This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are so many people against the idea of having new Pokemon types?

#1DarkKirby2500Posted 2/26/2013 10:51:44 AM
You realize, if there are never any new types ever made, eventually, all type combinations will be used, and there will only be more Pokemon made that are plain better then previous ones with a continual pattern of an increasing amount of Pokemon that are made obsolete by new Pokemon, which is happening already.

Are people afraid of change? Afraid of the system being too complicated? Afraid of the game being more balanced?
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#2ashcrvPosted 2/26/2013 10:53:04 AM
Because it would upset the metagame and people don't want to relearn everything again.
---
MY HAIR IS ON FIRE!
#3mustardpi314Posted 2/26/2013 10:54:16 AM
it's just that all the type ideas on this board are terrible
---
Official Ninetales of the Pokemon X and Y boards
PokeDoc: http://tinyurl.com/mustardpi314
#4henriuePosted 2/26/2013 10:57:12 AM
It's not a fear of change, it is (at least for my part) laziness to memorize a whole new type chart. and on the same note lots of pokémon would have to change types
in exemple: Fairy- Clafairy line Chansey line, celebi...
Sound - Chatot and whismur line.
and so on. the last new types we had were types we needed, steel and dark to balance the game. Psychic was too strong.
#5KitschgardenerPosted 2/26/2013 11:00:30 AM

This, plus:

-It messes up Hidden Power (which can only be one of 16 types) so that would have to be changed, presumably without changing importees' HP type (HP Electric Jolteon? NOOO)

-It is unlikely to just, say, give Ice a resistance and Poison a super effective advantage over it. More probably, it would hurt some other average type (some say Dark should be weak against a Light-type, etc.) or boost some already strong type.
#6Xerneas66Posted 2/26/2013 11:01:03 AM
Because many people think that the current type chart is fine as it is, and new types could easily kill the balance between types.
#7enixroxPosted 2/26/2013 11:01:29 AM
mustardpi314 posted...

^^This.

If they make a "love" type like several people on here keep bringing up, I'm gonna punch a GF employee in the face.
---
My co-worker knew I was married without even having to ask. It makes sense considering I'm dead inside.
3DS FC: 414117870987
#8DarkKirby2500(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 11:08:44 AM
Kitschgardener posted...

This, plus:

-It messes up Hidden Power (which can only be one of 16 types) so that would have to be changed, presumably without changing importees' HP type (HP Electric Jolteon? NOOO)

-It is unlikely to just, say, give Ice a resistance and Poison a super effective advantage over it. More probably, it would hurt some other average type (some say Dark should be weak against a Light-type, etc.) or boost some already strong type.

Hidden Power excuses are always bad. IVs are terrible for competitive play, and Hidden Power could always be replaced with another mechanic if they wanted to keep it.

And you know what would be better then Hidden Power being a crutch for special attackers? Actually give special attackers reliable high power attacks like physical attackers have. You know, outside of uber.

And in response to other posts about balance, the game ISN'T balanced now.
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#9HydoomPosted 2/26/2013 11:11:48 AM
...? A new type wouldn't make THAT much of an impact in the metagame... would it?

To be honest though, a new type being added wouldn't really... be a good idea.

See, it's not that it would break the metagame, it's that it's representation would be VERY small. There would need to be a vast majority of pokemon of this new type in Gen6 just to balance out it's distribution. I'm fairly certain most people wouldn't want 10% to 30% of the pokemon being of that one new type in one single generation.

Unless a Retcon occurred. And even then, such a retcon would be hard to apply since most pokemon thus far are adapted to the 17 types we have.

Even further beyond that, what type could even be added? Pokemon has covered nearly every possible base with it's presented types. The only one not touched extensively is "Light" which even then, Psychic and Electric types leisurely include Light attributes in their own list of moves.
#10KitschgardenerPosted 2/26/2013 11:29:07 AM
Hidden Power excuses are always bad. IVs are terrible for competitive play, and Hidden Power could always be replaced with another mechanic if they wanted to keep it.

And you know what would be better then Hidden Power being a crutch for special attackers? Actually give special attackers reliable high power attacks like physical attackers have. You know, outside of uber.

LOL. You want to get rid of Hidden Power? When your ideas for a new type involve making attacks useless, you know you've jumped the shark.