This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So Smogon has banned Deoxys-D

#71LioleiaPosted 2/28/2013 7:00:40 AM
LenneValkirye posted...
Lioleia posted...
I honestly don't see the issue. If you disagree with Smogon, don't play by their rules or in their house. That's easy, isn't it?

Unfortunately it's not that simple.
Smogon and PO have been copying each other for a while now.
Smogon bans Snow Cloak/Sand Veil? PO does too!
PO drops Kyurem-B from ubers? Smogon does too!
Deoxys-D will soon be banned from PO as well, trust me.

Smogon is a cancer that affects every Pokemon simulator out there.

Not Smogon's fault. They're just reaching similar conclusions. There is always wifi.
---
lee-oh-leh-ee-ah.
It is perfectly okay to write garbage--as long as you edit brilliantly. --Carolyn Janice Cherryh
#72LioleiaPosted 2/28/2013 7:07:53 AM
ThatPersonGuy posted...
Ultimate_Nova_X posted...
Lioleia posted...
I honestly don't see the issue. If you disagree with Smogon, don't play by their rules or in their house. That's easy, isn't it?

this.

Pokemon wasn't meant to be balanced. I agree there should be some rules and restriction, if only to try and make competitive less obvious of a rock-paper-scissor match. But I think smogon takes it too far.

Actually, I think it was. Pokemon SHOULD be balanced, and they should put more effort into making each pokemon competitive.

This is not a fighting game.

I doubt Pokemon was ever intended to be played competitively, but look where we are now. RBY's balance was a mess. Making every Pokemon--or even just every evolutionary line--competitively viable in OU would be ridiculous. You would have to adjust BST, movepools, abilities, etc. Obviously, GF is wary about retconning things. DW was probably an attempt at giving some Pokemon better abilities, but they're very averse to changing movepools or base stats. Even if they did it, tiers would still be developed and divide the cream of the crop from everything else. Tiers are based on usage after all.
---
lee-oh-leh-ee-ah.
It is perfectly okay to write garbage--as long as you edit brilliantly. --Carolyn Janice Cherryh
#73LenneValkiryePosted 2/28/2013 7:13:09 AM
With Deo-D gone, every single Spikes user in OU (except Cloyster, not like anyone would use it as a spiker) is a steel-type.
I'm not sure you people realize what this means if Drizzle is banned next.
#74pokemonfreak97Posted 2/28/2013 10:10:36 AM(edited)
pokemonzero posted...
does not surprise me.

nothing surprises me when Smogon is involved.
The same Smogon that put Kyurem-B as OU and Kyurem-W as Uber.
Why smogon it is the same pokemon same speed only difference is one has higher special stats and the other physical stats Same BST.

Look at the Kyurem learnset. Its learned Physical moves:

Slash
Outrage
Dragon Claw
Return
Frustration
Rock Tomb
Facade
Fling
Shadow Claw
Payback
Giga Impact
Stone Edge
Rock Slide
Dragon Tail
Rock Smash
Cut
Fly
Strength
Iron Head
Zen Headbutt
Fusion Bolt
Freeze Shock (both for B Kyurem)

Special moves:

Icy Wind
AncientPower
Ice Beam
DragonBreath
Dragon Pulse
Blizzard
Hyper Voice
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Round
Echoed Voice
Focus Blast
Flash Cannon
Draco Meteor
Earth Power
Signal Beam
Snore
Fusion Flare
Ice Burn (both for W Kyurem)

It technically has a larger physical movepool, but let's look at their best STAB moves of each type

Kyurem-B: Outrage and... Freeze Shock
Kyurem-W: Draco Meteor and Blizzard

Freeze Shock is the ONLY Physical Ice-type move Black Kyurem learns, while Kyurem-W, besides stupid Ice Burn, gets Icy Wind, Ice Beam, and Blizzard. It also gets Draco Meteor, which is comparable to Outrage, so they're tied in that part.

Black Kyurem essentially has Flareon's problem; it doesn't have the moves. It would be great with, say, Icicle Crash.

Both move-lists courtesy Bulbapedia.

EDIT: To the person directly above me, Drought runs rampant as Fire-types, boosted in the sun, eliminate spikes from the metagame as a whole, and not even Cloyster is safe from the Sunny Day SolarBeams of doom? In other news, Tyranitar usage goes up to counter this. Abomasnow hits an all-time low in usage as Fire-type move usage goes up.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4
#75LenneValkiryePosted 2/28/2013 11:00:04 AM(edited)
Dragon hits 16 out of 17 types for neutral or SE damage, missing out on steel types alone.
Kyurem-B has 120 Sp.Atk and Focus Blast/Earth Power to deal with most steel types.
Every single pokemon in the game is at least 2HKO'd with the mixed LO set (Outrage, Fusion Bolt, Ice Beam and Focus Blast).
Kyurem-B has no counters, only checks, all of which are steel-types and easily trapped by Magnezone.
Assuming Drizzle gets banned, HP Fire becomes a very viable alternative that flat out OHKO's Scizor and Ferrothorn.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how Kyu-B is not uber material.
#76GiftedACIIIPosted 2/28/2013 12:18:05 PM
LenneValkirye posted...
Dragon hits 16 out of 17 types for neutral or SE damage, missing out on steel types alone.
Kyurem-B has 120 Sp.Atk and Focus Blast/Earth Power to deal with most steel types.
Every single pokemon in the game is at least 2HKO'd with the mixed LO set (Outrage, Fusion Bolt, Ice Beam and Focus Blast).
Kyurem-B has no counters, only checks, all of which are steel-types and easily trapped by Magnezone.
Assuming Drizzle gets banned, HP Fire becomes a very viable alternative that flat out OHKO's Scizor and Ferrothorn.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how Kyu-B is not uber material.

Outrage gets him stuck so that any steel type or faster Pokemon gets to eliminate him. Plus stealth rock and with how offensive the metagame is he usually gets deleted before his trainer even gets to click a button thanks to his relatively poor speed for OU. Choice Scarf on the other hand... Maybe its because he dies to the most common and strongest priority in the game... Scizor's Bullet Punch and Breloom's Mach punch

With Deo-D gone, every single Spikes user in OU (except Cloyster, not like anyone would use it as a spiker) is a steel-type.
I'm not sure you people realize what this means if Drizzle is banned next.

Are you implying sand will reign? Or that Sun will be the premier weather to counter them? Sun would actually be nice, its the harder to use weather, and never got a chance to stand out throughout all the years. I doubt they'd start banning much things anyways since its almost 6th gen time and Drizzle hasn't already lasted so long, theres no point in banning it since its pretty much a staple now like stealth rock
#77noname2lazyPosted 2/28/2013 12:33:41 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this but it wasn't really broken imo it was really easy to limit it to just Stealth Rock but then again I mostly use PO when competitive battling and the tiers are a little different there.
#78MugilokoPosted 2/28/2013 12:35:36 PM
Deoxys-D was obviously too good for the OU metagame.
---
B1 FC:1807-8830-3725 "Squids are evil!" http://i.imgur.com/ayRpQlZ.png
Official Zoroark of the Pokemon XY board
#79GiftedACIIIPosted 2/28/2013 12:47:15 PM
Mugiloko posted...
Deoxys-D was obviously too good for the OU metagame.

I know this is sarcasm but its completely impossible to stop Deoxys-D from doing what it was meant to do, setting up stuff. He is completely uncounterable. He survives everything even a Specs Hydreigon's dark pulse, can taunt to stop you from setting up, magic coat to stop faster taunt users, and finally skill swap to stop Espeon and Xatu, a last resort. Then after the hazards are up, the hyper offense teams start rampaging keeping the flow too fast for rapid spinners to spin. Of course on noob teams Deoxys-d=free set up. But on noob teams Arceus can be easily taken down if all they do is spam judgement against Blissey
#80ZeroArcheryPosted 2/28/2013 12:55:08 PM
GiftedACIII posted...
And another thing, most of these elitist callers look down on stuff like the anime too showing their own elitism, and calling Ash an idiot... well that's how noncompetitive people who blab without knowing what they're talking about look like to competitive people.

-Top 8 (I think it was) in Johto
-Top 4 in Sinnoh- was stolen from him from someone using all Legends, defeating your point. But was the only Trainer to take down Tomias' Darkrai, as it was said not even the Gym Leaders could take it down.
-Cleared the Battle Frontier

I can't remember off the top of my head for Hoenn League, I think it was top 4, and I think in Kanto it was top 16 because of his Charizard.

Ash is greatly underestimated, though it was largely because of the new management for Sinnoh and on. Ash had amazing character development, and actually aged until new management happened (In Kanto, there was an anniversary for when Ash first met Pikachu, and annouced in a actual episode it's been 5 Months since he left home). In Hoenn, you saw Ash learn to deal with different difficulties, how he even lost his temper when he lost and lashed at his friends, and had to swallow his pride and grew up.

Then Sinnoh happened. Then Unova happened.

Largely those who follow the show usually agree that Battle Frontier was an amazing ending with a bang for the old team, and most of the time when talking about Ash's skill we tend to talk Sinnoh and back.

Just thought I'd post this. I love talking about this stuff.
---
Official President of the NST
'But Neku, I thought you couldn't afford to lose? Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world.' - Joshua