This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The truth about Sylveon (evidence and sociological perspectives included)

#1YellowcoatUnit1Posted 2/18/2013 3:36:05 PM(edited)
Introduction

The reason why Game Freak is intentionally keeping Sylveon's typing a secret... is here.

You see, Sylveon's characteristics vary depending on its gender: female, male, or genderqueer (not falling into either of the binary categories). This is to demonstrate Eevee's ability to not only adapt to different types of element, but also its ability to change in a way that maximizes it reproductive potential.

So why keep this a secret? Well, firstly, there's no question that a notion of a dual-typed Eeveelution would shock Pokemon fans worldwide. Secondly, a gender-based evolution has yet to be introduced to the Eevee line. Thirdly, the inclusion of a "genderqueer" gender would certainly surprise people.

So what exactly are Sylveon's typings?

Female: Fairy/Flying

* Fairy explanation: Sylveon looks like a mythical creature with its graceful and delicate appearance (light color scheme and shiny eyes). "Sylv" also comes from "Sylvan". Female Sylveon are part Fairy type because they need to enchant males with their mysterious beauty so that they can be impregnated.

* Flying explanation: Sylveon resembles Skyla (who was inspired by Sylveon's appearance) and has long, flowing appendages that let it move through the air. Sylveon is also the lightest Eeveelution. "Sylv" also comes from "Sylph". Female Sylveon are part Flying type because they can dance elegantly in the air as part of their mating ritual.

Male: Bug/Normal

* Bug explanation: Sylveon has butterfly-shaped bows, antenna-like appendages, glossy blue eyes, and sharp teeth. "Sylv" here comes from Thymelicus sylvestris and "Silver", a reference to Silver Wind, SilverPowder, etc. Male Sylveon are part Bug type because they need to distribute their seeds rapidly and frequently, which most bugs are very much capable of doing.

* Normal explanation: Sylveon has a light, neutral color scheme and no distinctive preference for a particular element. "Sylv" comes from "Sylvia Browne", who makes for a pretty average and mediocre psychic, honestly. Male Sylveon are part Normal type because not only do they need to have a high sex drive, but they also need to remain strong and supportive parent figures in the long run, and Normal gives them the well-roundedness that they need.

Genderqueer: Light

* Light explanation: It would be odd to introduce just one new type (Fairy), so Light accompanies it. And why not have a Pokemon that can demonstrate both? Sylveon has a light color scheme with light blue eyes and a glowing aura. It's also light in terms of weight. "Sylv" here comes from "Microsoft Silverlight". Genderqueer Sylveon are Light type because they shed light on the diversity of gender and sexuality.

Conclusion

So there you have it. While we postulate about Sylveon's true typing, Game Freak laughs at us as well as the people who make angry, overly trite topics about how Light is a bad new type because Dark in Pokemon isn't based on physical darkness and Fighting is actually the true "Light" type in Pokemon.
---
PIKA POWER!
#2FuneralCakePosted 2/18/2013 3:15:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/m7iv6rY.gif
---
STOP CALLING ME HOME ROWED
http://i.minus.com/iq8muBpbUwPVj.gif
#3Twilight_SonataPosted 2/18/2013 3:18:10 PM
Wow, what? No.
Also, you have no idea what sociology is.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#4thisguy12Posted 2/18/2013 3:21:22 PM
YellowcoatUnit1 posted...
Introduction

Female Sylveon are part Fairy type because they need to enchant males with their mysterious beauty so that they can be impregnated.

These theories just get weirder and weirder.

Sylveon is a flying type because:
1. Sylveon is the lightest eeveelution.
2. How bows flutter like wind when she attacks during the gameplay video.
3. Just google sylph

Sylveon could be the first non-legendary pure flying type, thus making her unique.
It's just less complicated.
#5ShiningRegicePosted 2/18/2013 3:29:38 PM
Is this a compilation of all the theorys around? Hehehe my bug theory made it on here xD
---
W2 FC: 0261 8506 3044
#6ShiningRegicePosted 2/18/2013 3:32:45 PM
Sylveon is confirmed to be the LIGHEST eeveelution (Heavier than eevee i think)... This could confirm the fairy flying and bug...
---
#7KeeperOfShadowsPosted 2/18/2013 3:35:03 PM
ShiningRegice posted...
Sylveon is confirmed to be the LIGHEST eeveelution (Heavier than eevee i think)... This could confirm the fairy flying and bug...

Whats weight got to do with type?
---
Feel free to apply sarcasm tags if you didn't like my post.
#8ShiningRegicePosted 2/18/2013 3:38:31 PM
KeeperOfShadows posted...
ShiningRegice posted...

Whats weight got to do with type?

It is a clear observation, so people like to make connections xDDDD
---
#9ShiningRegicePosted 2/18/2013 3:40:13 PM
To be serious, the Thymelicus sylvestris might not be a good connection. I know I made the connection yesterday, but then I was told about sylvan. I think the Thymelicus sylvestris' name might be based on this mythical creature.
---
#10YellowcoatUnit1(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 10:36:20 PM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
Wow, what? No.
Also, you have no idea what sociology is.

Wah you caught me! darn my psychology degree
---
PIKA POWER!