This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

For those who played Pokemon before Gen 2 came out

#51_The_Blode_Posted 2/22/2013 5:46:55 PM
The only thing I was apprehensive about was a screenshot they had in Nintendo power of charizard, and it looked so cartoony and stupid.

I found out it was just some poor animating in the intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9LbQgkTtWPc#t=45s
---
Level 3 Moderation Rejector - 4 Overturned
Next Lvl: [llllll____] (1/3)
#52tsunamisurfer08Posted 2/22/2013 5:55:13 PM(edited)
I should also add that Gold, Silver, and Crystal left me extremely disappointed. Kanto got so hyped because two regions were on one game, that when I finally reached it and realized how empty it was compared to in RBY I felt ripped off.
---
However history remembers me, it shall only remember a fraction of the truth.
#53ThepowerofpikaPosted 2/22/2013 5:54:22 PM
I remember being very excited about it. Unfortunately I got so excited about it from a magazine that I actually expected more than it delivered so I ended up being very very disappointing in it.

Plus I didn't like much of the "new" Pokemon at the time so I ended up falling back on 1st gen Pokemon since they looked and felt better to me. I was a huge genwunner for quite some time as a result.

4th gen was the first gen for me to exceed expectations and the 2nd gen Pokemon started to grow on me there mainly because they gave evolutions to Pokemon like Gligar and Yanma which fixed some issues I had with the 2nd gen Pokemon.
---
I've decided to go retro for now.
#54tsunamisurfer08Posted 2/22/2013 5:57:32 PM
Thepowerofpika posted...
Plus I didn't like much of the "new" Pokemon at the time so I ended up falling back on 1st gen Pokemon since they looked and felt better to me. I was a huge genwunner for quite some time as a result.

Most of them weren't that great. I did like Lanturn, Skarmory, and Houndoom though.

I will give a mention to Feraligatr though since HG/SS had the physical/special split. It turned into quite the monster. Plus isn't its DW ability Sheer Force?
---
However history remembers me, it shall only remember a fraction of the truth.
#55OhHeyltsYouPosted 2/22/2013 5:59:11 PM
I didn't even play Gen 2 when it came out. I went from Gen 1 to Gen 3.

I got a PS1 between the time of Gen 1 and Gen 2. I was really obsessed with Final Fantasy and kinda moved on from Pokemon. But when Gen.3 came out I got back into it. Then I stopped playing Pokemon again once I got a PS2 and I didn't really play again until 2007 when I got the urge to pick up a DS and Diamond. Haven't stopped since.
---
PSN: NaturaIBorn
#56Ampharos64Posted 2/22/2013 6:02:40 PM
I was just crazy excited for it, and that hasn't really changed with each new gen, except the third. With the second, I knew I'd still be able to use all my Pokemon from Blue in it, so there didn't feel any need to worry about the change, and Kanto was even still there, too (though it did feel kind of a mixture of sad and happy to go back to it and see how it'd changed. Well, nostalgic, I guess). I poured over the pictures of the new Pokemon in my magazine for ages and tried to learn all their names (resulting in me knowing them by their Japanese names for a long time), worked on deciding on my team, memorised the weaknesses and effectiveness of the new types, read about all the new mechanics. I'd always been really interested by the idea of breeding and showing animals (hope to breed chinchillas someday), so I was especially curious to see the breeding feature and how egg moves worked and everything. It's still one of my favourite aspects of the games today, and what I spend the most time on.

I usually absolutely hate change, too. XD
#57NeoSamuelPosted 2/22/2013 6:05:45 PM
My first Pokemon game was Pokemon Blue, it was also the first game I beaten.
---
Im Black Mage. I cast spells that make people fall down.
#58gullgullgullPosted 2/22/2013 6:09:42 PM
No, because I was too busy thinking "Holy **** more pokemon AND a new region" and then after actually playing it "OH MY GOD THE OLD REGION TOO AND THE GYM LEADERS AND AND AND 16 BADGES THIS IS LIKE 2 GAMES AND IT NEVER ENDS".

You know, like a normal kid.

I wasn't old enough to have developed that ****ed up personality so many people on the internet seem to have where any change to anything is viewed as a personal insult and a war on everything you love.

Then again I'm 24 now and still don't have it, wow!
#59FlameKishinPosted 2/22/2013 6:09:43 PM
I wasn't apprehensive, I was like "Yay, more Pokemon". There was also a rumor around my school of a "Pikablue", so I was hoping to find it in the new game.
#60umbra_fuhrerPosted 2/22/2013 6:10:58 PM
For me, it was like Christmas where everything you get was exactly what you wanted and more.

Its funny. I was just thinking about this on my way to work this very morning. When Gen 2 came out, it was magical. New pokemon past 151? New gyms? New types?! I was in awe of it.

When gen 3 came out though, thats when I was a little more hesitant to the new stuff like the original post says.

Part of the reason why is because Gen 2 was the first....expansion of Pokemon we got. Then, it was ok to add new types and stuff. Now adays though, after 4 gens with no new typings, adding a new type would be....I dont know. Stupid I guess? It would seem like they were trying to hard to do new things. We've had this many types for a good long while now. Adding anything different just would be weird. First gen we hadnt had the types for such a long time that new types were un heard of.

I was only ever hesitant of new Pokemon in gen 3. I thought "This is never gonna end, is it?" By Gen 4, I was quite happy that it was continuing on though.

PS. Not quite happy with the new Eeveelution. It just looks weird. Like, its lacking some sort of similar design all the other eeveelutions had so it doesnt even look like it SHOULD evolve from Eevee.