This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So why exactly are new types wanted/expected?

#11iKhanicPosted 2/26/2013 12:03:21 AM
I'm hoping for a Zombie type
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#12CharizardFirePosted 2/26/2013 12:11:55 AM(edited)
Rattata -> Raticate.
Vulpix -> Ninetales.
Psyduck -> Golduck.
Poliwhirl -> Politoed.
Remoraid -> Octillery.
Whismur -> Loudred.
Feebas -> Milotic.
Mienfoo -> Mienshao.
Tynamo -> Eelektrik.

Those are just all off the top of my head. If they can all change that much without type changes, why can't Eevee?

Rattata -> Raticate: The biggest difference is a color change. I don't see any ribbons or a sudden change in eye color, or the loss of the collar that occurs in all non-Gen 1 Eeveelutions.
Vulpix -> Ninetales: A big more significant than the previous one, but the difference still seems less than that of Eevee -> Sylveon.
Psyduck -> Golduck: Same case as Rattata -> Raticate, albeit it is a little more different.
Poliwhirl -> Politoed: Based off of something that happens in nature, with no real difference in type thematics. I know you're likely to pass this off as an excuse, but these two are based off of animals that experience a similar appearance change in nature, and the colors aren't unusual for said animals either.
Remoraid -> Octillery: You got me there, but I did say "typical", not "absolute".
Whismur -> Loudred: Well, there is a noticeable difference, but they still run off of similar themes - just on opposite sides of the spectrum of that theme.
Feebas -> Milotic: I'll give you that one, but aside from the whole thing about me saying "typical" instead of "absolute", they're obviously meant to be counterparts to Magikarp -> Gyarados, but with a different theme.
Mienfoo -> Mienshao: True - to an extent. Body color and the flaps on Meinshao's arms are the major differences, and to me that seems a tad smaller than the differences for Eevee -> Sylveon.
Tynamo -> Eelektrik: I don't entirely get this one myself. But it's still not like the case of Eevee evolving into something that doesn't look like it belongs to a certain type. I guess I could let this one go, though, although it's definitely not as extreme as Remoraid -> Octillery.

One more thing - when you assert Sylveon as a Normal-type, you compare its appearance to that of other Normal-types. The other Eeveelutions don't need comparisons to others of their types for their types to be immediately obvious.

If they can all change that much without type changes, why can't Eevee?

I didn't say it couldn't. I said it would be a bigger difference than is typical.
---
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303/CharizardFire6/Char-Brawl.gif
#13Twilight_SonataPosted 2/26/2013 12:18:03 AM(edited)
CharizardFire posted...
You clearly ignored the part where I said more different than is typical for an evolution that matches its previous form's type.

I ignored it because I thought that it was even less relevant and warranted even less of a response than the rest of your reasoning.

You really think there's a Normal theme going on?

Yeah, I'd totally buy that. It's pink, it's cute, it has bows, and it has no particular obvious indication of any other typing? Pretty much fits what I think of as a Normal-type.

Because not once did I say "this means we're getting a new type".

Maybe not, but people do use that reasoning to insist it, so I still think it's worth pointing out the holes in.

CharizardFire posted...
The other Eeveelutions don't need comparisons to others of their types for their types to be immediately obvious.

Espeon and Umbreon aren't totally obvious. Remember that it's easy to think it's obvious when you already know, but without actually knowing, there are a lot of Pokemon that would be argued about.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#14CharizardFirePosted 2/26/2013 12:21:39 AM(edited)
CharizardFire posted...
You really think there's a Normal theme going on?

Yeah, I'd totally buy that. It's pink, it's cute, it has bows, and it has no particular obvious indication of any other typing? Pretty much fits what I think of as a Normal-type.

I see a lot of brown Normal-types (including Eevee itself), there are a bunch of cute non-Normal-types (just look at Joltik), and I don't remember any other Pokémon with bows off the top of my head.

When I think of Normal-types, I generally think of either plain-looking Pokémon (like the early-game birds and rodents), or really weird Pokémon (like Porygon and Spinda).

CharizardFire posted...
The other Eeveelutions don't need comparisons to others of their types for their types to be immediately obvious.

Espeon and Umbreon aren't totally obvious. Remember that it's easy to think it's obvious when you already know, but without actually knowing, there are a lot of Pokemon that would be argued about.

Really? Espeon has a gem on the center of its forehead and a two-pronged tail, and Umbreon is black with red eyes.

They look like a Psychic-type and a Dark-type to me.
---
#15Twilight_SonataPosted 2/26/2013 12:32:11 AM
CharizardFire posted...
I see a lot of brown Normal-types (including Eevee itself), there are a bunch of cute non-Normal-types (just look at Joltik), and I don't remember any other Pokémon with bows off the top of my head.

Sorry, none of that makes Normal less completely believable to me.

This is an example of thinking that's something is obvious because you already know it. I would have believed Ghost for either of them.
---
#16CharizardFirePosted 2/26/2013 12:39:36 AM

This is an example of thinking that's something is obvious because you already know it. I would have believed Ghost for either of them.

Hmm... maybe to you, but I would expect a Ghost-type Eeveelution to be floating.
---
#17Twilight_SonataPosted 2/26/2013 12:43:38 AM
CharizardFire posted...
I would expect a Ghost-type Eeveelution to be floating.

Why? Plenty of Ghost-types don't float. Banette, Dusclopse, Spiritomb, Giratina, Sableye, Golette... Just type in "Ghost Eevee" or "Ghost Eeveelution" into Google Images, and you'll see that most such Fakemon do not float.
---
#18Skull_proPosted 2/26/2013 12:46:03 AM
elconoM posted...
Been fourteen years since Bite became Dark.
Been fourteen years since Magnemite got metal.

A change/addition of a move/Pokemon typing could be game breaking/changing.

Poison fans want to use Poison moves more often rather than the odd status move.

Fix'd
---
Married to Clay, Driftveil city's gym leader
Official Roserade of the Pokemon X/Y boards
#19CharizardFirePosted 2/26/2013 1:20:20 AM(edited)
CharizardFire posted...
I would expect a Ghost-type Eeveelution to be floating.

Why? Plenty of Ghost-types don't float. Banette, Dusclops, Spiritomb, Giratina, Sableye, Golett... Just type in "Ghost Eevee" or "Ghost Eeveelution" into Google Images, and you'll see that most such Fakemon do not float.

Well, I could see a non-floating Ghost-type Eeveelution now, but I wouldn't have during the days of Gen 2. Back then, only one Ghost-type didn't float (and now, it does!).
---
#20Art_BuddyPosted 2/26/2013 1:17:19 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]