't it? Of course not.

You are very, very wrong. Faeries, nymphs, elves, sprites, and other mythological woodland fey are indeed commonly referred to as sylvan beings.

Sylvan are spirits of wood, and the other meaning is to reference wood. Sylveon doesn't looks like a pokemon that will represent a forest or wild life. Use common sense a little.

And it's a bad suggestion.

Nothing wrong with it.

Some opinions are better than others.

ahahahahahno.

Just like the other eeveelutions? Oh, no! How terrible!

Any evolution that copies the exact color AND characteristics? No. There is zero sense to make a male Sylveon that is pink AND has the EXACT same freaking ribbons. It would be the same freaking design.
---
#46Twilight_SonataPosted 2/17/2013 6:28:34 PM(edited)
TaticalWarrior posted...
So by this logic, Umbreon doesn't makes a reference to "Umbra", that means darkness. Because, you know, it is missing a letter. Pokemon is full of corrupted names. How do you spell Nymph? With Ph? Too bad, the Japanese name is Ninfeon.

Incompletion =/= Misspelling. It's not like it's spelled "Unbreon" or something.
Also, I'm pretty darn sure Ninfia isn't spelled with either an F or a PH in Japanese, because Japanese doesn't use Latin script. The forms of the Japanese names that we see in Latin script are the purely phonetic versions, so of course it's displayed as F rather than PH.

Sylvan are spirits of wood

No, they are "spirits" (in the broadest possible sense that would include fey such as faeries and nymphs) of the woods, as in residing in the woodlands, not literally themselves of wooden material. This is the sort of misunderstanding that can happen when all you do is quickly scan a Wikipedia article.

Nothing wrong with it.

Except for the whole thing where its born out of an expectation or insistence that damaging gender stereotypes be perpetuated.

ahahahahahno.

The only people who believe otherwise are those still in elementary school, because that "All opinions are equally valid" B.S. is just something they tell kids to get them to shut up. Grown ups in the real world realize that some opinions are better than others.

Any evolution that copies the exact color AND characteristics? No. There is zero sense to make a male Sylveon that is pink AND has the EXACT same freaking ribbons. It would be the same freaking design.

WTF are you talking about? A male Jolteon and female Jolteon share the EXACT same freaking design. A male Espeon and a female Espeon share the EXACT same freaking design. A male Glaceon and a female Glaceon share the EXACT same freaking design. Why shouldn't a male Sylveon and a female Sylveon share the EXACT same freaking design?
---
#47wind64aPosted 2/17/2013 6:49:40 PM
Rose_Mage posted...
Sylveon will be the most fabulous male Eeveelution ever and I'll name mine Wallace.

Darn you Wallace...that actually works. I guess I'll have to nickname mine Tucker then.
---
Badge Case [Time Badge]
StrifeHart is my OTP. services performed at BSC: 2 Riley's Boyfriend on the Pokemon BW2 & X boards. W2 FC: 3783 7001 3142
#48TaticalWarriorPosted 2/17/2013 10:18:36 PM
Incompletion =/= Misspelling. It's not like it's spelled "Unbreon" or something.
Also, I'm pretty darn sure Ninfia isn't spelled with either an F or a PH in Japanese, because Japanese doesn't use Latin script. The forms of the Japanese names that we see in Latin script are the purely phonetic versions, so of course it's displayed as F rather than PH.
No, they are "spirits" (in the broadest possible sense that would include fey such as faeries and nymphs) of the woods, as in residing in the woodlands, not literally themselves of wooden material. This is the sort of misunderstanding that can happen when all you do is quickly scan a Wikipedia article.

This is if it stands for sylvan and not sylph. EVEN if it would stand for "sylvan", there is nothing suggesting that it can't be female only. And i understood already. You made a quick search on google to start one argument.
Oh, wow, when it doesn't refers to wood and the ones that lives on the woods, it know as a term to describe females. Considering that the Japanese name refers to a nymph... No. It must be impossible that it is a female reference. No way, a-am.

Except for the whole thing where its born out of an expectation or insistence that damaging gender stereotypes be perpetuated.

Out of proportion. There is nothing suggesting that a male Sylvean would be a male stereotype.

The only people who believe otherwise are those still in elementary school, because that "All opinions are equally valid" B.S. is just something they tell kids to get them to shut up. Grown ups in the real world realize that some opinions are better than others.

Because people are quick to judge an opinion based on their ideals and stantards. This is the epitome of believing that one is superior to another, when things aren't really the case.

WTF are you talking about? A male Jolteon and female Jolteon share the EXACT same freaking design. A male Espeon and a female Espeon share the EXACT same freaking design. A male Glaceon and a female Glaceon share the EXACT same freaking design. Why shouldn't a male Sylveon and a female Sylveon share the EXACT same freaking design?
Because the referenced "male sylveon" actually stands for "ANOTHER eevolution, that is a counterpart of Sylveon", not a simple genre diference.
---
#49Twilight_SonataPosted 2/17/2013 10:34:33 PM
TaticalWarrior posted...
This is if it stands for sylvan and not sylph.
I'm just going to put it this way: The evidence that it is derived from "Sylvan" is overwhelming. The evidence that it is derived from "Sylph" can be charitably described as lacking.

EVEN if it would stand for "sylvan", there is nothing suggesting that it can't be female only.
Not saying that. What I'm saying is that there's no good reason to believe that it will be female only.

You made a quick search on google to start one argument.
Yes, that was a very good attempt to copy the burn that I just delivered to you, but for one of those to work it has to actually make sense.

Oh, wow, when it doesn't refers to wood and the ones that lives on the woods, it know as a term to describe females.
You think that all woodland fey are female? You would be mistaken.

There is nothing suggesting that a male Sylvean would be a male stereotype.
You're kind of just continuing to demonstrate your misunderstanding of the issue.

Because the referenced "male sylveon" actually stands for "ANOTHER eevolution, that is a counterpart of Sylveon", not a simple genre diference.
Sounds like you should have made yourself more clear.
---
#50TaticalWarriorPosted 2/18/2013 7:19:26 AM
I'm just going to put it this way: The evidence that it is derived from "Sylvan" is overwhelming. The evidence that it is derived from "Sylph" can be charitably described as lacking.

The same goes for Sylph, if you actually see the context instead of b****** about it.

Not saying that. What I'm saying is that there's no good reason to believe that it will be female only.

It just means that TC's idea is possible, and nothing more than that. Hence why your overacted about something silly.

Yes, that was a very good attempt to copy the burn that I just delivered to you, but for one of those to work it has to actually make sense.

Wow, I sure will need BURN HEAL because that was strong! "lol I made a burn on you". Too bad it wasn't very effective, sorry.

You think that all woodland fey are female? You would be mistaken.

You are just batlantly ignoring what Sylvan stands for in the English language and other ones. You just don't want to see it.

You're kind of just continuing to demonstrate your misunderstanding of the issue.

Because having a male pokemon and a female would totally make a stereotype. Even if the male one doesn't needs to be blue and have a moustache. YOU are forcing yourself to believe it would be a stereotype. The whole base for ths thought isn't even because Sylveon is pink and has ribbons, it is mostly because there are female references in the name. Hypocrite.

Sounds like you should have made yourself more clear.

Sounds like you should have read the topic.
---