This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Early game gym leaders don't make sense!

#1FrankulaPosted 2/18/2013 12:50:57 PM
Why are all of their pokemon such low level? Sure it makes sense in game theory: So the player can beat them. But it doesn't make sense that these trainers with their weak ass pokemon would be gym leaders. I want all of the gym leaders to have respectably leveled pokemon.

They could do this by making all of the early game content revolve around taking down the evil organization (whose grunts have low leveled pokes.) Then by the time you defeat them you have your pokemon leveled high enough to start challenging some of the gym leaders.
---
Now i know why they call it salt, it's so di YUM
#2FuneralCakePosted 2/18/2013 12:53:15 PM
Frankula posted...
Sure it makes sense in game theory: So the player can beat them.

And that's really all that should matter.
---
STOP CALLING ME HOME ROWED
http://i.minus.com/ib1uFDGNC2IrTo.gif
#3Cheesepower5Posted 2/18/2013 12:53:16 PM
They're using their weakest Pokemon because they know they're up against a weaker trainer. It's a test of skill, not power.
---
Official Naga Raja of the SMT IV board.
Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
#4MetaFalconPunchPosted 2/18/2013 12:53:22 PM
They just use low level mons when fighting trainers with that level.

Against harder trainers, they'd use higer level mons (as shown by the Kanto region in G/S/C/HG/SS)
---
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead. Official Jolteon of the Pokemon X Board. Kraid: (steps on you)
#5javel34Posted 2/18/2013 12:53:38 PM
Cheren said something along the lines that he was given the pokemon he uses.
#6Chandler014Posted 2/18/2013 12:54:09 PM
I've Always Thought that they Use their Weakest Pokemon for new Trainers, and Use More Powerful Pokemon When Facing Trainers with more badges. give the Rookie a Chance at least.
---
Official Miror Admin Of Shadows.
Shadow Pokemon: Tyranitar
#7M4nnimalPosted 2/18/2013 12:54:23 PM
Cheren is a good example of them using low-leveled Pokemon on purpose. He has a really high-level team, but used two crap Pokes to fight you. Probably to serve as some sort of teaching exercise.
---
"We thirsted for thunderbolts and great deeds."
#8Frankula(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 12:56:19 PM
Cheesepower5 posted...
They're using their weakest Pokemon because they know they're up against a weaker trainer. It's a test of skill, not power.

That's all fine and good, but they are never proven to HAVE higher level pokemon. If you were to skip a gym then come back when your pokemon are higher level they would use the same low leveled crap.

You guys fear change too much. This would be a very minimal change but just the fact that its different at all has you all clambering to defend the old ways.
---
#9sumweeabooPosted 2/18/2013 12:56:39 PM
It would be cool if the Gym fights weren't a part of the story and entirely optional. Maybe set them for later so that you could do them whenever felt like you wanted to fight them and have them to be actually challenging, while not being too OP.
---
---
#10Frankula(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 12:57:39 PM
sumweeaboo posted...
It would be cool if the Gym fights weren't a part of the story and entirely optional. Maybe set them for later so that you could do them whenever felt like you wanted to fight them and have them to be actually challenging, while not being too OP.

Exactly! Finally someone I can see eye to eye with!
---