This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are so many people against the idea of having new Pokemon types?

#31KeeperOfShadowsPosted 2/26/2013 12:47:56 PM
I wouldn't mind new types, but I'll be perfectly happy without them. We're already gonna have new pokemon, new abilities, and new moves to hopefully shake things up a bit. New types would just be extra icing on the cake(and I don't have much of a sweet tooth...).
---
Official Admin of Team Miror. Don't judge me, my Shadow Shuckle will destroy you!
Feel free to apply sarcasm tags if you didn't like my post.
#32bobstevens23123Posted 2/26/2013 12:51:50 PM
mustardpi314 posted...
it's just that all the type ideas on this board are terrible

---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960188-call-of-duty-black-ops/59821100
#33KitschgardenerPosted 2/26/2013 12:56:51 PM
If they really wanted to keep Hidden Power without IVs, it wouldn't be hard. You could just put a machine in the game that lets you choose Hidden Power type, or if they wanted to be mystical about it, a shrine, field, or cave, that has an object for each type to interact with.

Did you even read what I wrote?

PIDs would need to be altered if IVs no longer determine its type.

Because there is never a reason to have Hidden Power under 70.

Technician. And don't give me this "ah but Technician would need to be changed too to accommodate my new type" gibberish.

You're doing a terrible job pushing for new types when you have a poor idea of how Pokémon data structures and gameplay work.
#34KeeperOfShadowsPosted 2/26/2013 12:59:27 PM
mustardpi314 posted...

Thats really not a reason to be against new types. Do people actually think Gamefreak employees are searching this board for gameplay ideas?
---
Official Admin of Team Miror. Don't judge me, my Shadow Shuckle will destroy you!
#35enixroxPosted 2/26/2013 1:03:51 PM(edited)
KeeperOfShadows posted...
mustardpi314 posted...

Thats really not a reason to be against new types. Do people actually think Gamefreak employees are searching this board for gameplay ideas?

He didn't say he was against them completely. The ones on this board are awful and he pointed that out.

I agree with him. I'm not against a new type, however I am against the types listed on this board.

Obviously GF employees aren't searching this board for ideas. It's asinine to think that they would be and no one suggested that.
---
My co-worker knew I was married without even having to ask. It makes sense considering I'm dead inside.
3DS FC: 414117870987
#36KeeperOfShadowsPosted 2/26/2013 1:08:14 PM
enixrox posted...
mustardpi314 posted...

He didn't say he was against them completely. The ones on this board are awful and he pointed that out.

I agree with him. I'm not against a new type, however I am against the types listed on this board.

Obviously GF employees aren't searching this board for ideas. It's asinine to think that they would be and no one suggested that.

Technically, he doesn't say hes not completely against them either(though i assume he isnt). Regardless, I was using his post as a general statement, not replying to him specifically. You'd be surprised how short-sighted some people are.
---
#37enixroxPosted 2/26/2013 1:10:21 PM
enixrox posted...
mustardpi314 posted...

Technically, he doesn't say hes not completely against them either(though i assume he isnt). Regardless, I was using his post as a general statement, not replying to him specifically. You'd be surprised how short-sighted some people are.

True.
---
My co-worker knew I was married without even having to ask. It makes sense considering I'm dead inside.
3DS FC: 414117870987
#38jayman7Posted 2/26/2013 1:24:16 PM
vitaminVTEC posted...
there are definitely "weak" and "strong" types, but everything has a counter. there's nothing that screams "FIX ME" anymore. think of how broken gengar would become if poison wasn't such a weak type.

He'd, uh, get a STAB advantage on one or two other types? Hardly a game changer since he now has STAB weaknesses of a mere three. Right now, the worst thing impacting Gengar regarding the Poison type is a weakness to Psychic (since he's immune to Ground), and no one is asking for Poison to lose its Psychic weakness.

And I fail to see how Light is a "terrible" hypothetical type. Not an opposite to Pokemon-Dark? Okay. "Terrible" type? Don't see it. It's a difficult argument to take seriously when lots of other RPGs have a Light element and don't suck for it - and heck, some games have a Light element despite not having a Dark at all!

Yes, I do agree that "Love" is an awful type idea.

For the record, I do not care whether or not they add new types so long as they're smart about it.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#39HydoomPosted 2/26/2013 1:25:35 PM
DarkKirby2500 posted...
The whole idea of new types is so it WILL change the metagame. Not so it will change nothing.

You wouldn't need a load of new Pokemon in new types to make a difference. Tyranitar existing in Gen 2 single handedly made most available psychics terrible. Steel and Dark were a minority in Gen 2 and still had an impact.

I repeat, the current game in vanilla form is not balanced, for many reasons, types being only one of them, and really, not the most serious problem.

Then you go on to add adding new types would be impossible because it wouldn't make sense logically and all ideas have already bee used. Since when was Pokemon about real life logic? You can argue, that new types ideas are poor and "don't make sense", but in the end, it was never a requirement for any type to "make sense".

Touche with the Tyranitar point, however I never intended to delve into the metagame. The metagame is already atrocious as is. But, I'll admit I didn't look into Steel and Dark and their intentional addition to counter Psychic typed pokemon. Though, the Special-Stat Split devastated the Psychic type party anyway.

Additionally, I never said new types would be impossible. I may have mistakenly implied this, yes, but I never delved into the logistics behind it. I merely pointed out that there are very few bases left to be covered that don't already mold themselves into other types, i.e. Light into Psychic and Electric, and Mecha/Robot into Steel.
additionally, to add a new type likely would involve a massive retcon across the board, which would THEN drastically affect the metagame as a byproduct.

:/ Either way, our main points, "Adding a new type wouldn't work too well," are still one and the same. It's just our views are different.
#40Emerald_MeliosPosted 2/26/2013 3:59:42 PM
DarkKirby2500 posted...
You realize, if there are never any new types ever made, eventually, all type combinations will be used, and there will only be more Pokemon made that are plain better then previous ones with a continual pattern of an increasing amount of Pokemon that are made obsolete by new Pokemon, which is happening already.

Are people afraid of change? Afraid of the system being too complicated? Afraid of the game being more balanced?

I'm okay with new types if it means a rebalancing of existing types.