This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This game looks more like a Pokemon Stadium game than a traditional Pokemon

#1ODommPosted 2/19/2013 10:35:11 AM
I recently started playing White after not having play a Pokemon game for 6 years, and I've got to say, I like it a lot more than I thought I would have. The Pokemon design is not horrendous like I thought it would be, all of the Pokemon still feel like Pokemon, and hell, even the story is a little better this time.

When I saw the reveal trailer for this game, sure it looked cool, but something didn't quite tick with me. It is now a 3D style Pokemon game, similar to the console counterparts. This is kind of a turn off for me because I grew up with the 2D games and rarely played the 3D games. Part of the power of Pokemon games was how good Game Freak could make a 2D game look. White gives me the nostalgia of old Pokemon games, while offering a new gen look and feel. I kind of feel like Y throws that away with going full 3D now.

I know, it is an incredibly stupid thing to complain/note, but I'm just saying... I'm worried I won't get the same feel when playing this game. While it looks like it will be visually impressive, I feel like it will fall short of supplying that classic Pokemon feel. Some might say change is good, but I say don't fix it if it isn't broken. If they had made 3D models with a fixed 2D perspective, it might be better.

All that being said, I'm still going to buy the game most likely, and hopefully I'll enjoy it. I'd still like to know what other people think of the 3D change because I know if I'm in this boat, then there have to be other people in the same boat/in between who can possibly sway my opinion.
---
The mind of the subject will desperately struggle to create memories where none exist...
~~WELCOME TO THE GOODIE ROOM~~
#2scrappybristolPosted 2/19/2013 10:38:41 AM
Fans have been asking for a full 3D game for years now.
---
I'm a jukebox hero.
#3ODomm(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 10:39:40 AM
Like I said, I've been out of it for 6 years
---
The mind of the subject will desperately struggle to create memories where none exist...
#4EnferolunosPosted 2/19/2013 10:41:25 AM
There are still outlines
---
Currently awaiting: Pikmin 3, Lunar Knights 2, LM:DM, AC:NL, XY, X, WW HD, LoZ U, LR:FFXIII, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#5ODomm(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 10:45:56 AM
I realize the core mechanics are the same, but I'm just a little apprehensive about the change in style of the game.
Idk, maybe I like the whole sprite thing too much... It helps it retain a classic feel I guess.
---
#6BassMithraPosted 2/19/2013 10:47:34 AM
3D graphics, wheeeee!
---
Xbox 360/PS3 GT: Droski Blizzunt Nintendo ID: Al3xander
Pokemon White 2 FC: 2495 3481 0675
#7shrooboid313Posted 2/19/2013 2:29:20 PM
Full 3D game?

You mean like Colosseum and XD?
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Shrooboid313?feature=mhee
Please check out my YouTube channel.
#8PikaleyPosted 2/19/2013 2:42:51 PM
shrooboid313 posted...
Full 3D game?

You mean like Colosseum and XD?

i would love a handheld game with those kind of graphics, just look at ocarina of time, its def possible =P
---
3ds fc - 4983-5114-5815, Name: Brad
#9ExcaliburOwnerPosted 2/19/2013 3:30:31 PM
That's why I like the cel-shaded graphics. They just keep that Pokemon feel that the sprites made us love alive. Well, for me at least.
---
Played: Pokemon Conquest. Progress: Complete Gallery and cleared all Episodes.
Playing: Pokemon Black 2. Progress: At the start of the game..