This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D: Is this the generation where Ice finally stops being crap?

#11LenneValkiryePosted 2/27/2013 7:09:33 AM(edited)
Ice was never crap.
It was a misused type until gen 4 where they finally started to give us offensive ice types.
And now we have a beast in the form of Kyurem-W as well as OU powerhouses like Cloyster, Mamoswine, Kyurem-B, normal Kyurem and even Weavile.

They could use a hail boost and a freeze inducing move, but ice types are extremely dangerous if you play them right (protip: stop playing defensively with them).
#12The_Sol_BladerPosted 2/27/2013 7:09:16 AM
How the hell would we know
---
R - Official Matador of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
http://oi47.tinypic.com/24bup9d.jpg
#13Skull_proPosted 2/27/2013 7:13:31 AM
lazycomplife posted...
Ice is one of my favorite types :)
I hope we get a few cool ice pokemon.

I dont think so, but we will get hot fire pokemon.
---
Married to Clay, Driftveil city's gym leader
Official Roserade of the Pokemon X/Y boards
#14LenneValkiryePosted 2/27/2013 7:17:45 AM(edited)
EdwardoMario16 posted...
Ice moves are really good.

But Ice Pokemon generally suck. Not because of their weaknesses, but because of lack of good ability and moves.

Ice Pokemon can be really good and interesting (Mamoswine), but are hampered by really bad design.

Pretty much this, except they don't suck.
Imagine if we had an ice/fighting type with access to Ice Shard, Swords Dance and 120+ attack and speed.
Heck, imagine if Weavile had access to 100+ BP attacks like Infernape, Terrakion and Mamoswine do.

We're talking about nothing but top OU material here, despite their weaknesses.

At least we get extremely good ice-type wallbreakers such as the aforementioned Kyurem and Mamoswine.
#15pokemonfreak97Posted 2/27/2013 7:25:00 AM
The thing is that stuff like Ice Beam is so ubiquitous that you have to weigh "Ice STAB" versus all the drawbacks of an Ice typing, not Ice-type moves. If Ice-type moves were rarer on non Ice-type Pokémon, it would be different.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4
#16LenneValkiryePosted 2/27/2013 7:28:58 AM
pokemonfreak97 posted...
The thing is that stuff like Ice Beam is so ubiquitous that you have to weigh "Ice STAB" versus all the drawbacks of an Ice typing, not Ice-type moves. If Ice-type moves were rarer on non Ice-type Pokémon, it would be different.

STAB makes a lot of difference. To put in perspective, Dewgong's STAB Ice Beam is as powerful as Mewtwo's non-STAB Ice Beam.
#17KitschgardenerPosted 2/27/2013 7:45:21 AM
D, I think GF are moving on from the Kyurem etc. focus in the last games. Which is a pity, because as mentioned Ice could do with some more speedy sweepers. Maybe an anti-priority move as well.
#18Dark_EinherjarPosted 2/27/2013 7:59:02 AM(edited)
As long as Scizor and Breloom are everywhere, Ice Pokémon will have a rough time.

Being weak against two of the most powerful priority moves in the game is bad news indeed... at least Rock Pokémon enjoy a defensive boost in sandstorm and don't suffer from Stealth Rock weakness.
---
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
-Sirius Black
#19javel34Posted 2/27/2013 8:01:50 AM
Pizzaman13 posted...
I just want an Ice/Fighting snowman.

http://imageshack.us/a/img43/7103/55947428.jpg
---
Black 2 FC:0519 5089 8733
#20chronifused2Posted 2/27/2013 8:09:17 AM
Cryogenel had so much potential
But GF forgot to give it stats
---
Somewhere, Gamefreak employees are reading the topics on this board and laughing.-themagicpainman
Roxie is mine because I said so. OK?