This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How to make a Normal-type Eeveelution exciting?

#1Twilight_SonataPosted 2/20/2013 12:13:25 PM
Whenever the idea that Sylveon is Normal-type comes up, there's always somebody who says something to the effect of "But Normal is boring." or "Why would they keep that a secret? It'll just be a disappointment later.". The idea is that Normal typing is and must be boring and not worth keeping secret, so Sylveon cannot and should not be Normal. The tone seems to convey further, though, that a Normal eeveelution just isn't something to get excited about.

The point of this thread is NOT to speculate on Sylveon's typing. I'm not even saying that it will or should be Normal. The point of this is just to show all of the different ways that a Normal eeveelution could still be worth our while and thereby debunk the idea that Sylveon couldn't be Normal specifically because it would be boring or because there would be no point in keeping that concealed for now.

When confronted with the question, I typically suggest that a Normal eeveelution with Multi-Type, Color Change, or Wonder Guard as an ability could be interesting and worth the seemingly boring typing. However, I'd like this thread to be about more than working with past mechanics. After all, we want X and Y to bring us new ideas. So, how about we share ideas on how we could make a Normal eeveelution (whether it's Sylveon or not) cool? Remember, these aren't necessarily supposed to be theories or even speculation, just ideas.

I'll go first.

Super Contests make a comeback, and the first Contest Hall that you come across in your journey is home to an veteran fashionista who wants you to show him "a Pokemon with pretty, pink bows". If you have Sylveon first in your party, he gives your character seventeen bows, each with a design corresponding to a different type. These bows go in your Fashion Case, but unlike other Accessories, they can also be equipped like normal held items, each raising the power of their corresponding type by 20% (similar to a plate).

When equipped by Sylveon, however, these bows have an additional effect. When Sylveon levels up, it has the opportunity to learn moves normally learned at its new level by the eeveelution corresponding in type to the bow that it holds. For example, let's pretend that, at 33rd level, Sylveon normally gets to learn Attract. Well, if it's holding an Electric Bow, then it will also get to learn Thunder Wave (Jolteon's level 33 move). If it's holding a Grass Bow instead, then it will get to learn Synthesis (Leafeon's level 33 move). If it's holding a Normal Bow instead, then it will get to learn Baton Pass (Eevee's level 33 move). And so on, giving Sylveon an extremely wide and diverse move-pool.

But wait! There's more! Sylveon has a new ability that makes its wide, diverse movepool even more potent:
Anything But: Pokemon with this ability gain STAB on all attack moves, regardless of type.

With the capacity to learn so many different moves and the ability to use all of those moves to their fullest potential, it's no wonder that Gamefreak would decide to keep Sylveon's typing a secret. Revealing its typing so soon would make it appear underwhelming, because what really makes Sylveon special is the unique mechanics available to it completely outside of its typing, and we're just not at a stage yet where any such new mechanics are ready to be revealed.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#2SuperAfroBoyPosted 2/20/2013 12:14:14 PM
tl;dr
---
I had a vasectomy.
#3SR71haloPosted 2/20/2013 12:14:43 PM
SuperAfroBoy posted...
tl;dr

---
Now Leave!
#4Ultimate_Nova_XPosted 2/20/2013 12:15:04 PM
SR71halo posted...
SuperAfroBoy posted...
tl;dr

---
-User Name Origin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO_5esMq2kE#t=56s
"Japanese Wii U. American Wii U. The future is yours, Xenoblade U."
#5darkdragongirlPosted 2/20/2013 12:16:03 PM
DELELELE WHOOP
---
DELELELE WHOOP!!
#6AlI_About_The_UPosted 2/20/2013 12:22:12 PM
I love the Normal type. The typing itself is unremarkable, but a lot of neat Pokemon have come out of it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/PqS9Duf.jpg
#7CakeOfLiesPosted 2/20/2013 12:22:31 PM
Ultimate_Nova_X posted...
SR71halo posted...
SuperAfroBoy posted...
tl;dr

---
"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope." -HK-47
#8TheoryGentPosted 2/20/2013 12:37:14 PM
I like the idea of a normal type eeveelution having a wide-array of moves to choose from, but I dislike it having STAB for anything.(Maybe it would have STAB for the type depending on the bow it equips, ex. yellow bow gives Ninfia STAB for Electric attacks).

Other ideas: Have the normal type eeveelution learn an exclusive move that changes type depending on the bow equiped. So if N-eeveelution has yellow bow, it exclusive move is now electric type. Also have N-eeveelution have STAB with that move, regardless of type, and Normal attacks. I like the idea of N-eeveelution having STAB for one other type move, but not for all other all type moves. Also, make the bows based on the eevee collection of the player (show an NPC a type of eevee and they will give you the corresponding bow).

Another Idea: Making two normal type eeveelution that are a gender-pair, one female and one male and make their move pool super diverse baesd on eeveelutions. Male could learn Flareon, Jolteon, Leafeon, and Umbreon's move while female learns the other eeveelutions moves so switch it around.
#9Skyward_SneaselPosted 2/20/2013 12:46:13 PM(edited)
I really like your idea! It actually made me want a normal Eeveelution, although it does seem a bit OP. STAB on every move?

Edit: Another thought, a signature move. The move is normal type, but does 2x damage to types which resist the type of the bow being held.
---
Ash Ketchum is a Timelord; he never ages!! That or a vampire...
Official Umbreon of the Eevee Corps *Evil Laugh*
#10Missingno_MastrPosted 2/20/2013 12:42:57 PM
This is a good idea. I approve of it very much.
---
http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/groups/weezing-alliance/pictures/59420-1.PNG