This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Early game gym leaders don't make sense!

#51RuwalkPosted 2/18/2013 2:50:59 PM
I honestly think both sides of the argument are taking this WAY too literally.

From a story standpoint, and PURELY A STORY standpoint, the idea that the leaders have different teams of pokemon to use depending on the level of the trainer isn't a crazy one. It has actually been mentioned in game at least once in most of the games. As far as rematches go such as the PWT, I'm noticing TC keeps saying that "it only makes sense the leaders raised their pokemon up for the rematch." You don't have any proof that those were the same pokemon they used previously, just like we don't have any proof that this whole idea of multiple teams is valid. So honestly, no point in constantly making that argument.

Now, from the GAMEPLAY perspective, the reason the gyms are structured as they are is to provide a benchmark for players. To give short term goals that eventually lead to the beating of the game. To accomplish beating the gyms, you're encouraged to explore the world and find more pokemon. If you're going to introduce something else (which trust me, I agree that the gym gauntlet is getting a little old), then you need something else to drive the player to level up that also makes sense, while keeping that drive to explore.

Making defeating the evil team is indeed a viable option that could be done, however what would be there to account for the weaker trainers that are starting out that aren't your avatar? And not only that, but in fighting the evil team you're still going to face grunts that have weak pokemon to help get you going, so in reality it's THE EXACT SAME as the gym gauntlet, just with a different coat of paint on it.

Now what they could do, to make both the story idea of gyms having different pokemon to use depending on trainer level and still make sense with the game's mechanics would be to actually start providing different teams whose levels would scale with the player's pokemon levels. For example, if the strongest pokemon on your team is level 39, then the gym's strongest pokemon would be level 42 regardless of what gym it was. That kind of scaling isn't difficult to code at all. I can do it with text based games that don't even really require numbers to code. A professional company like Gamefreak could make it happen without a problem.
#52squdgyPosted 2/18/2013 2:56:33 PM
I hope you're a troll, because otherwise you're making a complete fool of yourself, and I feel bad for you.
---
http://i.imgur.com/5FB9XOJ.gif
#53ShiningRegicePosted 2/18/2013 2:57:45 PM
Ruwalk posted...
I honestly think both sides of the argument are taking this WAY too literally.

From a story standpoint, and PURELY A STORY standpoint, the idea that the leaders have different teams of pokemon to use depending on the level of the trainer isn't a crazy one. It has actually been mentioned in game at least once in most of the games. As far as rematches go such as the PWT, I'm noticing TC keeps saying that "it only makes sense the leaders raised their pokemon up for the rematch." You don't have any proof that those were the same pokemon they used previously, just like we don't have any proof that this whole idea of multiple teams is valid. So honestly, no point in constantly making that argument.

Now, from the GAMEPLAY perspective, the reason the gyms are structured as they are is to provide a benchmark for players. To give short term goals that eventually lead to the beating of the game. To accomplish beating the gyms, you're encouraged to explore the world and find more pokemon. If you're going to introduce something else (which trust me, I agree that the gym gauntlet is getting a little old), then you need something else to drive the player to level up that also makes sense, while keeping that drive to explore.

Making defeating the evil team is indeed a viable option that could be done, however what would be there to account for the weaker trainers that are starting out that aren't your avatar? And not only that, but in fighting the evil team you're still going to face grunts that have weak pokemon to help get you going, so in reality it's THE EXACT SAME as the gym gauntlet, just with a different coat of paint on it.

Now what they could do, to make both the story idea of gyms having different pokemon to use depending on trainer level and still make sense with the game's mechanics would be to actually start providing different teams whose levels would scale with the player's pokemon levels. For example, if the strongest pokemon on your team is level 39, then the gym's strongest pokemon would be level 42 regardless of what gym it was. That kind of scaling isn't difficult to code at all. I can do it with text based games that don't even really require numbers to code. A professional company like Gamefreak could make it happen without a problem.

The last paragraph idea is a good one! Really, makes it a challange...
---
W2 FC: 0261 8506 3044
#54iKhanicPosted 2/18/2013 2:59:40 PM
Tell me something, have you ever played an RPG where the increase in level among enemies and bosses makes sense??? Xenoblade tried to fix it a little bit by saying monsters get stronger as you get further from Colony 9, but it still doesn't explain how Metal Face's level was so low when you first fought him.

Same applies to pokemon or any RPG with levels for that matter
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#55pokemonfreak97Posted 2/18/2013 3:03:01 PM
lilaschildkrote posted...
Well lance is a hacker with his dragonites that aren't even level 55.

Actually legal as of Gen V.

Barrier is still a mystery, though.

Maybe it comes from wherever you get Earthquake Lanturn?
---
Which is more mature: playing a game where you can shoot people or seeing those games and deciding not to play them?
Yes, I formerly had a Pokemon Gen VI sig.